Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

PrettyDeadman

For the price they ask for their games ($l.5 in my region) it's more than worth it.
They didn't do much, but they did intergrate the games into major game distributing systems + added resolutions, I would (and did) buy it for a dollar.
Those improvements certainly didn' make the games worse than originals.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You like spending 20 bucks on a patch?

More like $5 at this point, in countless sales, and there is new content (quality being subjective).

Early on it was the "PAY FOR PATHC!?!?!" comments I read most often, but now-a-days when I read Beamdog and Oster hate it's mostly coming from butthurt haters of butthurt SJWs who don't realize it's a butthurt paradox of hypocritical butthurtness. Welcome to the internet of 2018.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I prefer playing the original GoG version because low res graphics appeal to me. It's how it's always been.

Avoiding Minc having sex change and hitting on me Tekehu style is just a piece of mind. (I don't actually know the details of their fuckup and am too disgusted to look)

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
For the price they ask for their games ($l.5 in my region) it's more than worth it.
They didn't do much, but they did intergrate the games into major game distributing systems + added resolutions, I would (and did) buy it for a dollar.
But this is ignorance talking. GOG was already selling the originals and Widescreen mod is both easy to find and easy to install. And I would argue that the "improvements" made it worse, especially the shit filter they added. Having your Thac0 visible in inventory screen is the only advantage I can think of that could not be replicated by mods.

PrettyDeadman

But this is ignorance talking. GOG was already selling the originals and Widescreen mod is both easy to find and easy to install. And I would argue that the "improvements" made it worse, especially the shit filter they added. Having your Thac0 visible in inventory screen is the only advantage I can think of that could not be replicated by mods.

Product which works fine out of the box is superior to a product which requires installing additional third party software to properly function.
NEVER buy proprietary software which REQUIRES free (which means not support, responsibility or obligations from developers) third party software to properly function.

Also shit filter is not a thing.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

NEVER buy proprietary software which REQUIRES free (which means not support, responsibility or obligations from developers) third party software to properly function.
mods don't make it properly function. they make it function better on modern devices.

and as for support, the BG modding community has provided better support for the game than any company ever has.
Also shit filter is not a thing.
there are the ugly outlines and sprite smoothing which are on by default, but can be turned off.

honestly, if yo can get it running easily without the EE, I'd do it. The EE still has bugs and performance issues that I never encountered in the game, though I haven't tried the original on this newer PC.

also, the original doesn't have any of the horribad new characters which are somehow worse than the bland originals.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Everybody has pretty much this covered... I will only add that Trento’s attitude over the whole thing is what irks me the most, saying that the original games were somehow badly coded as hell and still after all this years his masterpiece cashgrabs are getting patches
I tried PT EE and to be honest it does make things a bit easier and the features are more than welcome like zoom and higher res backgrounds but it is a principles thing

Needs to be added: Removing old versions from Steam/GoG so that you can only buy the EEs is a dick move. You can't legally buy 1998 BG online without giving money to 2018 Beamdog, supporting their further rape of other games.

Needs to be added: Removing old versions from Steam/GoG so that you can only buy the EEs is a dick move. You can't legally buy 1998 BG online without giving money to 2018 Beamdog, supporting their further rape of other games.
well, do they own the distribution rights to the originals? because then you'd be giving them money regardless. and if they don't own them, how can they remove them?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
well, do they own the distribution rights to the originals? because then you'd be giving them money regardless. and if they don't own them, how can they remove them?

Yes they have full distro, so even if they offered an old versions only selection it would support Beamdog. Also when the games quickly enter super sales anyway I find that particular complaint kind of odd. The EEs have been cheaper than the originals were on GOG many times now.

The EEs have been cheaper than the originals were on GOG many times now.
The originals were $5 though weren't they...? I'm pretty sure I picked up some GOG copies of them for around $2.50 a piece on sale. The EEs are $5+ even with a 75% sale.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The originals were $5 though weren't they...? I'm pretty sure I picked up some GOG copies of them for around $2.50 a piece on sale. The EEs are $5+ even with a 75% sale.

They were all $10. They might have gone down to $2.50 in a 75% off sale, sure. My point is if you somehow never got them before and want the original versions now then $5 ain't a lot to pay. The "held hostage behind the EEs!!!" argument relies on the idea of paying $20 a piece for them, which would be a retardo thing to do at this point.

The most glaring issue is that their npc(s) are really really bad. And people didn't just say "HEY THEY ARE BAD FUCK YOU" but also proposed reasonable changes they didn't hear because they don't give a fuck.
One of the people I would trust changing the npcs because he detected the glaring issues asked for a coder to help him while he would release the new "dialogues" and "paths" to the npcs , but no one stepped into this.

Another thing is that they made SoD as a bridge between BG1 and BG2, but they categorically refuse\are not interested into adding reference to that content to the next chapter. You may say "ehm, but they wouldn't be able to sell it or need license" (or whatever reason) but if the game was a work of love they could even have made a mod for free with that EE content for BG2.

But anyway, there are still few people that are good people inside Beamdog, it's just that whoever is directing that company understood that with minimum effort you can get a lot of gains.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They were all $10. They might have gone down to $2.50 in a 75% off sale, sure. My point is if you somehow never got them before and want the original versions now then $5 ain't a lot to pay. The "held hostage behind the EEs!!!" argument relies on the idea of paying $20 a piece for them, which would be a retardo thing to do at this point.
I just find it objectionable to have the EEs in my library, whatever the reasons.

Cael

Arcane
I just find it objectionable to have the EEs in my library, whatever the reasons.
I have the originals, and object to paying twice for the same thing.

Aren't you even ok with paying a 75% off sale price for the added convenience of widescreen and a small handful of other quality of life options?
Quality of-? Get fucked, you millenial cuck.

I play REAL RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Early on it was the "PAY FOR PATHC!?!?!" comments I read most often, but now-a-days when I read Beamdog and Oster hate it's mostly coming from butthurt haters of butthurt SJWs

Ultimately, Beamdog's greatest sin was a lack of humility. They were in over their heads in the early days but they acted like arrogant bigshots. A more conciliatory approach could have changed everything. Imagine a Beamdog where Codexers were allowed "inside the tent" from the very beginning, providing feedback on everything from fixes to pricing to additional content. Even inXile was smart enough to start out by trying to be friends with the Codex.

Incantatar

Cipher
Just for BG newbs reading this page I like to come here every year and give a reminder that there are many under the hood fixes to the engine, modders were never able to touch. They got the most knowledgeable modders and hackers into their boat when they worked on the BG series and fixed a lot of broken shit in the game. Granted not really major bugs left in vanilla but a huge amount of small stuff. (When they released the EE they added a fuck lot of bugs too, but they've been fixed now). They also added Linux support which I think is great.

Haters here are mentally not capable to give them credit for the things they actually did good work on.

That being said I'd urge anyone to install this http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1135-disable-enhanced-edition-npcs/ and remove the EE npcs, which are just eye scratchingly horrible. One thing everyone in this thread agrees on.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Haters here are mentally not capable to give them credit for the things they actually did good work on.

There is so much wrong with the EEs that the people screeching about the things they actually got right are really trying too hard.

Incantatar

Cipher

There is so much wrong with the EEs that the people screeching about the things they actually got right are really trying too hard.
The only thing wrong now is the content. And that's removable without much work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom