Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
How do you guys usually compose your parties when it comes to ranged bros? I usually just have one bowman and one crossbowman, a sergeant and two pikemen on the backrow, but I feel fights really tip toe between either my crossbowman being almost entirely useless or vice versa when there's a lot of armored opponents. Glancing over some screenshots, I've seen people go all out with 3 bowmen, but even around midgame they seem mostly useless as soon as armored opponents come into play. Sure, you can just switch out their gear before a fight, but that's only really an option if you know exactly what you'll be facing.

I'll take two to four ranged guys who carry polearms as backups. Shoot for Quickhands to get a free weapon swap a turn. You can use your polearms/shield bash to push enemies back so that your ranged guys can get unimpeded shots at them from a couple squares away, increasing their effectiveness. Weapon Mastery makes crossbows pretty beastly against armoured targets. For bowmen, try putting Fearsome and maybe Crippling Strikes on them and use them as debuffers, not finishers.

Andnjord

Arcane
Now that the TL;DR button is gone, here are my thoughts on the beta and the game in general, in random order:
Yeah, it looks like they got a lot out with this update (kudos for the effort guys!) which means there's quite a bit of balancing to do yet. I forget sometimes that this is still an early access title and that we are still glorified paying beta tester.

Reinhardt

Arcane
they seem mostly useless as soon as armored opponents come into play.
I just shoot randomly, scoring headshots with perks and apply overwhelm even if miss. Also archers can oversnipe goblins(sometimes) and i find them pretty much mandatory in new mixed greenskins battles.

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
  • Changed hit chance penalty for ranged attacks against targets with a blocked line of fire to 75%, up from 50%. This way, protecting vulnerable characters with good positioning is rewarded more, and a more viable tactic against range-heavy opponents, such as goblins.
  • Changed Bandit Poachers to no longer have the Bullseye perk.

Chickening out!

Reinhardt

Arcane
And now Blind Doggy is dead too...

He was oldest surviving member of the company, excluding 2 of the founders - Alpha Doggy and Sniper Doggy.

f05k6s.jpg

Cleared that orc camp, got nothing, as always, but at least found prisoner. And not just prisoner, but a sellsword.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I'm getting pretty owned on Veteran but I'm still really impressed with this game so far.

Maybe I need to look up some tutorial videos. :negative:

Getting stomped the first couple of times is normal. I don't know what they're like as tutorials, but there are some combat scenarios included if you just want to practice some battles.

I think the only advice new players need is: get to 12 guys ASAP (day 2 or 3 is feasible; also pick the 12 bros ambition), put helmets and shields on all of them you want to live, keep tightly knit, only engage groups where you have ~2x advantage, avoid swamps and forests for now, focus on human enemies to start with (maybe wiederganger, I think they're easy but others disagree) and know that bandit thugs < bandit poachers < bandit marksmen & raiders < bandit leaders, get friendly with one small town that produces a trade good or two and one city where you can sell shit.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Team mascot died. Hired this cripple 16 days ago. His stats were absolute garbage, but I felt bad about firing him so I just let him chill in the reserve. You can see him in the corner there.

6AACA40E0C19CF194FF9C762D9330DFB14EAFBBA

Sixteen days he mingled, laughed, had fun with the company. And then I took some casualties, a lot of injuries, and I actually needed to press him into action.

First battle ever for Mr. Alfred the Broken and he's standing on the spear wall. He doesn't know how to hold it right. He's got winter sticks for bones and a beaten dog's resolve.

Orc charges right through his spear and decapitates him in one go. Only casualty of the fight. Whole company is now bummed about the loss of Sir Cripple :lol:

5560E561AEC2DDA6B7E4D0819DAA1AC08C8980BF

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Cool, I'll give some of these suggestions a try. My current composition definitely wasn't cutting it, and going up against a bunch of bandit raiders, backed up by a necromancer gave me a seriously hard time.

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
Maybe I need to look up some tutorial videos.
Though I dont remember anymore how I struggled early with the combat, imo the most important thing early is meta knowledge about contracts and enemies. Thus just restart. Game's got OK replayability. And a bunch of unknown mechanics.
I still dont get how I got hit for 51 HP, and Im sure it was 51 since I counted. Game stats dont translate.

edit

I find it strange that no one here names their soldiers 64EB29 etc...

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm getting pretty owned on Veteran but I'm still really impressed with this game so far.

Maybe I need to look up some tutorial videos. :negative:

Getting stomped the first couple of times is normal. I don't know what they're like as tutorials, but there are some combat scenarios included if you just want to practice some battles.

I think the only advice new players need is: get to 12 guys ASAP (day 2 or 3 is feasible; also pick the 12 bros ambition), put helmets and shields on all of them you want to live, keep tightly knit, only engage groups where you have ~2x advantage, avoid swamps and forests for now, focus on human enemies to start with (maybe wiederganger, I think they're easy but others disagree) and know that bandit thugs < bandit poachers < bandit marksmen & raiders < bandit leaders, get friendly with one small town that produces a trade good or two and one city where you can sell shit.

Thanks for the tips, bro.

I'm leaning towards spears + shields and hiding in a group, seems to work OK sometimes (had a direwolf run into my spearwall four times and kill itself, lol) but other times not so great.

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
had a direwolf run into my spearwall four times and kill itself, lol
Thats the the reason to carry 7 spears for a frontline. Works with Nachzehrers as well though sometimes the body gets pushed a tile away and they'll try to feast on it...

Andnjord

Arcane
I'm leaning towards spears + shields and hiding in a group, seems to work OK sometimes (had a direwolf run into my spearwall four times and kill itself, lol) but other times not so great.

Spears are your best bet early on more because of their +20% chance to hit (protip:mouse over the action icons your weapons give you). Ideally I like to give people swords once they get into the 60s attack skills and only once they get to 70+ they get more specialized weapons

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Turns out night time blocks shooting somewhat - oh and spears are no bueno against skeletons. :negative:

yJjyfiR.jpg

I only fight gobbos at night, unless it's only those wolfrider things.

As for skeletons... I see two of them holding shields. Gotta break those wooden walls down first. Although, perhaps your crew was too green to ever win the fight.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, contract to recover the Prophet's Pages (or something like that.) Bad things happened.

I think I'm starting to get the idea of what I should be doing - I just need to actually do it.

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
I think I'm starting to get the idea of what I should be doing - I just need to actually do it.
There was a thing in Alpha before the devs nixed it (cause it was too confusing for larpers) - that is how Surrounded worked.
Now its simple but not obvious, when you are in range to attack and its your turn - dont. Delay the turn and collect as many merc around the enemy as possible and when your delayed turn comes around you get the max CTH possible and on top maybe a waivering/breaking state cause now we have resolve checks on enemy contact. Backstaber perk is almost a musthave on every melee merc and you'll see 95 CTH regularly. Like 3 mercs surround an enemy and the guy with a Billhook has a +30 CTH. Ded.

Andnjord

Arcane
Also I'd like to join the chorus regarding the new effectiveness of ranged troops. I know, confirmation bias and all but it seems like every other thread cropping up on Steam and also on their official forum mentions that. When you fear brigand poachers more than orc Warriors something has definitely gone wrong in the balance.

EDIT: from the Battle Brothers forum, this could explain the mass uptick in ranged damage:

"I’ve done some further testing and can now confirm that if you have one of your brothers standing in front of the intended target of a ranged attack and the shot decides to hit the blocker instead of the intended target then the ranged defense of the brother actually being hit IS COMPLETELY IGNORED.

I tested this by using cheat engine to make a brother that has 1,000 melee defense and 1,000 ranged defense and replaying a fight against an army consisting solely of archers/crossbowmen several times. When standing or fighting by himself, the super brother was not hit a single time despite standing there and allowing the enemies to shoot at him endlessly. I did the fight 5 times, went to round 10 each fight and then retreated and reloaded the save, and he wasn’t hit a single time. I then played the fight 5 times over again, 10 rounds each, with a naked brother standing behind him (to draw their fire since they love shooting at low-defense characters), and he was hit 17 times. None of these shots hit the shield, they all hit the actual brother and he died in all but one of the tests (He was wearing special named armor and helmet as well).

Seems pretty conclusive to me. If your brothers are standing next to each other you’re completely at the mercy of the enemy crossbowmen. Just pray that their AI wigs out and they just run around for the entire fight instead of actually shooting. Not a fan of this situation to be honest. Fighting a caravan with 2 crossbowmen is scarier than fighting orc warriors and warlords. At least the orcs can’t kill one of my brothers before I even start my first turn. The only way to stop this is to get my initiative high enough that I move before the crossbowmen, but that’s not really feasible without the rest of the noble army tearing me to pieces.. especially since the noble armies are allowed to be a lot larger than your company. As it stands, fighting the noble armies is ‘easy’ in that I’ll always win the battle, but it’s dangerous in that there’s a chance one of my brothers will just die in one turn. If a brother doesn’t die, I usually take 0 hp damage, just some minor armor scratches, but if the RNG gods find me unworthy, the crossbows will just insta-snipe a brother and I’m out of luck.

Side note: On the topic of shields, you only get the ‘shield hit’ if the attack would’ve hit your brother without the shield’s extra defense bonus, and it does 1 damage to the shield no matter what weapon is used, as far as I can tell."

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Forest battle. Crossbowman shooting through trees at max distance. At night. Hits the guy in the head. Next turn, reloads, fires, and hits the guy in the chest. Would have been dead without Nine Lives.

Now when I see "Bandit Marksman" I think "the best fucking sniper that ever lived wearing night vision goggles" because they seem to carry aimbot no matter what conditions are set up.

With the pay2win Supporters Edition Fangshire helmet, you have night vision goggles too ;)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
BattleBrothers%202017-02-28%2007-26-39-38.jpg

Yay. Free shit! :lol:

BattleBrothers%202017-02-28%2007-26-56-70.jpg

Free worthless shit. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom