Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Banished - Medieval SimCity

Turjan

Arcane
By the way, this happens if you recycle a certain lot (click on image for larger version):

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
First proper town I get going and now I get a bug where citizens keep walking to the lower-left corner of the map (I don't have anything even remotely close to it). Then they get hungry and start walking back - if they get some food before they die, they'll just start walking there again. Guess I'll let the game mature for a while.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
are they doing anything at all over there? Try using the cancel removal tool and move it across the entire map to clear anything you might have done by mistake. including maybe a road that you placed in the middle of nowhere or something. And yes the ai at some points do act weird... For example if you have no bridges leading over a river then building the bridge is fine. however if you build a 2nd bridge further away from it then the builder will run over the other bridge to the other side and "hit" the bridge once and then run back.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
16 years in, and my town has completely died out of old age. It seems that if there are more than two people in a house nobody is going to fuck.

Emily

Arcane
The game has non existent end game. I am at 300 population and there is simply nothing to do later on.
I am hoping for fast expansions to this game, they are needed badly

Okay, time to stop playing now. Tornadoes are fucking ridiculous. I had 115 adults, now only 46. Lost also 30 children and students or something like that. Fucker also destroyed half of the village, including two storage places (with 4/5 of food) Market Place, Town Hall and Trading Post. :(
please someone tell me again how many tornadoes there had been in medieval europe.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay, time to stop playing now. Tornadoes are fucking ridiculous. I had 115 adults, now only 46. Lost also 30 children and students or something like that. Fucker also destroyed half of the village, including two storage places (with 4/5 of food) Market Place, Town Hall and Trading Post. :(
please someone tell me again how many tornadoes there had been in medieval europe.
Who cares?

Emily

Arcane
well you can turn them off so the point is moot.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
  • Can't name Save Games. WTF is this, 1993? Hell, in 1993 you COULD name save games.
  • AI seems retarded. I have building projects. Plenty of resources and my buildings aren't fucking building anything. If I "increase priority of area", they immediately start building. Building requires plonking building, then increasing priority so the builders - who seem to be mostly useless lay-abouts - actually start fucking building. Most citizens seem to enjoy wandering around aimlessly from places to other places, stopping mid-way to go back and grab something to eat (which must be why they're all fucking hungry all the time).
  • EVERYONE MUST FEED THE VILLAGE. How many fucking people do you have to devote to feeding the mother-fuckers so they remain fed ffs?
  • My fishermen are dying of starvation. You can't make this shit up.
  • One asshole keeps stealing all the fish. One house has 100 fish and 2 people. Other houses with more people? 0 fish. WTF is this, some kind of extortion racket?
  • What's with being the mayor of Tittyville? How many fucking women does a village need? Like, are they incapable of producing men or is there some secret ritual going on where all the male babies are getting killed?
  • ALT-TAB mother-fucker. ALT-TAB. When you make a game, there are 2 things you do first: 1) You let people NAME their save games. 2) You make ALT-TAB work. THEN you can start coding the rest.

Still, early days, assume there's some "magic" I need to understand.

EDIT: Yeah look, I'm sorry. I can't help these retarded people. When I have a full set of 4 Fisherman, 3 Hunters and 4 Gatherers AND only have 12 mother-fucking people in the total village, I expect they're able to feed themselves. Instead I find one house ONE FUCKING HOUSE with 66 Venison and 88 Fish with ONE SINGLE OCCUPANT while houses with 5+ people are fucking starving. I'm sorry, it's no wonder these retards were "banished" in the first place. They're too dumb to live.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Huh, haven't had any of the AI problems so far. Tittyville complaint though, yeah. I guess it's a little better than Old Dicksburg, but having currently got a population of what amounts to Saggy Titsville, I'm not exactly sure what happened to the Y chromosome of that world.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm experiencing the same kind of shit. People hoarding food while their neighbors are starving. I'm also not sure, but it seems like when people are hungry or cold, they don't do much work, which means my already starving population doesn't gather food because they're starving.

Either that or the AI is just magnificently dumb.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm experiencing the same kind of shit. People hoarding food while their neighbors are starving. I'm also not sure, but it seems like when people are hungry or cold, they don't do much work, which means my already starving population doesn't gather food because they're starving.

Dunno about starving, but when cold, definitely so. They spend time travelling to a place they can get warm, then walk back once they're actually warm, work for a moment, and get back.

Btw, guys with AI hoarding issues, do you have a marketplace up? Because earlier people mentioned same thing, and people dying out right next to a new market due to hunger, so makes me wonder if it's that - since I still haven't built a single market.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Dunno about starving, but when cold, definitely so. They spend time travelling to a place they can get warm, then walk back once they're actually warm, work for a moment, and get back.

Btw, guys with AI hoarding issues, do you have a marketplace up? Because earlier people mentioned same thing, and people dying out right next to a new market due to hunger, so makes me wonder if it's that - since I still haven't built a single market.

Do you have any sources of food mysteriously just laying on the ground and people are starving? Because that's what I get if I dare to build a market and have its sphere of influence touch that of the gatherers'hut. I saw maybe 50 baskets just abandoned while people just starved.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I have that with firewood. Tons of people bitching about the cold, with stacks of firewood lying next to the (not full) storage space.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, I'm declaring the AI broken. This should not be happening.

BanishedBrokenFoodModel.jpg

House #1
Food = 0

House #2
Food = 34 (Venison 20, Roots 14)

House #3
Food = 140 (Venison 140)

House #4
Food = 0

House #5
Food = 103 (Venison 103)

House #6
Food = 192 (Venison 192)

House #7
Food = 36 (Roots et al 22; Venison 14)​

I've got 505 Food in the village, spread through-out 7 houses. Distributed 3 houses with 100+ (1x with almost 200!), 2 with 30+ and 2 starving with 0.

Either these guys are Communists, in which case the food should be kept in a central storage - and citizens gather food from there when they need it. Or they're Capitalists. In which case they're selling food to each other from their front doors. I don't know why each individual house needs its own massive storage. Hell, why bother with central storage seeing as these houses seem capable of hoarding it all?

No house should be hoarding 100+ Food for 3 people. It doesn't make sense. What are they doing, the greedy fuckers are raiding the storehouse the minute food comes in? The max limits they store in-house should be settable somewhere. And if it's hard-coded, it needs to be dropped WAAAY the fuck down (to something like 20). I'm not exactly sure how much food these fuckers eat but having people dying because the food is all holed up in their neighbours house is a joke.

EDIT: Yeah look, I'm sorry. I can't help these retarded people. When I have a full set of 4 Fisherman, 3 Hunters and 4 Gatherers AND only have 12 mother-fucking people in the total village, I expect they're able to feed themselves. Instead I find one house ONE FUCKING HOUSE with 66 Venison and 88 Fish with ONE SINGLE OCCUPANT while houses with 5+ people are fucking starving. I'm sorry, it's no wonder these retards were "banished" in the first place. They're too dumb to live.

Clearly that person is an exiled mafia boss, relaxing inside his house while all the other 11 thugs under his command work their asses off to bring him food.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
are they doing anything at all over there? Try using the cancel removal tool and move it across the entire map to clear anything you might have done by mistake. including maybe a road that you placed in the middle of nowhere or something. And yes the ai at some points do act weird... For example if you have no bridges leading over a river then building the bridge is fine. however if you build a 2nd bridge further away from it then the builder will run over the other bridge to the other side and "hit" the bridge once and then run back.

Nah, I hadn't touched the area at all, hadn't even looked there before they started going there. Most don't even make the trip before they get hungry, but the few that do just stand there ('gathering resources', of all things) before going back to eat. No way I'll play this again before it matures properly.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I'm declaring the AI broken. This should not be happening.

View attachment 3269

House #1
Food = 0

House #2
Food = 34 (Venison 20, Roots 14)

House #3
Food = 140 (Venison 140)

House #4
Food = 0

House #5
Food = 103 (Venison 103)

House #6
Food = 192 (Venison 192)

House #7
Food = 36 (Roots et al 22; Venison 14)​

I've got 505 Food in the village, spread through-out 7 houses. Distributed 3 houses with 100+ (1x with almost 200!), 2 with 30+ and 2 starving with 0.

Either these guys are Communists, in which case the food should be kept in a central storage - and citizens gather food from there when they need it. Or they're Capitalists. In which case they're selling food to each other from their front doors. I don't know why each individual house needs its own massive storage. Hell, why bother with central storage seeing as these houses seem capable of hoarding it all?

No house should be hoarding 100+ Food for 3 people. It doesn't make sense. What are they doing, the greedy fuckers are raiding the storehouse the minute food comes in? The max limits they store in-house should be settable somewhere. And if it's hard-coded, it needs to be dropped WAAAY the fuck down (to something like 20). I'm not exactly sure how much food these fuckers eat but having people dying because the food is all holed up in their neighbours house is a joke.

Oh I get the greedy bastard scenario a lot. What happens is I'll have a place for food, people start starving, and as soon as some food arrives it's always ONE citizen snatching everything up and hauling it back home, Believe me, I followed them visually. Then the rest of my peeps get stuck in the gather/hunger loop where they'll carry a resource for a bit, drop it, walk off, pick it up again, and repeat.

Also, I am butt hurt because I have no way of getting more laborers without serious deficits elsewhere and I can't have the awesome villages I see people posting on the net :P I wants my comfy mountain town :P

Ashery

Prophet
A single person eats roughly 100/year. If your suggestion of maintaining a store of 20 food per house went through, they'd be making trips to storage every time they ate. Yes, the AI is simple, but you're pretty much fucked regardless if your food's as low as yours is.

No idea how your food production is so limited, so I can't really make meaningful suggestions.

To answer your food production question, 13 out of 56 nets me a comfortable surplus at the fifteen year mark. My focus at the time was upgrading to stone houses due to the firewood demand of my wooden houses nearly outstripping my supply, hence the ten stonecutters.

8ObKKyc.png

As for the AI being retarded, it's a simple queue system; they'll go do whatever's the oldest task. With that in mind, don't overdo your queue or you get into exactly the situation you described.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Food generation is very sensitive to its surroundings, overlapping the workspaces (like putting two fishing docks close to each other) immediately cuts into overall production, and gatherer/hunter hut really needs a full, untouched forest to get the optimal output. Early on they're a no-brainer, but once space starts to become more valuable, farming becomes much more appealing because of the lower amount of space required for similar food output.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
I have problems with the whole food thing regarding the forests being free and clear of housing. If I build houses juuuust outside the hut's border, the gatherers take too much time getting back to work. I just need to know wtf to build and when because everything I've tried leads to either mass starvation in a year or two or a prolonged painful death by old age :/

No I am not plopping down churches or anything that advanced. I am playing on Hard without seeds :/

Ashery

Prophet
I have problems with the whole food thing regarding the forests being free and clear of housing. If I build houses juuuust outside the hut's border, the gatherers take too much time getting back to work. I just need to know wtf to build and when because everything I've tried leads to either mass starvation in a year or two or a prolonged painful death by old age :/

There's zero issue with housing at that distance. It might not be quite as productive as someone living right next door, but the house taking up forest space would also result in a loss of productivity, so it's not a completely clear cut argument.

My suggestion for build order:

Find a spot where you plan on building your first forester, lodge, gatherer, and herbalist.

Hunting lodge - One worker (Produces 6-800 food, almost enough to completely maintain your population)
Four houses
Gatherer - Two workers, drop it down to one once you have a surplus
Storage barn
Wood cutter
Forester
Tailor
Blacksmith
School

After that it varies. Normally I go for a second and third lodge (All with one worker) to produce surplus leather (For coats) and venison, both of which make for good non-gamey exports.

Not having seeds is a pretty minor issue as crops are pretty weak on their return on a per worker basis. You transition to them once the area requirements for the higher yielding buildings become too large.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just started to get my teeth in the game, but it has quite a lot unique ideas I haven't seen in too many city building games. Like trading seeds to be able to grow plants, manageing animals, so they breed, managing clothing (with different kinds of clothing). It's a lot like the settlers series, just more detailed. Me like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom