Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I pledged for this game after watching the livestream.
Now I wonder what could go wrong that would make me to retract my pledge.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Love the idea of them adding negotiations and extra bonus objectives into missions. Especially if you got liaison officers with an agenda of their own. Guess we could expect that from the guys who worked on the original Shadowrun pnp. They also really seem to go towards wanting to make this new Battletech game a lot like the original pc Mechwarrior title. Which was an absolutely amazing Mechwarrior game and did the whole mercenary lance thing really well. I'm stoked.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
original pc Mechwarrior title

342-mechwarrior-dos-screenshot-an-enemy-mech.gif

you mean this one?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yup. That one. You took on contracts all over the inner sphere while gathering clues from contacts/bartenders to move the main quest further. Sometimes a contract would be an uneventful garrison duty and other times you'd be fighting for all you had. Plus it was great to be able to advance your merc lance by pilfering the spoils of war. Yes, it's all aged and basic and looks ugly but it is also the basics of what HBS is hinting at in the Kickstarter.

Wizfall

Cipher
I'm replaying mechcommander gold right now and the game is excellent.
I remember i enjoyed it greatly back then and it really did not disappoint.
Well made mission, good maps, great mechs customization, limited but enjoyable pilot character development and something i did not remember seeing in a long time in modern game : secret or hard to find "details" in the game (like the possibility if you are lucky/clever to salvage a Mad Cat in operation 3, f...k balance that's an awesome feeling !).
Only two issues : missions are totally linear (best to be linear and well made with interesting maps though) and above all it's real time unfortunatly.
If the game was TB i believe it would have been one of my favorite ever

The game HBS want to make is exactly like Mechcommander Gold design wise...but with a bit less linearity (some choice about the missions you choose) and TB.
So it would correct the two main issues i have with Gold, could really be awesome ...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Guess we could expect that from the guys who worked on the original Shadowrun pnp.
I think more important in this regard is that the BTech team and HBS is led by the guy who made the original BattleTech board game and worked on several of the old video games.

Yup. That one. You took on contracts all over the inner sphere while gathering clues from contacts/bartenders to move the main quest further. Sometimes a contract would be an uneventful garrison duty and other times you'd be fighting for all you had. Plus it was great to be able to advance your merc lance by pilfering the spoils of war. Yes, it's all aged and basic and looks ugly but it is also the basics of what HBS is hinting at in the Kickstarter.
I'd say it's actually visually better aged than MW2, given how it has those really nice bartender screens and the like, in both original and Japanese versions.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I think more important in this regard is that the BTech team and HBS is led by the guy who made the original BattleTech board game and worked on several of the old video games.

Sure. Absolutely. However, what I meant specifically is the whole 'double agenda from your agent' part. That just shouts Mr. Johnson from Shadowrun.

Darkzone

Arcane
Battletech earned $1,255,693 in its first 3 days.
Here's the picture I like to use to demonstrate the different spreads during a campaign:
We have multiple types of campaign here. We have front-loaded ones like Bard's Tale IV and Yooka-Laylee, campaigns with the more traditional Kickstarter behaviour like Mighty No.9*, and balanced ones like Project Eternity and Bloodstained.

There are also other spreads during campaigns, but they are less probable. But yes your analysis has similar projections that i have.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funding rate has begun to flatten out. Kicktraq projection is available (still inaccurate right now):

exp-cone.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:hmmm:

Still not going to pledge unless they actually pass the PvP mark. And not gonna pledge for more than minimum unless we see some kind of gameplay prototype to gague the complexity of the combat.

I got a bad gut feeling about this, same as I did Pillars of Eternity.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now'd be a good time for Fargo to use that "Kicking it forward" thing of his. Relatively cheap good press and for a good cause.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Nah. If PvP had been a milestone before the single player campaign perhaps. But no pvp means my interest is a big, fat 0% right now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now'd be a good time for Fargo to use that "Kicking it forward" thing of his. Relatively cheap good press and for a good cause.

:hmmm: You guys are talking like this is some kind of indie in distress.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There have been better thing to do that for. Like for Copper Dreams once its KS is ready.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
:hmmm: You guys are talking like this is some kind of indie in distress.

No. That's not it. The game is funded and doing fine. I just haven't seen that thing used all that many times and this as good a place to use it as any as far as I'm concerned, biased or not of me.

There have been better thing to do that for. Like for Copper Dreams once its KS is ready.

Whynotboth.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom