Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

DaveO

Erudite
My new Might & Magic site is hosted by the Sorcerer's Site thanks so much to Taluntain! Check my signature for the new link, Luzur.

The cartographics for Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger were taken down, so unfortunately I don't have those as resources any more. :(

Thru the Wayback site, I found that the cartographics can be accessed using the Wayback site at:
http://geocities.com/SoHo/Exhibit/2762/wced/main.htm

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The cartographics for Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger were taken down, so unfortunately I don't have those as resources any more. :(

Can't you ask Taluntain to host them, too? Or do you mean you don't have them anymore yourself?

DaveO

Erudite
The cartographics were set up by Andrew Schultz. The guy made dozens if not hundreds of RPG walkthrus. I'd have to get his permission, and the CRPGAddict could not find traces of him. I don't know if he's still alive or not.

Luzur

Good Sir

DaveO

Erudite
Thanks for all the digging. I might have notified the CRPGAddict, EXCEPT for the fact that he quit on Wizard's Crown.

Luzur

Good Sir
My new Might & Magic site is hosted by the Sorcerer's Site thanks so much to Taluntain! Check my signature for the new link, Luzur.

Thru the Wayback site, I found that the cartographics can be accessed using the Wayback site at:
http://geocities.com/SoHo/Exhibit/2762/wced/main.htm

wow, going for the old style huh? reminded me alot of late 90's geocities sites.

heh, i just looked into your "thanks" list, and you really got some recognizable names there, Cool Jerk and his RPG Center site which i used to browse alot, TELP´s Bones, Kaptain Caveman (he was a Heroes nut wasnt he? i have vague memories of him from the 3DO community) the Guild of the Wooden Flute (used to type lulzy stuff in the name pop-up, never reflected that it was made by you though), Elara (i think she used to do solo adventures in MM6-8? atleast the name rings a bell in that direction, i know she was in the same gang as Ribannah and Sir Felgar).

Luzur

Good Sir
also i found this part about MM9 when reading an article of Might and Magic history on Celestial Heavens:

Not long after the "Great Cataclysm" in 3DO, Tim Lang found a place as the first game designer in Nival Interactive's new US studio. Nival had a good relationship with Ubisoft, and – interested in ascertaining whether or not the publishers were planning Might and Magic X – Lang drafted his own sequel proposal, its story outline building on inconclusive plot threads from the previous RPG:
"In the nation-state of Mendossus, it's been 5 long years since the king began conscripting the population to fight in the war across the sea against the violent and ruthless Chedian. The Chedians had briefly stopped raiding Mendossus for a short time while the joined together to fight off the invading Beldonian hordes 6 years ago. Because of the conscriptions, the formerly safe nation is rife with violence. The roads are now unsafe to travel because of bandits. Large groups of predators have taken up residence in the forests. Formerly safe temples and forts have been overrun by monsters.
Because of this abuse of conscription by the king, a small resistance had formed in Mendossus. Led by a mysterious outsider, this resistance has become a thorn in the side of the king and his advisor, Archibald. They actively hunt down the members of the resistance. When the player first meets the king, the first mission he gives the party is to infiltrate the resistance and kill its leader.
Once the party infiltrates the resistance, they discover who is in charge of this group of rebels is none other than Nicolai Ironfist, nephew of Archibald and son of the king of the now destroyed Enroth. He tells them a dangerous secret about the conscriptions.
Under the influence of the evil Archibald Ironfist, the king has been lying to the population. There is no war with Chedian, and none of the men conscripted ever go into the army. Archibald has teamed up with a very powerful creature to disrupt one of the most important projects in the history of the universe.
A group of Ancient Scientists, after thousands of years of hibernation have awoke to find that Research Platform Enroth has been disrupted by the destruction of the planet. Banding together, they begin a mission to rebuild the Research Platform and continue its important mission of study. Archibald, along with a creature known as a Sheltem are actively working to not only disrupt the construction of the new Research Platform Enroth, but take it over for their own, nefarious use."
One cannot help but wonder where Tim's plot may have led, had it been fully fleshed out – with the return of the Ironfists, Sheltem, Enroth and the Ancients, many classical elements and plot devices appeared ready to come to the fore once again. Many unexplored subplots and red herrings in Might and Magic IX – the inevitable result of an under-funded and rushed game – may have found resolution and reconciliation had the project been pursued. I still reserve hope that Ubisoft will green-light a new RPG faithful to classic Might and Magic conventions some day.
Currently, Tim acts as an advisor to the Might and Magic X fan project under development by Deyja Vu Studios, an effort which I also contributed to as a story writer before leaving the team; I wish them all the best, and hope they can suitably resolve the legacies of Axeoth, the Ancients and the Kreegans as they stand. Whatever the case, though, at least it's possible to argue that the Ancients have indeed been revealed, somewhat: the three Wyrdes in Arslegard, visible among the Gods at the end of MM9, were in fact the formerly-hibernating scientists planned to feature in the next game.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=779

DaveO

Erudite
Mentioning the 3DO Community applies a language filter on the TELP M&M forums. I took part in the Community and got the max 'level' on the boards before it was shut down. I also assisted in getting the Lord Brinne tribute done in MM8 thru Peter Ryu(IIRC).

Now I have to fight part of the decline on how to top that in terms of gaming contributions. My "History of M&M" is not the greatest contribution to Celestial Heavens.

Luzur

Good Sir
Mentioning the 3DO Community applies a language filter on the TELP M&M forums. I took part in the Community and got the max 'level' on the boards before it was shut down. I also assisted in getting the Lord Brinne tribute done in MM8 thru Peter Ryu(IIRC).

Now I have to fight part of the decline on how to top that in terms of gaming contributions. My "History of M&M" is not the greatest contribution to Celestial Heavens.

yes i remember Lord Brinne from the old forums, i know one of the devs (coope? loop? something like that) added in the memorial in MM8 and how you have to put the flute into the grave to access to that plane between planes NWC headquarters.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The cartographics were set up by Andrew Schultz. The guy made dozens if not hundreds of RPG walkthrus. I'd have to get his permission, and the CRPGAddict could not find traces of him. I don't know if he's still alive or not.

Andrew Schultz actually posted in my Tower of Myraglen LP last December (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...th-multiple-endings.66134/page-3#post-1905749), so I guess he must be still alive. He hasn't logged in into the Codex since then, but the email address associated with his Codex account -- :admin vision on: -- is the same that he has used in some of his recent guides -- and since it's public anyway, it won't do any harm if I post it here. It's schultz [dot] andrew [at] sbcglobal [dot] net -- feel free to use it to contact him.

DaveO

Erudite
Now that I know that his page still exists, I could change the index.html file on my Web page to link to his new site.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay, I feel like a bozo, but I've been exploring the caves under the towns in Might and Magic 2, and the things that are supposed to raise my stats (The singing ogre under Vulcania, specifically) do not. Dos glitch, or is there something I'm missing?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I checked my old notes and they don't have anything about him. Maybe your endurance (?) is too big? Stats were not raised past 40 or 50, I think.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
They also stop increasing your stats around 50 or 60 IIRC. You can get some more raises after this from the fair, but the only way to max out a stat is to trade it for another (which you do in the castles IIRC).

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
Once you have 50 in a stat you don't get that much effect from raising it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The stat increases also don't happen from encounters like the singing monsters in MM2 until your party rests. I had the same thing happen to me.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bizarre that they changed that from Might & Magic 1. The game looks similar and behaves so much like it, I'm almost stymied at any slight difference in interface. On the plus side, it's just jam packed with stuff, everywhere. On the minus side, the interface is much slower to respond, and I often miss some lines of text that get displayed because I pressed a button 3 seconds ago.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OVFmK.png

I really hope you have more interesting ways to kill time during Christmas.

DaveO

Erudite
I did MM3 first and went thru the other games mostly in order(Swords of Xeen being the exception).

7h30n

Augur
This game is pretty good! I started with M&M 3 as per recommendations in the thread I made when I joined the forums.
I'm still in the 1st town (Fountain Head or smth like that) and cleaning the rat filled caverns below it. I ran out of rope so I bought new ones :D I love it how so far every spell or skill seems useful (Light for obviously turning on the light in caverns, Cartography for automap etc.), I always miss that in new RPGs.
Aaaand I forgot to level up, so when I got to Trainer I could get to level 5 in one go :D

Is there any way to disable/evade traps like swinging axes and on treasure chests?

And the graphics are amazing, I always fall for this kind of pixel art style :D

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I really hope you have more interesting ways to kill time during Christmas.
I found what PC version of Black Crypt was never finished. I found it hard way. :lol:

Is there any way to disable/evade traps like swinging axes
Afair, no.
and on treasure chests?
Raise thievery skill (afair, through raising thief's level and dexterity). Do you open chests with your thief active, I hope?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom