Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Kickstarter Update #18: Final 48 Hours

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Game of Thrones was probably the most suitable "in the now"

I know, I was just saddened. I dont mind it at all.

Multiplayer could be a nice toe dip in a possible much bigger game in the future, imagine coop battletech campaigns. I still prefer a good single player game, but coop is also nice. Larian was smart in adding it.

Mozg

Arcane
I really hate shit like Battletech/WH40K/etc. for MP because it always comes down to finding the stuff that's been obviously underpointed (whatever the "points" are) and then it's tryhards with obvious optimal shit firepowering "I'M IN IT FOR THE FLAVOR I LOVE MY IMPERIAL GUARDS WHERE I PAINTED ONE GUY PISSING HIMSELF" people.

Maybe there could be a little prebattle draft where the sides pick their units from a random pool so you don't have the regular customization bullshit. At that point the actual game would have to be skillbased enough that you didn't win or lose based on the draft though.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
A draft would be nice. But you could also limit Assault and Heavy Mechs. Or make some weapons dependent on light mechs scouting.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
So this is going to be just like MegaMek with better graphics and a long open ended merc campaign?

Awesome. $50 into the pot.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm hoping the campaign has more missions than the number of runs in Dragonfall and Hong Kong. The latter is stll somewhat fresh in my mind and I remember wishing there was a few more. Hmm...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh if it's like Shadowrun it will have at least 2 other Battletech games in a trilogy of sorts, especially given the support it got. They'd be mad to not go on with this.

Then maybe we can get Crimson Skies...

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I bet some people think they are getting something like megamek the videogame, but its clear they are going XCOM. Which might not be a bad thing, if the game translates the mech combat well, we shall see. I really want a good tactical battletech game.

I kinda hazily remember playing Mechwarrior 2, enjoying running across the enormous map looking around for something to pop up on my HUD and then engage that distant blip with LRM barrages.
Now we have the (new) X-COM simplified mechanics and the superb tactical AI from Shadowrun, with mechs running around at a distance where they might as well be playing tag.
This can only be good.
:greatjob:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With elements such as heat management and customization of mech components, it sounds too complex to be called XCOM with mechs. Maybe X-COM, the old one. Not to mention there's also non-mech units, which makes it an entirely different type of thing.

shadow9d9

Learned
I find absolutely nothing desirable about this kickstarter.

I am also not crazy about rpgcodex and other sites becoming more about copying and pasting kickstarter update spam.

Gruncheon

Savant
On mature reflection, I'm pretty okay about them achieving the PvP stretch goal. I hope it restrains them into a game that focusses more heavily on the strategic side of stuff rather than levelling-up, strictly better stat improvements that you don't really have to worry about in single player games.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
On mature reflection, I'm pretty okay about them achieving the PvP stretch goal. I hope it restrains them into a game that focusses more heavily on the strategic side of stuff rather than levelling-up, strictly better stat improvements that you don't really have to worry about in single player games.

Yes this is waht Iam thinking as well, even if it has a side note multiplayer, they will have to commit more. The AI in Shadowrun haunts me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom