Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Maybe this fiasco will get people to reconsider pre-orders

JRPeexk.gif
Well my personal reason is that I haven't had any issues (myself specifically) with Rocksteady and I'm a Batman fanboy (and it was $36).

But like I said I was terribly lucky so I understand from an objective standpoint.

Now it was Pillars of Eternity that taught me not to pre-order.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Completed the story 100% today. The sidequests have so much filler it's a real chore to play through, and the game suffers a lot from it.

And boy, the ending was bad. The main story had a bad ending, but the 100% ending with the credits and everything is barely an ending. Wow. I was expecting something bad, but not this lackluster.

Will complain some more about this game tomorrow.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Completed the story 100% today. The sidequests have so much filler it's a real chore to play through, and the game suffers a lot from it.
I think some are interesting on... uh... 15% impression. A few require you to pay attention to cop radio or thugs talking, as there are no quest markers for the next one. I like those so far (and they are not annoying like the Azrael and Deadshot find-the-pixel sidequests in AC).

Some are definitely filler like Alpha Protocol's. And then ugh the Batmobile militia ones. Oh and the Riddler ones too (what the fuck, Batmobile platforming for Riddler puzzles????). I'm avoiding those like mudcrabs.

Also I actually stopped using the Batmobile because there's tanks everywhere so you end up fighting them instead of joy-riding the way I mentioned before, in the very beginning of the game. Thankfully gliding is not too bad because you can upgrade the grapple speed boost.

The quality of the combat is below average so far, because the encounters are pretty bland and there are barely any indoor encounters (??? those are the good ones, Rocksteady!). Rocksteady also took away emphasis on using a variety of gadgets and the like during combat, and instead adding mechanics based around throwing gadgets while you're flying in or something. That type of gameplay is admittedly a challenge... But WHY NOT BOTH?

It really seems like they went too much on the "cool" factor of being Batman rather than interesting gameplay itself. Actually, even worse than that... There is a fine "coolness" factor of joyriding in the Batmobile, but then they ruined that gameplay by forcing you into Battle Mode all the time. I'd honestly be fine with having "cool" non-gameplay than tedious gameplay.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Oh, fuck me. I delete the .ini files once in a while to reset to default (because I was experimenting with a setting or something) and I didn't realize it had reset the difficulty to Normal. How long have I been playing on Normal?!! bdfbhsdhlbshbuiasbfasb

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Mangoose, what happened to you, man? You used to be cool. Now you're a blabbering consoletard blathering on about broken D1P's.

AW8

Arcane
That, plus the hilarious loop-de-loop flying bug and other minor hitches really gave me hope rocksteady would triple their QA efforts as a point of pride :)

The gliding bug is present in Arkham Knight too, I guess it's Iron Galaxy's signature bug.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Mangoose, what happened to you, man? You used to be cool. Now you're a blabbering consoletard blathering on about broken D1P's.
Besides being a Batman/DC/comic-book fanboy, I dunno. I guess Arkham series just does (or rather, did) action and stealth sufficiently well, and gliding around is fun.

I mean besides this I've been replaying Space Marine.

I feel like I have absolutely nothing to look forward to except Divinity EE. The last turn-based tactical game I played was Warmachine: Tactics, which was completely shit because even though it copied the table top game rules very well - and those table top game rules are very good... it has the shittiest encounters and AI.

I suppose I'll try out Door Kickers and Breach & Clear. They seem like interesting phase-based tactical combat. But man I get this lazy feeling when playing thinking games, because you have to spend time actually learning and memorizing rules and shit and since I don't have weed I don't have the patience to do it.

No but seriously I feel like I have nothing else to play.

That, plus the hilarious loop-de-loop flying bug and other minor hitches really gave me hope rocksteady would triple their QA efforts as a point of pride :)

The gliding bug is present in Arkham Knight too, I guess it's Iron Galaxy's signature bug.

I'm ridiculously jealous I've never seen these. And I don't even have that great of a system. Gigabyte AM3+ (slightly above cheapo version), AMD FX6300, 650Ti boost, and 8 Gigs RAM (granted the that RAM is some pretty awesome G.Skill Ripjaws).

Maybe that's why I don't get bugs. I am OCD on researching and get reliable parts ;) (Actually I just pray to Nuffle once a day, sometimes twice.)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I mean, dude, CreamyBlood, if I'm not playing this I'm lecturing about pollaxes, warhammers, Talhoffer, German Longsword grappling/binding in the Public Library forum.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Play assassins creed black flag. You'll probably like it and it really is well above all the other asscreed games.
Already did. And it was. Good dialogue, fun sailing. And nice to play a jackass.

I'm thinking of trying Ninja Gaiden 2 though. DMC and Bayonetta were too much of an offensive combo-racking type of game.

Or dear god let me have a Spess Mahreene sequel (or let Space Hulk Deathwing be good).

:( :( :(

Coyote

Arcane
Origins was a buggy mess too and they said that they were releasing DLCs first instead of patches.

Did they ever fix Origins?

I played it earlier this year, and the only bug I ever experienced was caused by Steam and not the game itself. (For about a week after a Steam client patch, games that stored saves in certain places couldn't recognize your save if you were in offline mode and had cloud saving disabled. Had the same problem with two other games before Valve released a hotfix.) But from what Catfish and Mangoose said, it sounds like one of those cases where it can vary from one setup to another.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I wandered into the Steam forums to see if any tweaks and read people saying Origins was better than City.

Never again.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Warner Bros. Interactive will release Batman: Arkham Knight story add-on Batgirl: A Matter of Family on 21st July for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

There's no mention of a PC release - which isn't surprising, since Arkham Knight's PC version has been withdrawn from further sale due to its "significant" technical issues.

The Batgirl pack costs £5.79, or is free to all owners of the Arkham Knight season pass. Season pass holders will also get the DLC a week earlier, on 14th July.

Its story is set prior to Arkham Asylum, and also features Robin for take-downs.

The add-on was developed by Batman Arkham Oranges developer Warner Bros. Montreal, not the Arkham trilogy developer Rocksteady.

But all remaining DLC will come from Rocksteady, Warner Bros. stressed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-03-batman-arkham-knight-batgirl-dlc-dated-priced

Developed by Arkham Origins dev WB Montreal

:lol:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
But all remaining DLC will come from Rocksteady, Warner Bros. stressed

It's like they're ashamed of their Montreal factory.
I really feel bad for Rocksteady.

Just kidding, I hate the fucking Battlemobile sections and the change in gameplay.

I think I'm 20% through and I've been through almost NO hand-crafted indoor encounters where you can Predator or Combat or hybrid as always. Off the top of my head, 2-3 is what I've seen. Instead, most of the encounters are just in a small area in the world, like on a rooftop or something - And while those actually can be quite challenging, they are not at ALL like the previous games' interior encounters where you have options everywhere, patrols, difficulty in keeping silent as long as you can, etc.

The hilarious thing is I can tell they added gameplay mechanics that are actually good yet they are turned into tedium because the encounters suck. Like the Fear-Multi-Take-Down. It's actually quite gameplay-wise useful and not just for cinematic punch. You need to (A) surprise the enemies, so that they aren't already aware of you (that means either doing an alpha attack, or surprising a specific enemy like from a grate or something. (B) You need to build up some Fear meter by pulling off silent takedowns (which is kinda weird). (C) The enemies need to somehow get together so that you CAN maximize how many enemies you takedown. (D) You get to choose who you take down, so you can do stuff like focus on the medics, or focus on the knifers/ninjas... stuff like that.

But most of the time this mechanic is done very uninterestingly out in the open area outside of buildings. Typical example: there are 8-12 thugs in basically one space together. The only real purpose you can use the Multi-Takedown for is to get a better alpha strike. That's it.

I mean City has better outdoor encounters (I replayed before AK so I remember clearly). One just ONE rooftop, you can just have 3 guys patrolling with assault rifles, there's actually room to move with some cover, so you have to time correctly to get to a place to camp and pull off a surprise takedown - even better if it's silent - and even better if it's out of view of the other patrol lines.

But in Knight it's typically just a 20x20 area, no cover, you glide kick in (well, I smoke pellet, drop in and do a fear takedown as an again mindless alpha strike). And that's about it.

There is one thing that is tiding me over, and that's that 2/3 of the Gadget skill tree is locked and you can't see what they are. More like Asylum than City. As an aside, it was pretty damn awesome to have a bunch of quickfire gadgets from the get-go. But if the Gadget tree unlocks well, or I do get more interesting Gadgets, then I'll be much happier with the combat.

As for the Batmobile itself, as I play through the game I switch between liking it and not liking it. I hate the parts where you have to use the Batmobile INSIDE interior encounters - that are mandatory. Yet I've been able to retract some of what I complained above about lack of Batmobil joyriding in the city, because I just found this sidequest we're sent to chase down a certain enemy vehicle and it's fucking fun, because you don't go into Battle Mode, you don't have to beat some time limit, you just have to drive fast and well and keep up with the guy. And by the gods the AI or scripting is pretty damn good sometimes. It's wicked fun, and once in a while I'll even find a shortcut to get closer to the enemy vehicle. I mean the only way you fail is that you yourself fuck up like sliding off into the sewers or running into a wall where I have to Battle Mode re-orient myself which lets the enemy get away. The negative part is there are no gadgets involved. But it is fun just letting you participate in a car chase, and not being a dumb Riddler puzzle.

AW8

Arcane

It would be far easier to consider this a dream... but how can I? For in my hand, I hold the Bat-Radia. And I... I am the Batman. The Batman of Zur-En-Arrh!

gy5aIuD.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Predator segments were what carried the last two (excluding shitty Origins) games. That they're significantly worse means this is a $5 or bust title.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Some patch stuffie was out the other day according to steam (it downloaded ~200 megs).

My framerate with everything toggled on used to be in the 20s. Now it's 60 in the stress test with everything toggled on except fancy smoke. Turning on fancy smoke drops me to 29fps. Good job.

Also, the latest patch made my controller stop working. The game registers it's there and gives controller prompts rather than KB/M prompts. But it doesn't register any inputs. Other games still work just fine, so it's definitely not the controller that's broken.

Good thing I didn't pay for this. Steam family sharing and a mate buying a new graphics card to the rescue.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Some patch stuffie was out the other day according to steam (it downloaded ~200 megs).

My framerate with everything toggled on used to be in the 20s. Now it's 60 in the stress test with everything toggled on except fancy smoke. Turning on fancy smoke drops me to 29fps. Good job.

Also, the latest patch made my controller stop working. The game registers it's there and gives controller prompts rather than KB/M prompts. But it doesn't register any inputs. Other games still work just fine, so it's definitely not the controller that's broken.

Good thing I didn't pay for this. Steam family sharing and a mate buying a new graphics card to the rescue.
I'm so confused because I didn't notice any patch and I didn't notice any increase or decrease to anything.

The only patch I noticed was the first one that fixed the bug with Verifying Files destroying your directory. Was there something new after that?

For me, the main thing I've done is just using one guys' changes to [TextureStreaming] in BMEngine.ini they seem to help. I'll post those in a bit because he just recently changed them (so I'm not sure if his new set is better or worse, in terms of average FPS and in terms of hitching).

I've also been fiddling with the frame rate cap, enabling/disabling FPS smoothing as well as its limits, and also desired frame rate. No solid conclusions yet except that setting MinDesiredFrameRate to a high value can help a lot because I assume that tells the game to turn down settings for you.

Gonna play around a bit more tonight, I'm still not sure what helps or what doesn't help, but as of self-tweaks from last night I was able to play with much better performance along with much better texture settings (because said guy earlier also proposed a set of tweaks to the textures themselves so that many more of them used Anisotropic Filtering.. before they were Linear).

Edit: I've been heavily drinking while playing the last few nights which is why I'm abstaining from any solid suggestions right now.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Haven't bothered with challenge mode and I won't so long as the game refuses to recognize my controller :P

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Haven't bothered with challenge mode and I won't so long as the game refuses to recognize my controller :P
Can you do a Pastebin of your "SteamApps\common\Batman Arkham Knight\BMGame\Config\BmInput.ini"? Lemme see if there are any differences.

For some reason everybody says to set your ini's to read-only but the game never changes mine.

My computer is fucked up for some reason.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Will check later. Odds are 50-50 on whether or not I decide to just drink my brains out tonight :P

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Hm. So I was curious if Rocksteady actually did the ports for the other Arkham games, and found out Arkham City was delayed 2 months for the PC version. Lolz.

I wonder if there's a correlation between bad ports with open world games, especially now that we know that texture streaming is one of the main issues with this port.

Edit: As for performance.. In BMEngine.ini,

[TextureStreaming]
MinTextureResidentMipCount=7
PoolSize=768
MemoryMargin=128
MemoryLoss=0
HysteresisLimit=24
DropMipLevelsLimit=20
StopIncreasingLimit=12
StopStreamingLimit=8
MinEvictSize=1
MinFudgeFactor=1
FudgeFactorIncreaseRateOfChange=0.5
FudgeFactorDecreaseRateOfChange=-0.7
MinRequestedMipsToConsider=10
MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=4
MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=9
UseTextureFileCache=False
LoadMapTimeLimit=0
LightmapStreamingFactor=0.04
ShadowmapStreamingFactor=0.04
MaxLightmapRadius=2000.0
AllowStreamingLightmaps=False
TextureFileCacheBulkDataAlignment=1
UsePriorityStreaming=True
bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True
UseDynamicStreaming=True
bEnableAsyncDefrag=False
bEnableAsyncReallocation=False
MaxDefragRelocations=256
MaxDefragDownShift=128
BoostPlayerTextures=5.0
TemporalAAMemoryReserve=4.0
ReflectionTexturePoolSize=72

from https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=467817222

If you have a budget-ish system like me, also set MinDesiredFrameRate to 120fps (lol). With all this tweaking I can get 30fps or more in any encounter. Gliding and driving are doable as I don't stutter but they're still not that fun as it's like 20fps.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
But yes, Metro. Predator encounters definitely carried the other games.

Most of the encounters in this game are mediocre or worse. Not just Predator ones, but Combat encounters too. There are a couple good combat ones but they are so rare that I'm too lazy to talk about them.

The sad thing is that you actually get more things you can do to mess with enemies. You can sabotage weapon crates, detective mode jammers, etc. Just got a voice "synthesizer" to order grunts to certain locations (such as said sabotaged crates). You can throw gadgets while gliding in, as mentioned before. You can steal or pickup baseball bats, which let you strike directly on shielded enemies and those guys that can't be hit before being stunned. You can use environmental objects sometimes a la Sleeping Dogs. You even get a single juggle lol.

But these mechanics are usually pointless because the encounters are too easy even without them.

It seems like - besides the "cool" and "big" "visceral" bullshit - Rocksteady went for improving variety in gameplay without actually QAing the gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom