Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Angthoron

Arcane
While games like Heavy Rain and whatever the fuck that new one was are trying to approach the world through the angle of realism, some developers still can't let go of their childish desire for children's games with talking ducks.

This is why games can't be art.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's over, lay down your weapons and jump into that ditch right over there:
1391358133828hxup1.png

139135806144239sfu.jpg

1391360889466uks4z.png

tumblr_mlyitej1bT1s67vyfo2_250.gif

As a coping mechanism I'm going to tell myself they're all trolls.

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, it's not like Scrooge needs much more characterization other than "He's Donald's uncle, rich as fuck and he's searching for treasure because he wants to become even richer", something that can be easily transmitted in the intro. Sure, there is a lot more to his character, but that's more than enough to accept why you're playing as him in a platformer game.

...do they know who Donald is then? other then that "duck walking around Disneyland"..?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Erik Kain is very mad about see-through-walls abilities.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20140203

I'm not sure that I agree with him that it's a bad mechanic entirely. The heart beat sensor in RB6 and the sniper rifle that let you see through walls in Perfect Dark were really fun to use. However, that does lead into this second point. There was a cost associated with using the ability in both those games. In RB6 you had to equip the sensor which meant you weren't holding a gun. In Perfect Dark, you had to use the rifle's scope, which meant reducing peripheral vision and the gun itself fired slowly (this is a bigger problem when aiming with thumbsticks).

http://steamcommunity.com/app/253430/discussions/0/540732596667358881/

Another said:
The moment when you realize Castleminer Z was out before Skyrim...just saying.

bebbijess said:
Oh, 2 days before? So the developers of this game had no idea that one of the biggest AAA titles of that generation from one of the best-selling game series ever was going to have dragons in it?

'k.

Another said:
In your logic, all games with dragon's are a ripoff of Skyrim? Give me a break.

gretchin said:
skyrim invented dragons

CrazEJI said:
not really but if u trying to say something u mean elder scrolls

gretchin said:
yeah sry elder scrolls invented dragons ty 4 teh correction

:lol:

Delterius

Arcane
I wonder if being a developer on Steam is not unlike being a youtube celebrity. What with the hordes of morons who provide your pay check being a constant disappointment in every comment section you go.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh look, obviously retarded people can actually be banned on Steam discussions.

Minor bit of incline there.

LivingOne

Savant
lol @ david cage fanboys:http://social.bioware.com/forum/BioWare-General/Off-Topic/Game-over-sequence-and-save-load-system---the-Groundhog-Day-Syndrome-of-gaming-experience-17821123-1.html

I think that many players will agree that any interesting heavily story-driven RPG is not just a possibility to take part in an interesting fictional story, but also a test of abilities in fictional combat and/or in making fictional decisions.

Test of abilities is only valid when you didn't know all the detailes of the test before. If you did, then you just test your memory and overall phisical and/or mental condition, and the test has dramatically lowered difficulty level. At the same time, heavily story-driven RPG has to have logical and well-thought-out story, or the test will not be immersive and realistic enough.

This leads us to the interesting conclusions:
(1) The only true playthrough is the very first one - when you didn't know the story details.
(2) Game over sequence and save-load system are negatively impacting levels of immersion and difficulty.

What exactly are these game over sequence and save-load system for a game story-wise? Nothing. Game over is a story-stopper, while save-load system is an ability to go back in game's time in order to try to avoid the story-stopper. This "time traveling" has no in-game story-wise justification, and provides you with an advantage of knowing the details before passing the test.

Additional playthroughs after the very first one may let you know what would actually happen if you did something differently, and this is good. But aside from this, additional playthroughs are no better than the save-load system, because you already know many story details and have an advantage both in combat and in making decisions.

This is the Groundhog Day Syndrome of the gaming experience. "Save-and-load-it-to-victory". "I will make my canon playthrough only after several common playthrough attempts". What kind of storytelling and story reading this is? What kind of testing this is?... Don't get me wrong, I like challenging gameplay. But failure must not always cause the character's death and story-stopper. Failure may lead the story another way, changing the local and major outcomes instead.

This is why I believe Beyond: Two Souls is the only exceptional heavily story-driven RPG right now. Quantic Dream blasted the Groundhog Day Syndrome to pieces. The game has only one auto-save. And user has only one attempt to perform something challenging successfully during one playthrough - auto-save will be made just after the attempt, no matter how successful the outcome was. Fail - and local or major outcomes will be changed permanently. The only alternative to this is "fatal difficulty level" like in TW2 or Diablo2, but this option is even less popular than QD games. I believe QD has shown us the best possible cure to the Syndrome.

Delterius

Arcane
Of all the contrived reasons to use RPG as a legitimizing word for a game, this is the worst. Really. After reading this I am ready to take most anyone's definition at face value. Even if DraQ posts directly under me saying that the only RPG that ever was is Morrowind and nothing lesser than Morrowind could ever be an RPG. The day Beyond Two Souls is an RPG is the day Scientology will become the one True Religion of Vatican City.

Suicidal

Arcane
Super Mario Bros is an RPG because you play the role of Mario anDJHFUKHKLXCSJPOX}WDIWCJEIOCJWOSKQPZKLAXKSL:XML:MKIOPWUDFO{DJO

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Don't get me wrong, I like challenging gameplay. But failure must not always cause the character's death and story-stopper. Failure may lead the story another way, changing the local and major outcomes instead.
"I like challenge...I just don't like it when I can fail the challenge."
I would make a game for him. You would face only extreme chalenges, and failing them would still progress the story, but lead to a "you're a loser" ending. The butthurt would be glorious.

Whiner

Augur
Fat lesbian talks about game journo money:

You would think that the "bribe with Doritos and Mountain Dew" thing was a joke.You would be wrong.

Tytus

Arcane
Fat lesbian talks about game journo money:

You would think that the "bribe with Doritos and Mountain Dew" thing was a joke.You would be wrong.

This fat lesbian lost credibily to me when he was defending getting free consoles and free games from publishers.

Becasue:

"It's his job and he can't be paying to do he's job."

Yes, so If want to be a professional photographer I should get professional cameras, lenses, photo editing sofware, memory cards, money for the gas I spent driving to locations etc. for free, because it's my job and I can't be paying to do my job.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
This fat lesbian lost credibily to me when he was defending getting free consoles and free games from publishers.

Becasue:

"It's his job and he can't be paying to do he's job."

Yes, so If want to be a professional photographer I should get professional cameras, lenses, photo editing sofware, memory cards, money for the gas I spent driving to locations etc. for free, because it's my job and I can't be paying to do my job.
I suspect that as professional photographer you have much greater freedom of deciding what you charge for doing your job. Also, reviewers rely on free games from publishers because they usually need to make reviews before the game comes out to public.

Which makes professional reviewers inherently unreliable.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Don't get me wrong, I like challenging gameplay. But failure must not always cause the character's death and story-stopper. Failure may lead the story another way, changing the local and major outcomes instead.
I would make a game for him. You would face only extreme chalenges, and failing them would still progress the story, but lead to a "you're a loser" ending. The butthurt would be glorious.
This is the first time I've seen SBTE material generated in the SBTE itself.

Delterius

Arcane
That would actually be glorious. Didn't Wing Commander do this?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I suspect that as professional photographer you have much greater freedom of deciding what you charge for doing your job. Also, reviewers rely on free games from publishers because they usually need to make reviews before the game comes out to public.

Which makes professional reviewers inherently unreliable.
Professional photographers are actually good at their jobs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom