Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Trans-omnimechs, yay or nay?

Cool name

Arcane
The SJW stuff w/ tranny dev who actively admits to having an agenda doesn't bode massively well. Battletech has so far been left mostly unsullied by that kind of thing thanks to being mostly dead and forgotten.

Also I don't love that they're apparently reusing several MWO models, since I'm not the biggest fan of MWOs style for the most part.

Hopefully the turn based combat will be done well. If it is, I can forgive a number of failings.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/15/battletechs-campaign-mode-is-a-robot-dark-ages/

Weisman is enthused by the prospect of a Battletech equivalent for Paradox’s legendary feud ’em up, Crusader Kings. “I do think there’s a very interesting game to make there,” he says. “I wrote a version of Battletech for tabletop called The Succession War that was at that kind of global, geopolitical level. That would be a classic Paradox gambit, to do Battletech at that scale.”
I'd play the shit out of House Lords II.

Start date around First Succession War, end date maybe just before Clanscum invasion. Save Amaris stuff and Clan+later stuff for Paradox style inevitable DLC milking, naturally.

The creation of FedCom via strategic marriage is something a CK2 player would do (marry my genius 45 year old leader to the barely-legal daughter of another big kingdom for her useful traits and to unite the realms!), and its disintegration due to treacherous plotting fits too.

circ

Arcane
Judging by Shadowrun I don't think they can capture jack. Linear, boring combat pretentious drivel.
After having played Shadowrun P&P for many years and read whatever novels and short stories I could grab, I can safely say you couldn't be further away from the truth.
They captured it almost perfectly in the games - the writing and style, that is.
You might simply not like Shadowrun.

The characters were too talkative, though, that's true.
But I doubt they will be in Battletech. Afaik, the game is more focused on mechs, so I doubt there will be tons of talking.
Maybe I should have been less terse, but yes, the atmosphere is there, but the writing itself is longwinded and unnecessary, more like a cheap novel than a game. Walls of text of flourished descriptions might work for PnP but this was a game - games can show their intent and plot visually. If one doesn't have the time to do that, then maybe one should rethink this computer game business. For some people this is fine - static objects with text, but I think that's missing the point in 2017 in an RPG, not a text adventure.

But as you say, this is Battletech. All they need to do is clone The Crimson Hawks Inception or whatever it was called and upgrade the combat, and while they're at it, kill their streak of linear gameplay.

Cael

Arcane
The creation of FedCom via strategic marriage is something a CK2 player would do (marry my genius 45 year old leader to the barely-legal daughter of another big kingdom for her useful traits and to unite the realms!), and its disintegration due to treacherous plotting fits too.
Don't get me started on the treachery. Katherine literally got away with everything like some demi-god of trickery and motivated so many people to her side that it took an entire coalition just to stop her, including some of the best mercs in the whole setting. That is ridiculous. She was another Mina (of Dragonlance) but while Mina had the excuse of being a real god and magic, what is Katherine's excuse? She had so many strikes against her (second born, non-combatant, etc.) that no one should have listened to her, let alone followed her.

However, I got this funny feeling that if the game ever advanced to 3067, that tranny SJW dev would absolutely LOVE her as she is a psychotic, deluded, totalitarian, STRONK WYMMYN, with violent thugs as followers and who pretended that she is doing things for the "good of the realm". Your typical SJW, in other words.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But as you say, this is Battletech. All they need to do is clone The Crimson Hawks Inception or whatever it was called and upgrade the combat, and while they're at it, kill their streak of linear gameplay.
This, a modernized CHI would be awesome. Or at least, an engine that could be easily modded into it. I still like Shadowrun "for what it is", even though I would have prefered a Shadowrunner group simulator (aka BattleBrothers: Shadowrun?).

Cael

Arcane
This, a modernized CHI would be awesome. Or at least, an engine that could be easily modded into it. I still like Shadowrun "for what it is", even though I would have prefered a Shadowrunner group simulator (aka BattleBrothers: Shadowrun?).
CHI gets really boring. You can basically complete the game within 15-20 minutes of getting to the Starport. There isn't much RP at all. The one you really want to clone and bring up to date is the second game: Crescent Hawk's Revenge.

It is still the ONLY game to date where the full range, heat and damage rules of the tabletop were used. No Mechwarrior or Mechcommander even comes close.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah it sucks when this happens, they basically picked up a bomb without knowing it. I've seen a bit of this first hand with companies I've worked with now, and trannies are hard to even criticize about their work without it turning into a shitshow. I do really wonder what he could get away with though? The meat of the game is mech-on-mech action and that seems to be where all the work is. As much as I dislike SJWs & obnoxious trannies, the anti-SJW brigade can be obnoxious about even a hint of SJW in anything. Some diversity stuff in the setting can be fine as long as it keeps the 3025 era battletech post-apoc feudalism as the overriding theme (nobles don't give a fuck about the ethnic makeup of their space peasants as long as they pay taxes.)

Don't know how I missed this.

Battletech was the original "everyone is brown" setting, although they inserted a hell of a lot of racism into the Kuritans because of their Japanese outlook. Just take a look at this bookcover from back in the day:

280px-c4qnmt5ymnbw0gz2azzm710gs49omf7.jpg

A black Kuritan samurai wielding a katana. No, seriously. And Minobu Tetsuhara was one hell of a badass. And this was 1989.

Ethnic inclusivity is not a problem. The problem will arise when the inevitable alphabet soup brigade comes knocking.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Remember to curb your enthusiasm.
https://twitter.com/HBS_thratchen

This thing is the design lead on a Battletech game, you know, the franchise about non-stop conflict, wars, battles, with tens of tons of warmachines. This creature doesn't have enough T to touch the faggy jap ninja mechs, let alone Battletech.
Battletech and Mechwarrior lucked out in a way. It died, was forgotten and swept under the rug before "progressives" started destroying anything they could latch their parasitic tentacles to.
Until now.

Oh man. Prepare your battlemech asses:

Laughing to myself about some alt right shitgoblin talking about our game and diversity and I'm like, dude you haven't seen anything yet

F...u...c...k.

Oh well, there is always hoping for a miracle - maybe this particular fucker won't try to put any political agenda into the game.
Hope and not trying to be too edgy are good things, right ?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Remember to curb your enthusiasm.
https://twitter.com/HBS_thratchen

This thing is the design lead on a Battletech game, you know, the franchise about non-stop conflict, wars, battles, with tens of tons of warmachines. This creature doesn't have enough T to touch the faggy jap ninja mechs, let alone Battletech.
Battletech and Mechwarrior lucked out in a way. It died, was forgotten and swept under the rug before "progressives" started destroying anything they could latch their parasitic tentacles to.
Until now.

Oh man. Prepare your battlemech asses:

Laughing to myself about some alt right shitgoblin talking about our game and diversity and I'm like, dude you haven't seen anything yet

F...u...c...k.

Oh well, there is always hoping for a miracle - maybe this particular fucker won't try to put any political agenda into the game.
Hope and not trying to be too edgy are good things, right ?

Of course it will have an agenda... these people can't help themselves but try to shove their ideology down our throats every chance they have.

circ

Arcane
Big deal man. Some pretty notable game programmer guys went trans in the 80's, of course that was back then, now if you're one you have to let everyone know about it and how much it hurts to, I don't know?

All these progressives in these projects haven't really made any major impact though if you think about it. Tranny in Dragon Age Inquisition, game was shit despite that. Mass Effect Andromeda, same thing.

Unicorns don't exist, we're all gonna die.

Cael

Arcane
All these progressives in these projects haven't really made any major impact though if you think about it. Tranny in Dragon Age Inquisition, game was shit despite that. Mass Effect Andromeda, same thing.
Well, the game was shittier because of it, so there was some impact.

The crazy thing was that when DA:O first came out, I don't recall many people batting an eye over the gay/lesbian romance paths. Hell, it was even sold in Malaysia, a muslim country that censors kissing on TV (you have the characters leaning in and then suddenly jumping apart again).

Then, it became trannies and homosexuals everywhere. And if you don't have one in your game, you're a homophobe! A person would be forgiven in thinking that the world was 97% alphabet soup instead of the other way around, given the way the alphabet soupies cry about how the game must reflect the "real world". It is ridiculous.

NEWSFLASH, MORONS! In the real world in 1000AD where fantasy games are usual set at, they EXECUTED alphabet soups! So, come on. Let's be realistic! Call the hangman! And YOU can start a new game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, a game never sucks because of some shitty agenda pushing (except if you're some moron requiring your safe space far from reality).
All games that have some of that suck for totally different reasons, or are good and it doesn't really influence anything.
You have to be a very insecure person if seeing a gay/trans/whatever person ruins your entire experience. Maybe there should be an option to turn it off like the spiders for that one Might and Magic game :lol:

NEWSFLASH, MORONS! In the real world in 1000AD where fantasy games are usual set at, they EXECUTED alphabet soups! So, come on. Let's be realistic! Call the hangman! And YOU can start a new game.
Too bad that most games take place in their completely own world which is merely VERY losely inspired by medieval times.
Thus, everything goes in those games that the authors come up with - as long as they keep their own world consistent.

Of course, if a game was actually set in a historical 1000AD setting and had a lot of openly homosexual people around, that would be bullshit. But that has happened, like... never?

Cael

Arcane
Keep your trendy fad bullcrap out of games. They add nothing to it in the slightest. 97% of the population (as of the last census here) isn't interested and of the other 3%, only the loudest and most insecure give two hoots. This is reflected in real life where homosexuals are DISTANCING themselves from the alphabet soup brigade, most of whom are NOT even alphabet soup to begin with.

Piss off and stop trying to insert your crap into things that don't need it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah, I'm not a snowflake.
I'm not so insecure in my own sexuality that any mention of another kind of sexuality being equal in "value" brings me to a frothing rage, producing the need to shelter myself from any differing view, supporting that shelter with most hilarious delusions.
After all...
only the loudest and most insecure give two hoots
... I'm not the one giving two hoots about a character's sexuality being mentioned or not. If it is relevant to the character, give it some importance, if it isn't, don't.

Can someone who is (judging from Twitter) kinda focused on her own sexuality and social justice war be a good designer and/or writer?

Compare this:
I had a good laugh when reading Lovecraft about a month ago and came to the "description" of a black person. I was thinking "well.. you couldn't write like that today as a neutral narrator".
It is known the guy was a racist and sexist and probably a despicable asshole all around - at least when you'd put him into modern company.
He was pushing agendas, no doubt about it. Nonetheless, his work in total is considered pretty damn good, the racist/sexist parts are generally "overlooked" in favor of the work as a whole.
I don't see how the same couldn't be true for modern people with an agenda.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Nah, I'm not a snowflake.
I'm not so insecure in my own sexuality that any mention of another kind of sexuality being equal in "value" brings me to a frothing rage, producing the need to shelter myself from any differing view, supporting that shelter with most hilarious delusions.
After all...
... I'm not the one giving two hoots about a character's sexuality being mentioned or not. If it is relevant to the character, give it some importance, if it isn't, don't.
Talk about moving goalposts. Why do you care if someone is homosexual or tranny or whatever? How is that germane to the story or the game? Is the game centred on whether a person is homosexual or not? Is he going to get lynched and we have to escape the lynch mob as part of the story? If none of this is true, why mention it at all, other than to pander to some SJW twat? Why MUST it be in a game at all? Just to show inclusivity? Why? Same with race. Why should people care if the game is all Asian or all white or whatever? Why must there be token black people in every game?

You are the one who insist that people put stuff in for no reason. Other than virtue signalling and getting the rush of ordering people around, there is no point to it. You are just a totalitarian wanting to get your way, and I refuse to pander to such people. And I will not support people who pander to such people. There are good reasons why I banned Beamdog. And if HBS wants to go down that path, they will lose this long time Battletech fanatic.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I am really looking forward to the single player game. The managing the merc company really gets me visibly excited. I think from the backer demo the combat is going to be serviceable. It might not be great, but I think it will capture enough of the tabletop to be fun. I really wish they could have added fire and smoke into the mix and maybe some of the non-lethal weapons other than the flamer.

Maybe the 14 DLC they put out will make it better.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
After all...
Talk about moving goalposts. Why do you care if someone is homosexual or tranny or whatever?
... he asked, after quoting me saying how I do *not* care about it. :lol:

Your whole argumentation is based around some made up fantasy of yours that I want people to push agendas in their games (or that anyone wants that). Because you want to believe that I do so, maybe?
Hell, I make an entire post about how I don't (and certainly don't insist :lol:) and you just go ahead and quote it as "proof" of the opposite.
Can't really blame you, though. With a strong enough denial of reality, you can even become president in some countries, seems to be a recipe to success these days...

Man, you are the prime example of a special snowflake living in his very own world, having lost touch with reality a long time ago.
Everyone's just out to get you, aren't they? ;)

Mark Richard

Arcane
I am really looking forward to the single player game. The managing the merc company really gets me visibly excited. I think from the backer demo the combat is going to be serviceable. It might not be great, but I think it will capture enough of the tabletop to be fun. I really wish they could have added fire and smoke into the mix and maybe some of the non-lethal weapons other than the flamer.
If memory serves, the last mech-merc games I played were Front Mission 3 and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries from 2002. Both were excellent. I'm hoping BattleTech can break this 15 year hiatus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom