Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Bard's Tale trashed at GameSpot

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Spazmo, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Bard's Tale (2005); InXile Entertainment

inXile's first game, an action RPG remake of the classic dungeon crawler The Bard's Tale, recently got released on PC, and <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> have their <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thebardstale/review.html>review of it</a> ready. They didn't like it so much and rate it <b>6.7/10</b>, which, on the 6-10 scale major sites use, means it's pretty weak.<blockquote>But, even though The Bard's Tale would like to mock the conventions of wizards, warriors, dungeons, and dragons, it ultimately ends up relying on the things it's supposedly trying to make fun of. Most of the people you meet, places you visit, and enemies you encounter wouldn't be at all out of place in a straitlaced high-fantasy RPG, but here it makes the somewhat halfhearted humor often feel like an afterthought. There are a few genuinely funny moments, though they're usually because of the talented voice-acting cast rather than the writing. There are scores of missed opportunities for puns and silly names, and yet the game manages to find the time for a head-shakingly out-of-place reference to You Got Served.</blockquote>That's a thing that also bugged me in Troika's Bloodlines, which had a couple of George W. Bush jokes that won't be relevant anymore in a few years.

^ Top  
  2. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic. Dumbfuck

DarkUnderlord
    Parrots:
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    Bard's Tale Got Served?

^ Top  
  3. Shagnak Shagadelic

Shagnak
    Parrots:
    Interesting:
    So you can play the oldies on a modern PC without using DOSBox?
    Cool.

Or maybe not, they prolly haven't stood the test of time very well.

^ Top  
  4. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Parrots:
    Thats good to know, I hate when games decide to pipe music out of my ass. I am a firm believer in music coming out of speakers.

^ Top  
  5. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    Parrots:
    You're an idiot. The PC speaker is the one that's right in your case and can only beep. It probably does so once or twice when you boot your machine up, depending on your BIOS.

^ Top  
  6. Deathy Liturgist

Deathy
    Parrots:
    When I build machines, I tend to divert the PC speaker signals to my onboard sound (as modern computers can do, so the sound comes from external speakers. I don't like having a speaker that I can't adjust the volume on, even if it's a pissy small one.

^ Top  
  7. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Parrots:
    I know what a PC speaker is. I was playing computer games when you were sucking on your mothers dick.

^ Top  
  8. hijks Novice

hijks
    Parrots:
    Fallout 2 got some Bill Clinton jokes...

They might not be relevant in time, but they are a testimony of history.

^ Top  
  9. Psilon Erudite

Psilon
    Parrots:
    Not entirely true. There have been several games that pulled digitized sound effects out of the PC speaker. Even Microsoft released a sound driver for it for Windows 3.1, though it was a separate download.

The reason most people just beep it (if that speaker's used at all) is because you pretty much have to do all the standard sound card processing on the main CPU in order to use it. Since no one enjoys DSP, few used the speaker except for the easy stuff.

^ Top  
  10. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Pirates! PC version (back in 1988) had 2-part Bach pieces played with the PC-Speaker. Polyphony! Some good piece of assembler coding.

^ Top  
  11. undead dolphin hacker Liturgist

undead dolphin hacker
    Parrots:
    There were text-to-voice programs back in the day that actually managed to wrangle voice out of the PC speaker.

PS Roqua -- women don't have dicks. That was your dad in your mom's clothes assraping you.

^ Top  
  12. Ap_Jolly Liturgist

Ap_Jolly
    Parrots:
    A number of games had a legible human speech coming from PC speaker. Activision's "Ghostbusters 2", for example, or Access Software games.

But who cares anyway. Nowadays everyone has sound cards built-in the motherboard. IIRC, Dosbox emulates PC speaker through your sound card.

^ Top  
  13. LlamaGod Erudite

LlamaGod
    Parrots:
    if I remember right, Might and Magic 3 did voice though the PC speaker, but it runs slow as shit on my GOLDBOX GAMES PC.

^ Top  
  14. Naked_Lunch Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    Parrots:
    You remember right, M&M 3,4, and 5 all were some of the first games to have voice acting and such like that. On top of that, they're all kick ass games. :)

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)