Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are Action RPGs Dull?

Meatpies

Novice
I first cut my teeth on RPGs with games like Diablo;
A game which filled me with imagination and an incurable addiction to descend to the next level of the catacombs.
However, now being a bit older and having played many more ARPGs I become more and more jaded of the genre.
Incessant clicking, is this what the genre boils down to? the click and loot formula?
Rarely is there skill or tactics involved. Unless chugging potions is some kind of skill.
Is there more to this genre than it's repeated simplicity?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I first cut my teeth on RPGs with games like Diablo;
A game which filled me with imagination and an incurable addiction to descend to the next level of the catacombs.
However, now being a bit older and having played many more ARPGs I become more and more jaded of the genre.
Incessant clicking, is this what the genre boils down to? the click and loot formula?
Rarely is there skill or tactics involved. Unless chugging potions is some kind of skill.
Is there more to this genre than it's repeated simplicity?

Genre declined like everything else. It's not just aRPGs.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Give Dragon's Dogma a try.

Combat requires good understanding of your abilities as well as the monsters'. You will get curb-stomped without that (at least until you out-level everything and start one-shotting stuff).

And the game has a fantastic sense of exploration which is missing from games like Kingdoms of Amalur.

Lancehead

Liturgist
aRPGs are better in first or third person perspective. Gothic's and Morrowind's of the world.

Xavier0889

Learned
If the story and the setting are good, then I can forgive the boring overpowered clickfest of combat tactics these games often have. That's why I like Gothic, I love to smoke weed in the hippie camp maaaaan

Meatpies

Novice
Give Dragon's Dogma a try.

Combat requires good understanding of your abilities as well as the monsters'. You will get curb-stomped without that (at least until you out-level everything and start one-shotting stuff).

And the game has a fantastic sense of exploration which is missing from games like Kingdoms of Amalur.

Dragon's Dogma is damn good. I've put it on hold for awhile due to a rumor of an incoming PC port.

Diablo is what I would call a H&S, not really an aRPG. aRPG would be stuff along the lines of Mass Effect/Gothic/The Witcher.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you consider Dark Souls an action RPG then no, they're not dull, don't require potion chugging and are indeed extremely worth playing.
H&S games like Diablo, though, are really more something to do when you're young or to coop with a few friends and some beer. If you're looking for depth, look elsewhere. Though the Codex likes Paths of the Exile, so you could give that a go.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
If I ever feel the need for VISCERAL KOMBAT with FAST NO-BRAINS LEVELING and THINK-ON-YOUR-FEET TACTICS... I'll play dota2.
But for singleplayer ARPGs... The last ARPG I really enjoyed was Risen. There were a couple of evening where I enjoyed Diablo 3 too but I was drunk then.

Machocruz

Arcane
Dragon Slayer is said to be the first ARPG. Being a Japanese invention, it was merely an arcade game with stats and inventory. Japan were/are better at arcade melee action, and a controller plays to those strengths more than pointing and clicking. Mouse and keyboard are superior in many ways, but not that kind of action. Diablo and the like are doing it wrong. The input method is not satisfying for evasion, jumping, or all around quick, twitch movement imo. Games like Ys: Oath in Felghana, Dark Souls, or Secret of Mana absolutely smoke Diablo in this regard. On the other hand, Blade of Darkness, which is not a rpg, smokes Diablo and most other melee games, although not as twitchy as your Jap action games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I find Diablo style games very, very boring. I don't care about loot, so they offer very little.

That said action RPGs like Gothic are great, if we simply mean reflex-based combat.

Statik

Educated
I find Diablo style games very, very boring. I don't care about loot, so they offer very little.

That said action RPGs like Gothic are great, if we simply mean reflex-based combat.
Same here. Sure, Diablo was entertaining when I was 8 years old, but now I can't force myself to give even the tiniest imaginable fraction of a fuck about the H&S formula of killing monsters to get loot to kill more powerful monsters to get better loot, making the whole genre the definition of banalshitboring for me.

Captain Shrek

NO they aren't. They are just a separate genre. Gothic, Dark Messiah, Deus Ex and SS2 offer exciting gameplay.

Statik

Educated
Gothic, Dark Messiah, Deus Ex and SS2 offer exciting gameplay.
They do, but the guy was talking about Diablo & clones, which brings us to the fact that a more appropriate title for the thread would be "Are H&S games dull?".

spectre

Arcane
Try some roguelikes, they are by no means dull and require lots of thought and strategy.

Bad Diablo clones, yes they are dull.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, first Diablo was the best h'n's and then that genre instantly went to shit so I know where OP is coming from. As for other such games worth playing?

I remember Hexplore being fun, but this might be just my nostalgia speaking.
Dungeon Siege 2 was fun for a while because it had quite a few things that most other h'n's games don't.
Titan Quest had a pretty cool class system for such game complete with subclassing allowing for many interesting combos, the gameplay unfortunately was a standard borefest.

None of the above games are must plays though.

Gord

Arcane
Are Action RPGs Dull?

Taste depends on a mood. There is no ideal game, that stays entertaining for ever. If you played lots of ARPGs, it is only natural you feel tired of the genre. Why limit yourself to an exclusive type of a game, if you can have both? There is a time for classic point n' click adventure game and there is a time for ARPG H&S.

Ebonsword

Arcane
If we're talking about hack'n'slash games specificlly, instad of ARPGs in general, then the two Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games are actually surprisingly fun--but only if you're playing co-op. Single player just gets tedious.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance, though, I found to be pretty fun even single-player. It probably helps to be a bit of a Marvel fan, however.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom