Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Machocruz

Arcane
Gameplay/mechanics IS the most important thing, but it is not the only thing that makes one game preferable to another. Being that I find the mechanics in all the Arkham games to be pretty thin, setting, mood, level design, narrative, etc. become factors that determine which one I like more. And this industry mentality that more land mass = better sequel rarely results in better games. And if they do go for size, they need quantity. I'm playing Far Cry 3 right now. The gunplay is kind of weak, stealth is limited, and the size of the jungle setting is only useful up to a point, but there is a a variety of shit to do around every corner, not to mention the animals and NPCs that give life to the setting.

I think AC suffered from console limitations, and they based this city-prison idea on that. I don't think it resulted in an interesting use of Gotham City, which is not Metropolis, but it's not New York in EFNY either.

For the dipsticks who doesn't know the glory of Prometheus:

uPmHR.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Yes, I prefer games with tighter and better designed environments. It's the game's fault for having a blander, flabbier environment.
Yes, all sandbox games are bad games because you prefer small environments.

Gliding, grapnelling, and surprise attacking enemies were in AA. There is nothing that the City provided that Asylum didn't sufficiently provide while being a more atmospheric setting to boot.
Grapnel boost was not in AA, it was added in AC. Huge fucking difference when you can glide across the city without touching the ground or a roof once.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
City still had two "spam batarang/REC and evade"-boss battles, which was just sad to see. One which is the final boss.:negative:
I found that Origins did a good job on the boss battles. Hell, they made a fun Bane fight. Just the poison bitch is half a silly evade fest.

Machocruz

Arcane
It's simply different. In Asylum, it is rare for you to get the drop on enemies in combat (not Predator). In City, you can actually stand on a rooftop spying on enemies, and then glide down onto them, starting freeflow/predator combat at your leisure.

Also I find the combat incredibly fun. To one who find combat mediocre, I see how this point bears little weight.

I spent quite a bit of time grappelling onto buildings and coming down on enemies in AA. Rarity is not a concern of mine.

Obviously people who find the combat really fun are going to welcome any chance to engage. How does that make the city equal to the Asylum in terms of level design or atmosphere? It bears weight because even if I loved the combat, I would still think the city was lazily executed and a boring place to be.

Tell me more of how you glided from Arkham East to Arkham West.
You run everywhere in Asylum. The occasional grapple to save yourself 10 meters of walk doesn't count. In City, you almost only run in interiors.

And on surprise attacks, in Asylum you had opportunities to do that in the story.
In City you have the same amount of opportunities in the story, and an infinite opportunities in the open world. In this case, infinite actually is better (because it doesn't hurt the main story missions). You can just glide down and kick enemy ass if you want to. There is also Predator opportunities in several places on the map - in Asylum, you only got the few instances of snipers, and it's incredibly limited compared to City.

I grappled and glided all the time outside in Asylum. I don't get this obsession with not having to run. Batman runs in the comics sometimes too.

Now, about the surprise attacks in Asylum: I don't remember if enemies respawned. I did quite a few surprise attacks outside of the story, but I dont' remember there being infinite supply. Which is fine, as the game provided enough opportunities to do so. Beating infinite trash enemies is the way of Rockstar and Bethesda, and they aren't any better for it.

Meh, whatever. The best thing with these games are the Predator challenges and being good Batman/superhero games

Fixed

Yes, all sandbox games are bad games because you prefer small environments.

All sandbox open worlds were not addressed. AC's open world is bad because it's a bland open world. Morrowind had a more interesting, and even larger environment. It's about execution, not size. There are very few open worlds as focused and thoughtfully designed as smaller games, because the intent is usually to impress people superficially or go with market trends, not to design a setting that best compliments mechanics or provide interesting space.

And open world =/= sandbox. A sandbox is judged by the sand and toys and the degree to which you can manipulate them and be creative, not the box.. The Metal Gear Solid 2 demo, which took place on a ship, was more of a sandbox than many of the open-world games that get labeled such. AC is no more sandbox than AA.

Grapnel boost was not in AA, it was added in AC. Huge fucking difference when you can glide across the city without touching the ground or a roof once.

Boost, so what? A minor addition to what was already there because they designed a space that would be even more boring to go through otherwise. Why you think not having to ever touch the ground is significant, I'll never guess or understand. It's petty, not huge.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What? There was not a single aspect of gameplay that was not improved from Arkham Asylum. Every single thing got improvements across the board. Complain about the open world all you want but the gameplay only got better.

There's more to gameplay than improved mechanics.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How about they stop jacking off to Fatman-specific villains and just add fucking Prometheus into the mix. That guy was intelligent enough to (nearly) take out the entire justice league by himself and had gadgets more advanced than Fatman. A game centred around trying to defeat him would be way more interesting than anything these hacks could ever churn out.

For the dipsticks who doesn't know the glory of Prometheus:

A few more scans to help explain why my brother here has such a hard-on for Prometheus, the villain created by the Scottish god Grant Morrison:

E9ZhNzu.jpg

4nbRDdW.jpg

65asC7j.jpg

DJ3k0Zr.jpg

ILAnMak.jpg

4lEieyC.jpg

MmXmOgF.jpg

itb8v2Y.jpg

kj0ZZ31.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
MachoCruz said:
Boost, so what? A minor addition to what was already there because they designed a space that would be even more boring to go through otherwise. Why you think not having to ever touch the ground is significant, I'll never guess or understand. It's petty, not huge.
Maybe because one of us likes open world games (SORRY FOR THE PEDANTIC ERROR) and the other one doesn't?

It's not petty, to me. It's immensely entertaining. And entertaining with an okay amount of difficulty, unlike Assassin's Creed where climbing and exploring cities is immensely entertaining, but done shoddily in gameplay mechanics.

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
AW8 So why didn't Batman sneak up on and knock out Prometheus? That is his entire MO, not to mention he saw what happened to Huntress.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I also think Flash could run, find and disarm the bombs, even if the detonator goes off. Before the bombs actually explode. Or is he not as fast (sorry, my comic book knowladge is lacking)?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I also think Flash could run, find and disarm the bombs, even if the detonator goes off. Before the bombs actually explode. Or is he not as fast (sorry, my comic book knowladge is lacking)?
Flash is as fast as whatever the writers want him to be. His speed is a plot device.

Dexter

Arcane
http://pagepanelscreen.com/batman-arkham-knight-screenshots/

New screenshot showing off the recently announced Batman Arkham Knight has given fans of the franchise a glimpse of what Rocksteady has in store for us.

Batman Arkham Knight is taking full advantage of what the Xbox One and PS4 are capable of. The high definition screen shots of the Batmobile, Oracle, Commissioner Gordon are incredibility detailed and really bring the characters to life. Batman Arkham Knight is set to release on October 14 2014 for PC Xbox One and PS4. Rocksteady is going all out this one check out the screenshots below.

Arkham Knight isn’t just the name of the game but also of a new villain. Though rocksteady hasn’t said much about this new foe they had said that “We wanted to introduce someone who could really challenge Batman to go head to head with him in lots of different ways. We’re not talking about those ways just yet but this guy is definitely a formidable for for Batman”- Sefton Hill

They could try making a Superman game next. :D

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
How can they make a Superman game when they cannot even make a Batman game with a populated section of a large city? If you read the description released about AK thus far, all of Gotham has been evacuated leaving it only to cops and robbers. Obviously since their engine cannot handle too many people at once. Something the GTA series has been able to do for a long time. Note that AA and AC and even AO are far superior games to the GTA series, and I am confident driving the bat mobile will be a better experience than the 'driving' in GTA, I would really wish that in AK they had a populated section of the city which the game takes place in. Also, allow Batman to enter many more buildings at random, even if they are empty. Allow Batman to smash his way into a building without needing a load screen.

A true Superman game would require being able to fly anywhere in the world in a blink, enter deep space, etc. Ofcourse that is really not feasible, the only way you could get close to it is if you spend the kind of money and manpower needed in MMOs. *On that note, the DCUO engine would make for a fantastic single player superhero RPG, be it Superman, Flash or Batman.* But even a limited Superman game would require a lot of investment and creativity, not to mention next gen consoles would be quite strained in the effort. Unless if you want an utterly crap Superman game, which was possible even on a PS2.

Rocksteady could make an utterly kickass Spider-man game though. The Free Flow combat system actually mimics Spiderman's and Venom's fighting styles really, really well, as being meta humans they can jump very far, bounce off things, and crawl on walls. Not to mention the web swinging.

AW8

Arcane
AW8 So why didn't Batman sneak up on and knock out Prometheus? That is his entire MO, not to mention he saw what happened to Huntress.
Because.. er... catching arrows with your hands and taunting the villain is cool?

Like tuluse said, Flash's speed varies.

This Flash along with Green Lantern are supposed to be the inexperienced newbies to the team, while Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman are the veteran members. Even more reason to why Flash wouldn't be so quick (heh) to pull a stunt that could blow up the Justice League headquarters and all the civilians inside.

Also, later in the story this little thing happens:

Prometheus reveals that he was bluffing, there were no superspeed-detecting bombs. :D

Dexter

Arcane
Obviously since their engine cannot handle too many people at once. Something the GTA series has been able to do for a long time.

[...]

*On that note, the DCUO engine would make for a fantastic single player superhero RPG, be it Superman, Flash or Batman.*

Rocksteady could make an utterly kickass Spider-man game though. The Free Flow combat system actually mimics Spiderman's and Venom's fighting styles really, really well, as being meta humans they can jump very far, bounce off things, and crawl on walls. Not to mention the web swinging.
All Batman games and DCUO have been made using Unreal Engine 3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3
I presume Batman: Arkham Knight will upgrade to Unreal Engine 4.

RockSteady is owned by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, a division of Warner Bros./Time Warner, which owns Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., which owns DC Comics.

AW8

Arcane
A true Superman game would require being able to fly anywhere in the world in a blink, enter deep space, etc. Ofcourse that is really not feasible, the only way you could get close to it is if you spend the kind of money and manpower needed in MMOs.
Yeah, for a Superman game you have to make small, concentrated levels with no reason for Superman to fly into orbit at superspeed. You also need toned-down power levels, and have the game be like a fightning game.

Basically Justice League Heroes.

Because the only feasible way to portray the scale of Superman's powers would be with text instead of graphics, like a Paradox game.

Even putting him in an Arkham City-like enviroment wouldn't work, because punching an enemy through 3 blocks would cause the AI to go crazy, how does this Doomsday/Metallo/Mongul enemy get back to you? Modern AI cannot handle a room between the player and himself, let alone a city block. And we're not even talking about loading times and the strain on the physics engine due to all the destruction yet.

AW8

Arcane

It's a disgrace to see how they used the beautiful style of Superman The Animated Series for that abomination!! Such a waste!

Edit: Also dammit aweight, you just made me start rereading JLA for the 3rd (4th?) time.
I'm in the middle of reading the entire series for the first time, myself. The first Batman comic book I read was actually the JLA arc "The Rock of Ages" in Swedish, I've searched my parents' houses but I can't seem to find the damn thing. :(

I'm curious to see how the translation is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom