Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Doktor Best

Arcane
Will there be a release on GOG?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Haven't been awaiting as excited for an update for a game as this one. I absolutely adore Battle Brothers as it is and was quite afraid to see something akin to feature creep or them listening to steamtards ruin what they've got going on. The exact opposite seems to be happening as their updates have been hitting all the right notes with me. Keep going strong!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
After reading abiut this game on a lot of comments here in the Codex I decided to check this out and while I am not a big fan of the board game look this is simply charming and I am really looking forward to its release next year, hopefully once it will be available on gog since I dont touch that Steam spyware shit

Archibald

Arcane
I think its reasonable to expect unfinished product to be cheaper than finished one.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wont be first or the last.
Just check the Steam frontpage and count how many EA titles are on sale right now.

Plus these epic lenghts that some titles spend in EA really kill the "new" factor of the game. If its more than a month or two then you blew it.
Like Darkest Dungeon for example, I bet that game will go for 75% off while still in EA.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Nuh uh. Not while in early access.

For the most part, I would completely agree with you (like I bought early access to Star Crawlers. Will that game turn out to be pure AWESOME.... or not? Fuck if I know).

However just even following any of the MANY updates from these guys, this game seems to be shaping up to be a damn fine game. They do a very good job detailing what they are changing and what they are working on for future updates.

Support those games you feel where the developers are doing an excellent job of providing updates and feedback, and purchase early access. Those that don't, wait for a sale.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've supported many potato. Me being cheap plays a little role here.
Just wanted answer for a simple question.
Sale, yes/no?

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Will there be a release on GOG?
Don't know yet, we'll probably contact them once the game is ready.

I think its reasonable to expect unfinished product to be cheaper than finished one.
The finished game will be priced higher, as is common with Early Access titles.

It the game going to be on sale during the Steam xmas sale?
We won't have any significant discounts until some time after the finished game has been released.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dude, they literally said so in the post just before yours. Same as it is right now.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Dude, they literally said so in the post just before yours. Same as it is right now.
Ulmi, they said "The finished game will be priced higher, as is common with Early Access titles." and even my Potato brain can understand that the price will be higher after EA so he is asking how much higher.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Any idea of what final price will be?
Not sure yet, probably like $10 more or so.

Here's this week's progress update with an example contract.

blog_header_coach.jpg

Dev Blog #62: Progress Update – Contracts, Part 2
In last week’s update we talked about what we feel needs to be improved regarding contracts in the game, and introduced new mechanics to do just that. This week we’ll walk through one of the new contracts together to get a better feel for how those may branch out and how you can affect their outcome. Onwards!

Your Reputation
The contract we’re taking a closer look at today is the ‘Raid Caravan’ one. For a long time there have been requests from you guys to be able to raid caravans yourself – and now, you can. It’s not the same as living as bandits, but it’s the shadier side of mercenary business where your employer cares little for the life of a few peasants if it furthers their agenda.

Because we want to also portray the less chivalrous side of mercenary life, and give you options on how to lead your own company, we have a bunch of darker-themed contracts and decisions available. Being hired to slaughter a bunch of peasants, let no one escape alive and burn down their homes, may not appeal to everyone, and that’s ok, but it’s a way to earn some easy crowns because those peasants will hardly put up a fight against hardened mercenaries.

Your inclination towards actions such as these are now measured with a new ‘moral reputation’ scale, which reflects how people know you to act. If you’re particularly bloodthirsty, people may fear you just for your reputation, which may even unlock some additional actions in contracts and events, while being known as kind and merciful may garner you the goodwill and support of the people.

Raid Caravan
Because we’ve covered contract negotiations in last week’s update, we’re jumping straight to the action. Your employer hired you to raid a caravan, kill everyone and burn everything – their motivations for doing so vary throughout the game, the specifics will differ, but the general structure of the contract remains the same. You’re given information on a caravan travelling from one settlement to another and have to intercept it on your own terms. Predict the way it’s going to take, pick a good spot, pick a good time, and attack.

As you close in to attack, several things can happen. You may be spotted, and the caravan leader may seek a parley to offer you a bribe. You’d just have to return to your employer and tell him that you failed to catch up to the caravan. If you accept, he may even offer you a second bribe to name your employer. Failing to destroy the caravan will hurt your reputation either way, but naming your employer is a betrayal – and if your employer were to find out, he might seek revenge, and will certainly not want to trust you with contracts for the foreseeable future. But then, how should he find out? And it’s a lot of crowns you’re offered.

The caravan may have also taken up travellers along the way. One of them could be a swordmaster, a dangerous opponent that now threatens you to leave alone the caravan that so graciously took him along. Is fighting him at the risk of losing good men worth it for what you’re paid?

Closing in on the caravan successfully, you have several options. You may choose to encircle the caravan for different starting positions in battle – helpful when your orders are to leave noone alive. So are wardogs, of course, to catch up with anyone attempting to flee. If it is night time, you may try to close in even further. Note that while these actions allow you to adjust your approach to the situation, they’re not meant as a replacement for a potential deployment phase, preset formations, or similar.

The battle is done, you’re victorious! Time to report to your employer. Again, several things can happen. Maybe this time, while looking for valuables and burning the rest, your men find some delicate papers about your employer that make for an interesting read. Turns out that this was the reason he wanted to have the caravan burned in the first place. You may choose to burn the papers with the rest, or take them along. As you return to your employer, you can blackmail him with the papers for a large sum of crowns, but at the cost of your relations. Or you can just hand them over. Or keep them for a later time.

And did you let anyone escape alive to tell the tale of your attack? If so, then you better hope they didn’t know who you were, or they didn’t make it, because if the trail leads back to your employer, he probably won’t be happy about being incriminated. And neither will whoever owned that caravan appreciate your involvement.

And that’s a day in a mercenary’s life.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The caravan may have also taken up travellers along the way. One of them could be a swordmaster, a dangerous opponent that now threatens you to leave alone the caravan that so graciously took him along. Is fighting him at the risk of losing good men worth it for what you’re paid?

:bounce::bounce::bounce:
I mean, holy fuck. You can actually fight & kill "The Hero". Geez! This is exciting!

Would be cool if you're a good, chivalrous merc band, to have an event where a huge group of peasents give you a surprise back up in a fight you're doing badly in\ have less chance of winning.

This has so much POTENTIAL. Damn!
I still want to see some dungeon battles though! And find out about what you're gonna do with the ancient evil! Whee!

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Your inclination towards actions such as these are now measured with a new ‘moral reputation’ scale, which reflects how people know you to act. If you’re particularly bloodthirsty, people may fear you just for your reputation, which may even unlock some additional actions in contracts and events, while being known as kind and merciful may garner you the goodwill and support of the people.

Is that the only axis where morality is calculated or is there place for pragmatic professionals or different states for reputation?
So what I'm asking is that; please, please, please don't be paragon/renegade system, where you have to go for one extreme to get all of the benefits.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
I trust these guys more than any dev out so it probably goes without saying but yeah agree there should definitely be drawbacks to both being goody two shoes or murderous pillagers so there's still a reason to steer a balance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom