Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

MetalCraze

Arcane
- no stats
- skills unlock linearly as you go - no skill tree, each new one is better
- health regen is ridiculous, no need for potions, picking up a health vial heals all party - thus the game is too easy
- levels are linear, they open as you go through a linear quest-line
- 4 players in a party MAX
- only 5 classes
- you can ID your own items
- you can teleport to other players right away, no more pissing your pants running through enemy territory to your bros

CDS completed the beta in 2 and a half hours. And Blizzard seriously gave 3 days for this? Why?

Solution: wait for Torchlight 2 which is being made by Diablo 2 devs. It will also have LAN.
In contrast to D3 where even in SP you must connect to Bobby Kotick's very own server.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Yay on moving this to GRPG.

But yeh, Skyway's right, enemies are laughable, easy as fuck and it doesn't help that your skills are OP. Also, the boss was a damned hp sponge, you'd have to be disabled to die to him but he was tedious as hell to beat.

bonescraper

Old news, Captain Obvious. It's still a "10/10 GOTY", and will sell way better than any PC game released this year, regardless. I already saw fucking Blizzdrones saying that stat allocation and skill trees didn't work anyway. Just browse the battle.net forums.

Bruticis

Old news, Captain Obvious. It's still a "10/10 GOTY", and will sell way better than any PC game released this year, regardless. I already saw fucking Blizzdrones saying that stat allocation and skill trees didn't work anyway. Just browse the battle.net forums.
You don't have to go that far to find the same thing, just look at the other thread of prestigious Kodexers. The no stats/skills thing is just fine because everyone did the same templates anyway, clearly giving us the choice is a bad thing.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, I never understood that line of reasoning. And yes, the game is rather disappointing. That's not exactly unexpected though, Blizzard of today isn't exactly the Blizzard of D1/D2/SC.

That said, skill trees aren't completely linear in a which-is-better way. The 'rune' stuff does change them a fair bit, and some of them are just completely different in effect from the previous one.
Yay on moving this to GRPG.

But yeh, Skyway's right, enemies are laughable, easy as fuck and it doesn't help that your skills are OP. Also, the boss was a damned hp sponge, you'd have to be disabled to die to him but he was tedious as hell to beat.
Try the Monk. Get a 11-12dps weapon, two damage rings and the electrical teleporting punch attack. Carnage without any chance of dying, even the last boss is down in a couple of blinks.

joeydohn

Savant
- no stats

Press C

- skills unlock linearly as you go - no skill tree, each new one is better

Skills work differently and have their use depending on your playstyle, I doubt the numbers are skewed so abilities learnt later obsolete those gained earlier.

- health regen is ridiculous, no need for potions, picking up a health vial heals all party - thus the game is too easy

Normal mode.

- levels are linear, they open as you go through a linear quest-line

Same as Diablo 2.

- 4 players in a party MAX

It's not like we have three friends to play with anyway.

- only 5 classes

Same as vanilla Diablo 2.

- you can ID your own items

THE ``DECLINE". Hah.

thesoup

Arcane
It's just Skyway being Skyway, guys. I'm sure the game will be just great; even better than its predecessor.:codexisfor:

Really, though, I thought I might install it so I can fight the good fight with my words, but I won't bother to. I promised myself I would stop playing shit games.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Seriously of all the decline and you had to pick self-ID?
What the shit is this? I already said my piece before, ID-ing an unknown item is a waste of item and should've been removed from the game.
We had this in WoW where you pick up an item and immediately know the stats. Blizzard is obviously taking half a step forward on this matter by allowing self ID. It's still a pointless process, though.

joeydohn

Savant
It's not as good as I remember Diablo 2 though nor is Diablo 2. It's a fairly mindless hack-n-slash on normal like you'd expect it to be, pretty fun too.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
One thing I do think they nailed is the "feel" of everything. Bashing monsters, especially as the Barbarian is just a lot of fun in a very basic kind of way. The original two Diablos also nailed this, although they also had more weight and grit due to different audio and visuals behind them.

However, the actual back-end mechanics leave a lot to be desired - so much of Diablo is planning character builds and that seems completely gone in Diablo 3. Without consequences in character creation, there really aren't any choices, which are what make all RPGs interesting to begin with.

I do like some improvements (followers seem better, terrain destruction/traps/etc. are cool), but the streamlining of basically all character development into the loot system seems to me like one big scheme to promote the auction house and virtual item market more than anything built for good gameplay.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I do like some improvements (followers seem better, terrain destruction/traps/etc. are cool), but the streamlining of basically all character development into the loot system seems to me like one big scheme to promote the auction house and virtual item market more than anything built for good gameplay.

Yeah, that seems to be the reason behind it. I was thinking the same thing today while playing it.

joeydohn

Savant

Most likely he meant no stat allocation. But hey, it's Skyway so let's herpa derp trying to prove him wrong because that's the cool thing to do.

It's hard to know what people are thinking. This whole decline meme annoys me because it just means whatever the user wants it to mean, Dragon Age has stat allocation, skills and multiple skill lines.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah they need to remove it completely. I mistyped time as 'item'
I never get why dungeon crawlers have this 'Item ID' mechanic. It's even baffling why I can't equip it just because I don't know what it does. Get that shit out of the game IMO.

joeydohn

Savant
I think they must have removed self ID or it's automatic, the first magic item I received was unidentified but it changed when I next looked and no other items have been unidentified.

Renegen

Arcane
It's just streamlining. MMOs LOVE to have a billion crafting components so that you can grind while you grind, so that the auction house or whatever is more active and so they sell you inventory slots.

thesoup

Arcane
In this thread, we learn Skyway can't into the C key.
afaik, you can't allocate your stat points; it goes automatically as if you were play WoW or Final Fantasy, therefor you effectively have no stats.

Terpsichore

Arcane
I knew i shouldn't have bothered at all, my experience was extremely dull, boring as well as annoying due to all the ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED and quest messages spam.

Shit like Torchlight was more entertaining.

Stabwound

Arcane
There are technically "stats" but since the player can't modify them whatsoever, they might as well not even be there. What's the point?

I don't agree that removing item id is decline. That's just an extremely tedious game aspect that really has no place in a game like Diablo. In D&D or roguelikes, sure. A game where 90% of it is getting items, no. It's just a convenience feature.

I disagree about not needing potions. In my normal difficulty playthrough of the beta, I certainly needed them.

The rest of the points are mostly the same as D2 pre-expansion, so I don't understand the problem there. Not exactly "decline".

I don't really like the complete lack of skill trees, though. There is something about pre-planning a build and then working it out that was kind of part of the replayability for a lot of people. Removing that means there is no reason at all to have more than 1 character of the same class.

It's definitely Diablo with ++herpderp for the console crowd. OH well.

From the D3 thread mistakenly in RPG discussion:

Forget the stats and customization. Diablo 3 is a shit action game, don't even bother talking about the RPG parts.

bitches dont know about harder difficulties

If you need to beat the game to play a harder difficulty it isn't a harder difficulty. It's the same fucking game a 2nd time over with bigger numbers vs other bigger numbers.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Derpablo 3?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom