Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

visions

Arcane
Whether we think their work is valuable or stable or whatever is beside the point, we're not their parents. The point is that making that stuff takes time and money, resources they could be using in activities that get them more money. The fact I'm doing something for fun doesn't necessarily mean I'll be okay with losing money for doing it.

The point is, thinking you can live happily ever after from producing gimmicky videos for youtube is incredibly shortsighted, so don't be surprised when you'll be forced to get a job producing something of more tangible value.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And how is that different than any job?

Who knows, but when you get fired from your job you don't tend to claim your boss shouldn't be allowed to do so.
Except when you do, and people do quite often. Hello litigation.

And people can appeal the copyright notices here if they want, that's not the point. The point is simply that if you want to actually build a following or career you shouldn't do it on a site that controls your entire destiny to such an absurd degree. Like youtube having issues with copyrighted clips is any kind of fucking revelation. No one saw that shit coming! Go ahead and build your entire life around it, I'm sure it'll work out great!

The fact anyone is denying the naivete surrounding that decision is baffling to me.

Well, I am not defending or attacking career choices because as I said I'm not Joe's dad, so I'm not interested in giving him life advice. Just saying that it's understandable for him to be upset if the rules are suddenly changed overnight, even if youtube technically has the rights to fuck him over.

Hey bro host your stuff here it's awesome and OOOPS the bot claimed all your stuffies, go talk to the people who own the content...you already did that, and they told you to talk to us? Well bro it seems like we're in a bit of an impasse innit

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The point is, thinking you can live happily ever after from producing gimmicky videos for youtube is incredibly shortsighted, so don't be surprised when you'll be forced to get a job producing something of more tangible value.
It's a really tasteless thing to say in times when productivity is growing but less and less of people are needed for that productivity.
In other words, until basic income is implemented, bullshit jobs like these are going to be the only source of income for a growing number of people.

And people can appeal the copyright notices here if they want, that's not the point. The point is simply that if you want to actually build a following or career you shouldn't do it on a site that controls your entire destiny to such an absurd degree. Like youtube having issues with copyrighted clips is any kind of fucking revelation. No one saw that shit coming! Go ahead and build your entire life around it, I'm sure it'll work out great!

The fact anyone is denying the naivete surrounding that decision is baffling to me.
Maybe it was the last resort for them? Not a question of naivete but more of a necessity?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, I am not defending or attacking career choices because as I said I'm not Joe's dad, so I'm not interested in giving him life advice. Just saying that it's understandable for him to be upset if the rules are suddenly changed overnight, even if youtube technically has the rights to fuck him over.

I don't blame him for being pissed, I am just irritated by the civil rights tone of the coverage and complaints. "Down with the MAN, who dares to step between me and my youtube money!"

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
7klF8T0.jpg

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
http://www.moddb.com/events/2013-mod-of-the-year-awards

I started to writing (somewhat) joking&sarcasm comment about Misery 2.0 nomination (because it's shitty mod that crushed our hope) when suddenly....

qZKL7we.jpg

:rpgcodex:
Just a followup from this. I am on IndieDB and all the categories for Indie of the Year are laughable.
http://www.indiedb.com/events/2013-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100

"Point and Click" and "Adventure" are separate categories. "Adventure" contains a game called Into the Dark, which has at least one gun in seemingly every screenshot. It also has 9.03m, which is apparently this year's walking simulator. It was at least made for charity though.
Outlast is apparently an FPS.
Starbound is in "Role Playing," whereas Darkout is in "Platformer," when they're the same kind of game.
The Stanley Parable and Soda Drinker Pro are "Realistic Sims??????????"
?????????
Natural Selection 2 is a "Real Time Shooter"

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Real Time Shooter
What, as opposed to a turn-based shooter?
I might be confusing it with some ioQuake3 based game, but I think Natural Selection 2 might have some real time strategy elements, so that may be what the title refers to, but in that case it would just be better to call it "strategy shooter hybrid" or "tactical shooter" or just fucking FPS.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
broteampill's cousin Orayn made a twitter account called @PorygonNews

https://twitter.com/PorygonNews

Premiere of Tropes vs. Women: The Movie met with controversy. Police disperse fedora-wearing protesters with fire hoses and tear gas.

Geoff Keighley was right: Once-fictional drug "melange" can be synthesized from Mtn. Dew and #Doritos under immense heat and pressure.

YouTube defends content ID changes as necessary to defeat DakrSydePhil and bring balance to the force. Internet begrudgingly agrees.

Ninjerk

Arcane

I don't blame him for being pissed, I am just irritated by the civil rights tone of the coverage and complaints. "Down with the MAN, who dares to step between me and my youtube money!"
There are articles with a similar tone being tossed about by creatively barren social gaming companies.

The difference is that google/youtube accepts that lets plays/gameplay videos are a commercially valuable and viable way to make money, then google/youtube turns around and says that the one making the money should be the game publisher. I can't rightfully wrap my head around the logical gymnastics required to hold both of this fundamentally incompatible beliefs as true at the same time.

Of course, it's legal to google/youtube not to pay people for ads on their videos. It's also legal for google/youtube to gift publishers whatever they want. But there is no logical basis for the entire thing, it's just an ugly bribe to get them to go away.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
admit it, you are actually part of the evil cult that makes people think this game was good.

i mean, it had tons of quests, but when it´s basically the same quest reskinned again, and again, and again, and again……and again and again, it loses it´s charm.

Strange how nobody has problem with Skyrim doing it :P

And I don’t mean Radiant-quests only…

heh

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Welp, there goes all the respect I had for John Walker.

Guess I'm down to Alec Meer as readable rps writers.

Luzur

Good Sir
hey guys, i just found the Codex Game of the Year when searching for Indie games on Yotube:

i am sure we all expect a LP.

(time to clear out my youtube video browsing list again...)

hey guys, i just found the Codex Game of the Year when searching for Indie games on Yotube:

7:04

Strange...

The whole forest is littered with these rectangular plateaus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom