Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News BattleTech Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    They already got a head start on that when people expressed concern about the pre-nerfed enemies and they basically said that they knew better and to fuck off.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    tbh I don't see HBS as the kind of company that would wade into Twitter and feed the flames. They sound quite humbled in the release Kickstarter update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2169945

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. jungl Learned

jungl
    Parrots:
    tried it completely clueless what im doing failed the tutorial mission right at the end LOL there goes 10-20 minutes. dude hovered his mech next to the mentor black guys mech and killed him. Pretty unforgiving seem like mechs go down really fast in this game. Armor breaks fast and your dead.

Overall not impressed, Graphic wise its really ugly. ps2 games upscaled look better. Gameplay while I didnt know wtf I was doing seems basic.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Bocian Magister

Bocian
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]
    Calling bullshit, these excuses for bugs and half-assed game elements are getting stale. Sadly, ease of releasing patches allows developers to be lazy; practically every game on release is full-priced early access, and people buying right away are paying heavy cash for being betatesters. This is especially bad with kickstarted titles where there's no developer urging the devs to uphold the release dates.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    The game needs to be good by release day, though. Plenty of games are actually good many months prior to release day, such as Factorio, Overload, and Underrail, just to name a few. Stardew Valley was developed by one person, and with virtually zero marketing clout sold a trillion copies and achieved Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam almost on the first day it was released.

They ticked off Steam (62/100 currently) with bugs and crashes, they ticked off GOG (3.5/5) by having DRM-locked promotional content, and they'll end up ticking off people who don't like SJW shoehorning, whose numbers are far greater than the For Her crowd will admit despite certain recent events that prove otherwise. Frankly, I think the gameplay will end up ticking off everyone, especially BattleTech purists. I played the original game with the original manuals and such back in the day, and I already knew I wouldn't be touching this game months ago.

As for whether or not they'll lower themselves and wade into the flames, HBS hasn't had a true stinker on its hands yet. This game is shaping up to potentially be one, so we'll see. Failure is when the recriminations usually begin in earnest.

• Brofist x 10
    • Agree x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    Parrots:
    I've actually done neither of those things.

• Agree x 9
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Don't forget guys that they also misteriously increased the price from 20~ € to 30 something, if that wasn't enough. Not sure whether to refund or wait a year or two for the extra-enchanted edition.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    It is sad to hear this, Harebrained schemes at least managed to hold their SJW nonsense enough on the shadowrun games for them to be enjoyable, guess I will buy at a sale.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. frajaq Learned

frajaq
    Parrots:
    This game feels very badly optimized and buggy, I did the tutorial mission and after that the game was stuck on a vision of a ship in space, with no option on what to do, oh well

You have like 3 options of character background which is fine, although I wonder if it affects anything else in the game as far as dialogue options/quest resolutions goes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  10. Mark Richard Prophet

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    You know the drill. In a month it will reach a playable state. In three it will add features that should've been in the game to start with. In six it will be a vastly superior game to the one at launch. I'm tired of this industry-wide fix it later attitude. I'm a customer, not a games tester.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    All I ever wanted as a BattleTech fan is a turn-based computer simulation of FASA's 3025 to 3055 BattleTech rules, with modernized graphics and either a sandbox style of play or a lengthly campaign. Something like the Crescent Hawk games or MechCommander Gold, but for today's computers, with better AI, and more faithful to the tabletop experience. Why can't I have such a simple thing? :(

• Despair x 11
    • Agree x 4
    • it is a mystery x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Black Arcane

Black
    Parrots:
    You wanted modernized graphics from HBS and improved AI in current year?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    I don't see the issue with the literal and actual tabletop rules. BattleTech is the most satisfying tabletop miniatures game I've ever played, hands down, and I spent many years as a young dweeb trying them all out.

Unlike the space, time, and money investment necessary for Warhammer/40k, you could paint about six minis, fold out a hex map (or part of one) nearly anywhere, give half of the minis to some friend, and have a blast with a pretty crunchy and enjoyable (and immersive-feeling) set of rules.

There's always MegaMek, which unfortunately isn't exactly lush in the graphics department.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'm not talking AAA here. How about serviceable graphics. But yeah, I would like better AI than what was in MechCommander.

^ Top  
  15. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Parrots:
    I like MegaMek, but the AI is pretty bad. I suppose I can break out my old FASA campaign scenarios and just play through them in MegaMek. <shrug>

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Black Arcane

Black
    Parrots:
    MW3 Pirate's Moon AI can jump jet over canyons, I'd like to see modern companies do that :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    Poor optimized trannies lead to poorly optimized game...

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 6
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • Old x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London
    I'm surprised at how much tolerance you guys have for the new Shadowruns. I didn't hate them, but to me Returns and Dragonfall felt like they were only a few steps above shovelware. Why should BattleTech be any different?

Having experienced the combat in Dragonfall, I never once thought to myself, "you know what, HBS is just the studio to make a pure turn based tactical game."

• Agree x 22
    • Disagree x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    The level of prestigiousness and technical and artistic skill required to produce the dream BattleTech game you envision (also that just about everyone else envisions) just doesn't exist anywhere in the correct concentration.

• Despair Despair x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Yeah, this was one of the, uh... quote-unquote subtle hints that tipped me off a while back and erupted into a rolling argument about whether or not full-blown far-left wingdings can produce playable and enjoyable games.

Looking at it again, whoever took that screengrab had an interesting trends marquee: [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Black Arcane

Black
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 13
    • decline x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Vorark Savant

Vorark
    Parrots:
    I found this on GOG forums:

:roll:

Drama aside, hopefully the game sells decently enough. I want my Shadowrun fix.

• WTF am I reading x 8
    • Disagree x 6
    • Funny x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    Why would a studio that just spent 3 back-breaking years laboring to make a game that by no means is guaranteed to sell go and jeopardize it by including politics?

They seriously need a guy in a suit to tell them how to sell a product.

• Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Well, they do have a brown woman in hijab to tell you about her fifteen doctorates—and I mean really, if you even notice the significance of such a thing as the only dialogue preview on the game's sale page, I mean obviously you're a fucking bigot and we don't want your filthy money anyway.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Yes, a brown woman with ninety doctorates showing off her fictional STEM field. Total coincidence that this is the only piece of dialogue in the image marquee, NAZIS. Nothing epitomizes BattleTech more than talking about your academic degrees, I mean fucking duh.

• Funny x 13
    • WTF am I reading x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's been mentioned before, but all three games (especially Dragonfall) were games where players could walk around and talk to characters without wanting to uninstall the game due to boredom. Most NPCs in Dragonfall were somewhat intriguing and some of the NPCs in Hong Kong were a little intriguing (not the companions as much, but some of the ancillary characters and situations).

In most AA and AAA games, every companion, every enemy, and every ancillary character is just boring.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)