Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
fairly old but... it's funneh

1395680242057.png

Lemming42

Arcane
Does anyone have the big image that has the quest comparison but also a bunch of other comparisons between F3 and other Fallout games? I remember it had Tim Cain's "exploring the ethics of a post-nuclear world" quote next to Todd's "violence is fucking hilarious" quote at the top right. It's been posted on this site a lot but I wouldn't know where to start looking for it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To be fair New Vegas labels damn near everything a quest, whereas Fallout 3 kept the full quest label strictly to the bigger stuff. I don't think that's a quality measure.

Lemming42

Arcane
To be fair New Vegas labels damn near everything a quest, whereas Fallout 3 kept the full quest label strictly to the bigger stuff. I don't think that's a quality measure.

A lot of Fallout 3's named quests were just as brief of some of NV's unmarked quests.
I remember stuff like Reilly's Rangers and You Gotta Shoot 'Em In The Head being fairly extensive (though of questionable quality) but Agatha's Song, The Nuka Cola Challenge and to a lesser extent Oasis all take about 5 minutes and aren't particularly interesting.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A lot of Fallout 3's named quests were just as brief of some of NV's unmarked quests. I remember stuff like Reilly's Rangers and You Gotta Shoot 'Em In The Head being fairly extensive (though of questionable quality) but Agatha's Song, The Nuka Cola Challenge and to a lesser extent Oasis all take about 5 minutes and aren't particularly interesting.

I don't really want to get into a one-on-one comparison of random quests. I'm just saying New Vegas gives the full quest label to a lot of things like running a briefcase to someone 100 meters away, and shit like that. It having a much longer quest list doesn't really mean there's a ton more content.

I'm saying this as someone who loves New Vegas and hates Fallout 3, more or less. I just believe in being accurate.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Gamefaqs thread about Thief 2014 not having third-person: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960105-thief/68747628

Antsh
Hard to stealth in first person.

Catsimboy
It's not that big a deal since the game takes the fact that it's first person only into consideration by giving you audio cues when you're being seen.

Antsh
Reacting to audio is an action not gameplay, therefore it is not stealth.

Your argument is, thus, invalid.

:retarded:

Oh, that's normal Gamefaqs. Ah, the good old days when I was 13 posting there...

The LUE board there was basically what corrupted me into the darker ways of the internet.

Does anyone have the big image that has the quest comparison but also a bunch of other comparisons between F3 and other Fallout games? I remember it had Tim Cain's "exploring the ethics of a post-nuclear world" quote next to Todd's "violence is fucking hilarious" quote at the top right. It's been posted on this site a lot but I wouldn't know where to start looking for it.

Googled "Fallout 3 comparison" :M

ccdgCtO.jpg

Bonus: this is like that thing DalekFlay was talking about.

zljk3.png

Don't forget this one:

4I4URT5.png

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
To be fair, I think what they were going for with Colonel Autumn was that he just wanted to take over the wasteland, the water purifier being his way of gaining influence over the general populace. Him sabotaging the purifier was probably intended to be a last-ditch "If we can't have it, nobody can" thing when he realized they were going to lose the plant. Being written by Bethesda, however, this is communicated horribly. Why Autumn didn't simply try to recruit you as a double agent on their side (when he clearly opposes the genocide President Eden wants to enact) is a mystery as well.

The super mutants, though, they really make no fucking sense in this game.

Yup. The Enclave (commanded de facto by Autumn even though Eden's supposedly in charge) wanted to take control of the purifier, supposedly setting up a fortress there that would be really hard to conquer. The BoS wants to get there first and secure the place before that happens. Eden wants to poison it with FEV because he's still hung up on the old (FO2) Enclave's objective (wipe out the unclean). The game doesn't really explain much of that and it looks like it's a race to see who will push the button first.

The supermutants don't have a leader so they just derp around trying to make more of themselves.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
To be fair, I think what they were going for with Colonel Autumn was that he just wanted to take over the wasteland, the water purifier being his way of gaining influence over the general populace. Him sabotaging the purifier was probably intended to be a last-ditch "If we can't have it, nobody can" thing when he realized they were going to lose the plant. Being written by Bethesda, however, this is communicated horribly. Why Autumn didn't simply try to recruit you as a double agent on their side (when he clearly opposes the genocide President Eden wants to enact) is a mystery as well.

Which always made me wonder...if Autumn is supposed to be evil, why isn't joining him the evil option?

It would make more sense than the option that genetically poisons everyone, including you.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

Which always made me wonder...if Autumn is supposed to be evil, why isn't joining him the evil option?

It would make more sense than the option that genetically poisons everyone, including you.
Because that would involve actually having to re-work the end-game so that it took into account your decisions in any meaningful way (i.e. having to redo the action sequence at Raven Rock, having to work out a way to do the final battle as a defensive thing rather than an attack, having to figure out some other way for the purifier to nearly overload, etc).

Plus the game depicts most of its evil elements as being cartoonishly evil and/or petty, so the actual evil decision they put for the ending does mesh with all its other depictions of 'evil' characters in the game. The fact that Broken Steel proves that you're just as affected by the poisoned water as everyone else proves that, to Bethesda, evil is dumb.

Lemming42

Arcane

That's the one, thanks. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom