Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Beamdog were kind enough to offer IWD-esque Create Party option, so that's good.
Yeah, that's the best thing I found they added in the EE.

mitochondritom

Educated
I'm really hoping this campaign gets gud again with the Underground River segment. Read the last three of my posts and tell me that's not a borefest. Someone on the Beamdog forums told me it's good, but someone on my blog told me they almost got burned out by it. I'm steeling myself before writing this next post. Wish me luck!

I thought the best areas were the Underground River, the area just before it and then the forest to the east of the underground river. There is quite a good bit at the encampment towards the end though and while totally linear the ending is not that bad.

. Btw M'Khinn is a great companion and Corwin is ok, too. Neera and Glint I have found pretty annoying.

I hated Corwin as she was a normal person in a world of crazy NPCs. She was disgustingly bland and irritating as she tells the player off for making objectively better choices (like screwing over the dwarves to get rewards from the Lich). Neera and Glint are just Grobnar 2.0, I dream of the day when someone makes a Gnome NPC that isn't an awful monkey-cheese joke.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part XI.

An example of banter in Siege. Yes, it's fully voiced.

banter.jpg

:negative:

I'm really hoping this campaign gets gud again with the Underground River segment. Read the last three of my posts and tell me that's not a borefest. Someone on the Beamdog forums told me it's good, but someone on my blog told me they almost got burned out by it. I'm steeling myself before writing this next post. Wish me luck!

Did you kill them on the spot?

Oh man this is really awful, i'm feeling sick now.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Did you kill them on the spot?

Oh man this is really awful, i'm feeling sick now.

What blows my mind is that ppl actually got PAID to write and voice act twaddle like that.

Pls note that the Siege campaign does offer some decent writing: I cite the Dwarves of Dumathoin, an optional quest that would not be out of place in BG2 or IWD2. The hardest part about writing this walkthrough is when (how to say this) there isn't actually all that much to convey of the "content" that is presented... it's like, ok, this is REALLY bare-bones and there is no flesh to give it unless I invent it myself. DoD and the Siege of Bridgefort were two segments that just flowed for me; it's EZ to see in my walkthrough that I enjoyed them and wasn't lost for words in relaying their events. That's because the content is fleshed out, with a degree of depth to it.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
I am also playing it currently, i just beat the Bridgefort Siegebattle. Yes there are some good parts and the Siege was one of it. But where the fuck was their quality control? I would slap a trainee right infront of the entire staff if he brought me dialogue lines like that.

Will read your playthrough later to see your view on the parts.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Next Beamdog DnD game will have emojis and stickers in its conversations for a more modern and emotional approach to game writing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
man reading that SoD dialog written by Beamdog really helps as material for whenever I have to argue in a future thread once again about how dialog, npc and story should be a distant, distant second to system design and not something that defines an RPG.

all i have to do is copy/paste that SoD "banter" and there will simply be no way to justify ever wasting development time and money on that when they could've spent that time making non-Borefest new areas or innovating/polishing existing BG gameplay mechanics.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
man reading that SoD dialog written by Beamdog really helps as material for whenever I have to argue in a future thread once again about how dialog, npc and story should be a distant, distant second to system design and not something that defines an RPG.

all i have to do is copy/paste that SoD "banter" and there will simply be no way to justify ever wasting development time and money on that when they could've spent that time making non-Borefest new areas or innovating/polishing existing BG gameplay mechanics.
All one has to do in counter is paste PS:T dialogue.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Its like showing around a picture of Jocelyn Wildenstein and telling everyone this is why nongay sex is bad and women need to be extinguished.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What blows my mind is that ppl actually got PAID to write and voice act twaddle like that.

But I thought the writing was brilliant or what was that adjective that's thrown around for everything these days?

For some reason, a lot of authors are in love with that characters-who-speak-like-Buffy shtick.

I suppose it makes them believe this gives them character. When everybody is a writer this is the shit that you get. It's the equivalent of Instagram or Photoshop filters. Everyone is also an artist.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If they hadn't been paid, you'd have gotten "amazeballs" tier writing, but paying them upgraded it to "aMAZing" writing.

Lhynn

Arcane
Man, im glad i skipped this gaim, im not mentally prepared to tackle that shit.
Also i fucking hate his tone, like he knows exactly whats going to happen in the future, like he read the fucking script.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Man, im glad i skipped this gaim, im not mentally prepared to tackle that shit.
Also i fucking hate his tone, like he knows exactly whats going to happen in the future, like he read the fucking script.

Yep, he's a bit of a windbag.

Secret: I don't read the dialogue in this game all that thoroughly. Can you imagine - 500,000 words of schlock? Instead, I scan/speedread just to get the general jist of things. Plus the journal pop-ups condense lots of the text into a single sentence of five or six words. The journal is banal, though. I much prefer the tone and flavor of the original BG journal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom