Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best indie game ever?

Vote for the best indie game ever in your opinion

• Total voters

Silva

Arcane
Where does From Software falls on the spectrum? They have the moneyz nowadays, but the creative process still seems free of pressure from publishers or executive comitees.

Edit: REVIEW YOUR VOTES, ADDED MORE OPTIONS TO THE POLL!

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
No indie game is ever good, there is always something off about any indie game. The only good games are those done with a real team which are physically together and which have an actual budget and publisher.

The opposite is true these days in my opinion. Triple A games with huge dev teams and publishers make games that seem a little off to me, whether it's because they are too cinematic or because they are too bland and shallow or because they are too limited in content because how are we going to sell some DLC down the road otherwise? Big, established companies reuse old ideas and assets instead of creating new things because it's guaranteed sales. Just look at Ubisoft with Assassin's creed and how much they have stretched that story over the course of time.

Indie games have more original ideas because they aren't forced by the marketing department to create something more streamlined. Almost all indie games actually have a considerable amount of content from day 1, DLC or not. And while the indie category has more garbage in it, most of these games actually feel like games and not watered-down products.

I don't think you get me. I never said that AAA games are good.

I will point out that all the games the Codex is constantly fawning over and considers to be classics are not indie games, they were middle sized games. They were done by real programmers, designers, etc, who worked together in a real studio, who were paid real salaries, and who had publishers supervising them to make sure they didn't go "LOL I will insert meta references and whimsical elements everywhere it will be so funny!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom