Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Arx Libertatis v1.0, Arx Fatalis Port, Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Arx Fatalis; Arx Libertatis

Arx Libertatis, a port of Arx Fatalis to a new cross-platform engine, has been officially released as version 1.0:

Arx Libertatis 1.0 "Bloody Gobblers!" released (2012-04-19)

After over a year of work we are proud to announce the first release of Arx Libertatis. While some minor graphical glitches remain, the game is fully playable on both Windows and Linux as well as other platforms. There are packages available for Windows and Linux. On other systems you may still be able to run the game by compiling the source code yourself.

Besides porting the game to SDL, OpenGL, OpenAL and the amd64 architecture while maintaining native Direct X backends, we fixed some performance issues with newer operating systems, added more configuration options and improved the interface scaling for widescreen resolutions. See the wiki for the full changelog.

But that does not mean that the work on Arx Libertatis is done. There is still much code to clean and features to add. Contributions, small or large, are welcome: Feel free to fork the project on github or join us in #arxfatalis on the Freenode IRC network.

The Arx Libertatis source code is based on the publicly released Arx Fatalis sources and available under the GPL 3+ license. This does however not include the game data, so you need to obtain a copy of the original Arx Fatalis or its demo to play Arx Libertatis.​

Thanks SCO!

UPDATE. SCO sends further word:

Don't forget to mention you need the patch as usual, and that if trying to play in linux, to rename the files to lower case (any linux user that can't figure out how, doesn't deserve to be using linux haha).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I grabbed a copy for $2.50 during the last major Steam sale and was able to play through without any noticeable bugs. I might have had one or two crashes but nothing frustrating. I think the last official patch (fairly recently) they released squelched a lot of the issues. Still, it'll be interesting to see the improvements.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The one that's not very visible (undocumented) but very useful:
double clicking on the backpack icon that appears while you have the inventory open sorts your inventory (the same material get stacked).
It's a boon for alchemy.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I looked at the Wiki and am a little confused by what this is all about.

What was the point? Arx Fatalis ran perfectly fine, and was a great game. It doesn't appear that they made game play changes.

So what exactly is this?

Maybe I am tired, and it will make sense to me in the morning.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I looked at the Wiki and am a little confused by what this is all about.

What was the point? Arx Fatalis ran perfectly fine, and was a great game. It doesn't appear that they made game play changes.

So what exactly is this?

Maybe I am tired, and it will make sense to me in the morning.

See their mission statement:
Arx Libertatis wiki said:
First release: "Bloody gobblers!"
  • Core upgrades for compatibility with modern systems
  • Direct support for Linux and Windows
Anticipated Milestones

The following are anticipated features but not yet fixed or fully decided upon.
Milestone 1: "?"
  • Hardware transform and lighting
  • Modern shader support
  • Debugging tools (profiling hooks for cpu & memory usage, debug hud, in game console, launch script)
  • Game editor with a modern implementation (using Qt)
  • Support for more CPU architectures.
Milestone 2: "?"
  • General portability (potentially tablets and mobile devices)
  • Improved graphic, audio and control support and configuration
  • Texture processing (alpha smoothing, re-synthesis, interpolation)
  • Modern user interface
Milestone 3: "?"
  • Hardware physics support, modern physics library
  • Previously missing features and assets
  • Audio processing effects such as reverb
  • Improved formats support (3d models, textures, audio, etc)
Milestone 4: "?"
  • Support for community resources (3d models, textures, audio, scripts)
  • Support for mods to currently static core features (spells, characters, physics, graphical effects)
  • Support for completely new "story mods" with custom features, scripts and resources

If you are on linux, and don't know how to do the renaming see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/152514/how-to-rename-all-folders-and-files-to-lowercase-on-linux.

SCO, don't be a dick. My sisters use linux, though they have no idea how it works, don't know how to mass-rename and don't know how to use bash or any other CLI. It doesn't make them "unworthy" of using linux. Instead of playing smartass it's better to show people that linux has good community.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only people that use Linux are people that like to tell other people they use Linux.

Darkforge

Augur
Mount and blade definitely. Still amazes me Molestda haven't stolen the combat design for the elder scroll's.

Gord

Arcane
Metro: Why would non-linux users want to tell other people they use linux?

Anyway, that's pretty cool.
I was hoping for some project after the Source was released. Their goals sound somewhat ambitious, so let's hope the project doesn't die/enter vaporware state before they release a couple more versions. An editor would definitely be great.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Metro: Why would non-linux users want to tell other people they use linux?

Anyway, that's pretty cool.
I was hoping for some project after the Source was released. Their goals sound somewhat ambitious, so let's hope the project doesn't die/enter vaporware state before they release a couple more versions. An editor would definitely be great.

I guess my sentence structure was a bit too colloquial, let's try: The only people that use Linux are those that like to tell other people they use Linux.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I guess my sentence structure was a bit too colloquial, let's try: The only people that use Linux are those that like to tell other people they use Linux.

What about people who are too cheap to spend hundreds of dollars on an operation system but aren't quite savvy enough to pirate one in an era of internet verification?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

What about people who are too cheap to spend hundreds of dollars on an operation system but aren't quite savvy enough to pirate one in an era of internet verification?

Those people need this link: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/7126-The-Official-Windows-7-Repository

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
SCO, don't be a dick. My sisters use linux, though they have no idea how it works, don't know how to mass-rename and don't know how to use bash or any other CLI. It doesn't make them "unworthy" of using linux. Instead of playing smartass it's better to show people that linux has good community.
But there isn't a good community...
cd on a console TO THE GAME DIRECTORY OR YOU'LL BE SORRY and use this:
find . -depth -exec rename 's/(.*)\/([^\/]*)/$1\/\L$2/' {} \;

bhlaab

Erudite
Does this port break anything?

Actually it doesn't run perfectly fine anymore. Something about the way they used fonts makes some menus slow to a crawl.

Micmu

Magister
Any real man should speak regexp before mother tongue.

About Arx... Yeah, nice, but, ... will anyone do an entirely new game/dungeon with this engine and tools provided? Something triple the size of Arx. That would be very nice :)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
bhlaab the only thing i noticed that was different (ie: not a original bug or script bug) was that in the order of eternium the snakewomen had peculiar pathfinding in the throne room
the original game bug of getting stuck in the middle of the elevator in the the first level remains, but you can avoid that by jumping up when it's moving up at the right time... or just not using the elevator and go up the spider caves. edit: i played until that now, and had no problem - maybe random, maybe fixed.
The font thing is fixed by ripping out GDI and replacing it with freetype (it also made the game unplayable in linux).

I linked the bug list in my last message.
edit: of the other thread.
https://bugs.arx-libertatis.org/arx/issues/open

Looks like there are still some crash bugs (mainly in linux from the looks of things - the crash reporter just entered some on the bug list)

xemous

Arcane
"SHUTUP HU-MAN!" lol
goblins have brilliant voice acting in this game,

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom