Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We'll see. Hope its not GTA: Batman and that they work on the content quality instead of "collect 100 datapacks" filler bullshit.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't follow this series, what's with all the hate on the Joker? I thought people loved him and Hamill's take on the character.
People hate what's popular. It's always funny to hear them bitch about how the Joker has been in *so* many movies when Two-Face and Catwoman have been in an equal number.

I would like to see other villains get a turn at being the main villain though. One of the best things about Batman is his villains are equally awesome, if you make everyone take a back seat to the Joker, you lose some of that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
New made-up villain = blegh. But the Joker has been done to death and Mark Hamill is 'retired' from voice acting. Is Paul Dini writing for this one, too?

Divinity: Original Sin
We'll see. Hope its not GTA: Batman and that they work on the content quality instead of "collect 100 datapacks" filler bullshit.

Can i hit people on the sidewalk like GTA? That's batman in its core.

I don't follow this series, what's with all the hate on the Joker? I thought people loved him and Hamill's take on the character.

The joker in origins was dubbed by troy baker, from bioshock infinity and the last of us. Hammil had retired after arrkham asylum (from the joker), but opened an exception for arkham city... So origins ditched every voice actors and hired new ones. But the main hate I believe is that when they were advertising arkham city, the joker was not mentioned as the main villain (like JJ abrams saying cumberbach was not khan when in fact he was), and when the joker appeared asa main villain, it had that feeling: again??? The joker then comes back in origins... it's overused and that's why people don't want him anymore. And I wouldn't be surprised if he actually show up, since harley quinn is there.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
New made-up villain = blegh. But the Joker has been done to death and Mark Hamill is 'retired' from voice acting. Is Paul Dini writing for this one, too?
Dini is gone, he's writing for Marvel now.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I can already imagine how this new villain will have so much shitty writing that it will make people feel nostalgia for the Killer Croc. Anyway, it appears that derping around could be fun now. Honestly, I really hope they improve on the level design as the transition between the outside areas and internal area are seamless and spice the gameplay up a bit. I really don't care for just a 5 times longer AC.

Eyeball

Arcane
Not sure why you've all got such a massive batarang up your assholes about the new villain. If written well, he could be damned great and more importantly unpredictable for the Batman. And to be honest, there really aren't any Classic Batman villains who can carry the game as well as the Hamill's Joker did.

Additionally, Asylum's Killer Croc was pretty much the coolest character in the game, derpy bossfight notwithstanding.

"So, let's make a deal, DOC - you let me go and I won't eat you."
"That's a myth, you don't really eat people."
"Oh yeah? You should tell that to the Johnson gang."
"You killed them? They never found the bodies."
"Hmm, did you check the sewers?"
"You put the bodies in the sewers?"
"Eventually. Usually takes about 8 hours. Hee hee hee...."

Shralla

Educated
It's a Rocksteady Batman game. I'll buy it. Doesn't mean I'll ever stop wishing it was a Batman Beyond game, and I guess if this is their last Batman game I won't ever get the Batman Beyond game I want.

:(

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Joker is awesome, and Mark Hamill's Joker is amazing. Make no mistake, he is the best Batman villain.

However, when he's been the main villain in EVERY GODDAMN GAME you can't help but to :rage:

You already had Arkham Asylum which was the ultimate Joker game. There are other Batman villains, there's no need to play safe and use the clown as the main villain over and over again. HURRR YOU CAN'T HAVE BATMAN WITHOUT THE JOKER

It's a Rocksteady Batman game. I'll buy it. Doesn't mean I'll ever stop wishing it was a Batman Beyond game, and I guess if this is their last Batman game I won't ever get the Batman Beyond game I want.

:(
I feel you bro. Maybe WBGM gets to make one in the future, but judging from Origins, it may end up as rehashed schwarbage...

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Not sure why you've all got such a massive batarang up your assholes about the new villain. If written well, he could be damned great and more importantly unpredictable for the Batman. And to be honest, there really aren't any Classic Batman villains who can carry the game as well as the Hamill's Joker did.
Mr. Freeze can carry a whole movie (the animated one)
Hush can carry comic arcs by himself
Two-Face is just a damn good character and a reflection of Batman himself (half monster, half man)
Bane might be the smartest intentional mastermind Batman has faced (Joker does things unintentionally lol). Just no more dumb boss fights.
Talia Al-Ghul could be a replacement for Ra's, also love story shenanigans... maybe that's not a good thing.
Jason Todd :smug:
Falcone and Maroni and the rest of the mob working together (which sadly would only work if it were an actual Detective game)

I'm definitely okay with no more Joker but made-up villain doesn't sound good either.

Edit:

But to be honest, I found Arkham City's story really boring anyway. Just glad Rocksteady will be back for the gameplay and content aspects. And of course Conroy.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Oh wow, just looked at the scans. New villain reminds me of Azrael and Jason Todd. A rival vigilante that's willing to kill is a good villain/rival concept for Batman.

Can't tell if they say the maps will be traffic-friendly for the Batmobile, or that there will also be some traffic in the open world. Would be nice to have a bit more activity, a "normal" night for Batman.

Two-Face looks like Tommy Lee Jones :D

Last edited:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You already had Arkham Asylum which was the ultimate Joker game. There are other Batman villains, there's no need to play safe and use the clown as the main villain over and over again. HURRR YOU CAN'T HAVE BATMAN WITHOUT THE JOKER
Problem is in the past games most of the Batman villains were delegated to minor roles or at worst, comic relief. You can't really use any of the other classic villains anymore for exactly that reason - they've already been sufficiently downsized to no longer be threatening.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Problem is in the past games most of the Batman villains were delegated to minor roles or at worst, comic relief. You can't really use any of the other classic villains anymore for exactly that reason - they've already been sufficiently downsized to no longer be threatening.
Hush only had a cameo in his side quest! And I think Mr. Freeze can always pull something crazy.

AW8

Arcane
This has no impact on Arkham Knight. The main villains in Arkham Knight will probably be Scarecrow, Hush and this "new character" Arkham Knight (we'll see when he takes off that mask). And Penguin, Two-Face and Harley Quinn will play the same big roles they played in Arkham City (Harley standing in for Joker) - well, I'm sure Two-Face won't be such a pushover this time around. With the exception of Two-Face and Harley (and she did stir up big trouble in Harley Quinn's Revenge), I can't see how anyone of these guys could be seen as non-threatening by anyone. They are all credible threats.

The only villain who's got hurt by the Joker-focus is Black Mask in Origins. WBGM have to work hard on that if they want to use him again as a threat. Also, the only unsalvagable comic relief villain is Bane, ruined in his first appearance by Rocksteady (but actually done justice in Origins).

And speaking of Joker, I think he should have been a major villain like Penguin in Arkham City while Hugo Strange (and maybe, maybe Ra's al Ghul) should have been the main villain. And in Origins, Joker shouldn't even have appeared - the main villain should have been Black Mask and his assassins.

tuluse

Arcane
Clayface fell into the Lazarus Pit at the end of City, so he's certain to come back stronger than ever.

I'm also pretty sure Ra's and Talia are going to get Lazarus Pit'd and make a re-appearance, but that's pure conjecture.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Clayface fell into the Lazarus Pit at the end of City, so he's certain to come back stronger than ever.

I'm also pretty sure Ra's and Talia are going to get Lazarus Pit'd and make a re-appearance, but that's pure conjecture.
Clayface is one of my favorite sympathetic villains (okay, Frieze, too). Though I doubt he'll get that treatment.

Oh my god I got it! I bet Arkham Knight is Hush. But I'm okay with Jean-Paul Valley too I guess.

AW8

Arcane

Clayface is one of my favorite sympathetic villains (okay, Frieze, too). Though I doubt he'll get that treatment.
I hope Clayface doesn't return, he didn't really add anything to Arkham City, he just appeared out of nowhere and never left an impression on me. Not to mention that cheap stunt they pulled with him. Let him die in the Lazarus Pit or whatever.

Clayface in Batman: The Animated Series (voiced by Ron Perlman) was sympathetic and awesome, but Clayface in Arkham City was (Arkham-)Bane-level of DURRR. So nothing of value lost if I don't get to see him again.

I wouldn't mind seeing them again, only if in a minor role.

Oh my god I got it! I bet Arkham Knight is Hush. But I'm okay with Jean-Paul Valley too I guess.
Hush makes sense, they gotta put his plot against Batman in there somehow and it's a little crowded already with so many villains. Another candidate is Jason Todd, since the Arkham Knight just screams Red Hood from what we've learned.

Jean-Paul Valley could work too.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
I wonder what bottom of the barrel DLC costumes they'll include this time around.
Remember that insulated, light blue/white Batsuit Batman used against Mr. Freeze in Detective Comics #388, September 2003?

No, we didn't either, but it can be yours for only $3.99..!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom