Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie Archmage Rises, the play-how-you-want mage simulator

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by BobtheTree, Jul 12, 2016.

1. BobtheTreegender: ⚧ Savant

BobtheTree
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Didn't see anything posted about this. Looks pretty neat. Focusing more on C&C and less on production values. Cites Sid Meyer's Pirates as a primary inspiration, which is interesting for an RPG. Also says is focusing more on getting towards the table-top gaming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steam Greenlight
    Official Website

• Brofist Brofist x 20
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bubblesgender: ⚧ I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    The fact that they're using the same free icons as ToME 4 for their abiliity bar weirds me out a bit, especially since I've sunk far too much time into that game over the years and have very clear associations with most of these icons. Are they meant to be placeholders?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Viatagender: ⚧ Arcane

Viata
    Parrots:
    "What is hot, good, and filling?"
    "My wife"

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tytusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Tytus
    Parrots:
    Filling? Wife? Trannies confirmed. It's a must buy!

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. 4249gender: ⚧ Erudite Patron

Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Not too convinced about the developers influences.

He's into :balance:

Also has an article on Gamasutra where he talks some about Goldbox games and... stuff. At least he's acknowledging some of the shortcomings.

But at least he's into Grimoire :troll:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Coma Whitegender: ⚧ Educated

Coma White
    Parrots:
    Really though; more power to this guy. The title Archmage Rises HAS to go though --

^ Top  
  7. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Seems interesting but I am sick of reading topics about half made games that have no release date (and maybe never will).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    Pirates! inspiration sounds good.

Should have picked AoD as an example. Sound pretty ambitions for a 1 person team though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. V_Kgender: ⚧ Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    It seems to be procedurally generated, so C&Cs will probably be systemic. Which means he might actually pull it off, but on the other hand the story will probably be boring AF, despite the numerous choices. Single-character blobber combat also doesn't inspire me with much hope.
    Where's my turn-based Darklands... :(

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again vonAchdorfgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    The volume for the video audio was so low, I couldn't understand a word.

I think procedural stories could be good, if they factor in a lot of parameters and emergent gameplay / stories. Would be an interesting field for research to create such a system.

Battle Brothers does this in a more limited scale as well with its factions and their missions.

^ Top  
  11. Epsilongender: ⚧ Arbiter

Epsilon
    Parrots:
    I really don't think I played the same Skyrim this guy did. For one, I never got the impression that the world reacted to what I did. Even if I had become the 'dovahkeen', the guards still treated me the same as they did in the beginning of the game. If choices have no effect or meaning, why are they noteworthy?
    The game looks interesting nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    BobtheTree thats a nice find there, much more interisting game than what i've seen on the dex frontpage since months.It takes works, will and courage to browse greenlight , pages and pages of shovelware and jokegames hoping to find the new underrail or neo scavenger.
    Just watched the greenlight trailer , it's too good to be true and promises really a lot, only thing that worry me is the single character turnbased combat too.

^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    lol, this game's Greenlight trailer is a must-watch:

The Greenlight page describes the game as a Raistlin Majere simulator, but from watching this video I'd say it has a bit of Rance in it as well. :P

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    • Brofist x 9
    • :M x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. LordYabogender: ⚧ Defiance Game Studio Patron Developer

LordYabo
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Game dev here: Sorry to confuse, those are placeholder icons that have stuck around for too long I suppose. :) Just prioritizing other art assets first.
    We actually plan to redo the cast selection system but haven't got to it yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. LordYabogender: ⚧ Defiance Game Studio Patron Developer

LordYabo
    Parrots:
    Sorry you don't like it. Too late to change it now!

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. LordYabogender: ⚧ Defiance Game Studio Patron Developer

LordYabo
    Parrots:
    Me too!
    Many indie games fail to complete for 3 or 4 common reasons. None of those threaten this game.

I'm making this game because I want to, I'm capable of doing so, and I have the finances to see it through.
    Short of me being hit by a bus, this game will come out and have all the promised features! :)

I'm showing the game in two days at CGDC in Portland, OR as a warm-up for the big reveal at GenCon 2016 where I have a booth.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    If the dev is here reading this, pls go full Rance and let Archmage be a slavemancer.

^ Top  
  19. LordYabogender: ⚧ Defiance Game Studio Patron Developer

LordYabo
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. LordYabogender: ⚧ Defiance Game Studio Patron Developer

LordYabo
    Parrots:
    Ya, someone pointed me to this thread, so thanks guys!
    Yes, you can enslave people. Sell em or force them to work for you.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  21. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Tytusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Tytus
    Parrots:
    LordYabo

After seeing the trailer and watching your pitch I'm looking forward to the game. (I have cast a vote on the greenlight site).

But I have some questions:

Will there be a lot of grind involved or will the game will relativly grind free? You said you aim to make an anwikiable game, but I'm afriad that entails a shit load of random encounters to prolong the game and make it more unexpected.
    Don't get me wrong I like blobbers and even some grind when the battle system is enjoyable, I'm just a little worried.

How far/deep will the relations with people in the wolrd go. You said you are inspired by Pirates but while it was a great game the relation between you and your spouse were really limited. Will I be able to have a conversation with my wife, send her to do something, produce children, will the spouse give me gift when I return, or will I have to give her gifts to keep some relation bar high? Will she cook for me giving me some stat boosts I don't get eating/sleeping in a tavern ? (home sweet home modifier :P ). Will the family of my spouse try to take revenge on me if I treat her badly ? (selling her off).
    How will having children work? Is there a passage of time ? Can I train up my kid to be a second Wizard and include him in my party?

Also you said the game is inspired by Raistlin Majere, but can I play as something like Palin Majere, get my fingers broken by the villains and become a jaded and disilusioned grump of a wizard? :P

^ Top  
  23. Lhynngender: ⚧ Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    Looks very good actually. Hopefully it gets finished.

^ Top  
  24. LordYabogender: ⚧ Defiance Game Studio Patron Developer

LordYabo
    Parrots:
    The primary coder is sitting across from me. I told him to finish it. He said he will. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Lhynngender: ⚧ Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    Just make sure it doesnt end up feeling pointless. Happens far too often in RNG dependant games. Playing for the sake of playing can be cool, but it will end up tiring players fast, so add a point. Maybe RNG quests based on the character creation. Like tracking a long lost sibling, dethroning a an evil king via murder or stirring up a rebellion, claiming a crown, taking revenge against a high ranking official backed up by an emperor, stopping a demon invasion, hunting down a family of powerful vampires.

Have all of them and more be an option at character creation, this gives your player a goal and a motivation for their characters, and it provides a context to your actions. They dont need to be super complex, just need to be there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)