Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum is, by far, one of the worst *games* I've ever played... emphasis on "game" and not "RPG"

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The commenter quoted in the OP is a retard basically asking for an easy button that would streamline everything and let him surf through the game.

You are one of those "my game is so hardcore and I like it that way, despite the shitty UI", aren't you?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, I played it a lot and UI game me no head ache. This thread and others are my first encounters with "Arcanum interface/UI sux". I don't get it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The UI fit Arcanum perfectly. Was it a little rough around the edges sometimes? Maybe but that's how steam punk technology works bro.
I felt like a train operator clicking buttons and twisting knobs getting shit to happen.

:incline:

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
I've never understood the fanboyism around arcanum. The system is theoretically very open-ended and reactive but after first few whiles it stops being visible, combat is poor, dungeons are pointless - not as overly complicated or something, they're simply pointless timewasters and so on and so forth. So what does it have, exactly? A setting? A mediocre story? Don't make me laugh.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
You are one of those "my game is so hardcore and I like it that way, despite the shitty UI", aren't you?
The UI was a bit clunky but perfectly workable for its time. Something like auto-sort is definitely not on my top list of priorities, as I mostly hate UI's that use it.

But, I was more referring to things mentioned like maps not having large glowing arrows showing you where to go, having to actually explore city maps for stores and other important locations (preposterous!), or the inability to process in-game information on how certain systems work instead of a dumbed-down tutorial.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
But, I was more referring to things mentioned like maps not having large glowing arrows showing you where to go

Who suggested that?

Why do people need to lie to justify their archaic UI system? Why do you think Google maps uses actual street names instead of "?"? Because it is convenient.

Adding quest arrows completely destroys the experience.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Who suggested that?

Why do people need to lie to justify their archaic UI system? Why do you think Google maps uses actual street names instead of "?"? Because it is convenient.

Adding quest arrows completely destroys the experience.

- You can't even ask NPCs where the different stores are, or whether certain stores exist or not, so you have to wander like a moron checking every building in the town to see if somebody will repair you equipment or buy/sell certain things.

Yeeah I'm not sure there's really another way to read this. What happened to the "exploring" part of RPGs? And how can anyone with half a brain actually have trouble finding stores in Arcanum??

And street names is a pretty stupid request in a top-down RPG. There's a reason why you don't see that in games. Baldur's gate? Nope. Fallout? Nnnnope. Neverwinter? Nope. Nope. Nope.

I can sort of see a function like that used in an MMO, but guess what, Arcanum isn't a fucking MMO and doesn't have to accomodate brain-dead people who think clicking on a sign is too much work.

EDIT: Google Maps is basically a real-life 'quest arrow' so yeeeeah...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yeeah I'm not sure there's really another way to read this.

How about "ask an NPC where something is?". Morrowind had it. It's called the Services dialog topic. No quest arrows there, mister.

Exploring is fine an dandy, but it seems pretty silly not being able to ask an NPC what can you find in the city/town in the ways of services.

And street names is a pretty stupid request in a top-down RPG. There's a reason why you don't see that in games.

I don't see it in games because Fallout doesn't have street names. Neither did Baldur's Gate (last time I checked). Nor Morrowind. As opposed to Arcanum, which had street names, but for some reason decided to place an ? instead of the actual street name on the map.

So if I wanted to find out where X street was, I had to click every single ? until I found it. It's not about helping the brain-dead. It's about streamlining the experience. We don't need remote controls either, but we have those because they help make things easier without ruining the actual experience of watching the TV.

Google Maps is basically a real-life 'quest arrow' so yeeeeah...

No, Google Maps is a map (I'm guessing you don't use the in-game maps on RPGs either, oh those casual developers).

I don't know why I argue with retards.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
How about "ask an NPC where something is?". Morrowind had it. It's called the Services dialog topic. No quest arrows there, mister.

Exploring is fine an dandy, but it seems pretty silly not being able to ask an NPC what can you find in the city/town in the ways of services.
It's also such a minor gripe that I'm not sure why we're still talking about it rather than the *actual* flaws Arcanum had like those I mentioned a few posts ago. So yes, my point still holds that it's silly to make a thread ostensibly to talk about the flaws of a cult classic and instead complain that a 10+ year old game isn't streamlined enough. Though it's actually just gripes of a gamer who grew lazy over time because modern games tend to spoonfeed you everything.

P.S. Also, Morrowind is crap. Less crap than the rest of Bethestard lineup, but still.

I don't see it in games because Fallout doesn't have street names. Neither did Baldur's Gate (last time I checked). Nor Morrowind. As opposed to Arcanum, which had street names, but for some reason decided to place an ? instead of the actual street name on the map.
See, so that's basically fluff to reinforce the setting. You can still pretty much find everything the same as you would in BG2 or FO.

It's not about helping the brain-dead. It's about streamlining the experience.
Aand that's how we go from FO2 to FO3. 'Streamlining'.

No, Google Maps is a map (I'm guessing you don't use the in-game maps on RPGs either, oh those casual developers).
What's the last time you actually used Google maps to get anywhere?.. And mind you, as I mentioned, it makes sense since you're in a full 3D environment. In a top-down perspective you can basically see where you need to go.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't see it in games because Fallout doesn't have street names. Neither did Baldur's Gate (last time I checked). Nor Morrowind. As opposed to Arcanum, which had street names, but for some reason decided to place an ? instead of the actual street name on the map
Never play Bard's Tale, then.

bt1-skara_brae.jpg

:troll:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
The commenter quoted in the OP is a retard basically asking for an easy button that would streamline everything and let him surf through the game.

not like the ui was perfect but it wasnt that bad, you're just really stupid and are whining about nothing

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Yeeah I'm not sure there's really another way to read this.

And street names is a pretty stupid request in a top-down RPG. There's a reason why you don't see that in games.

So if I wanted to find out where X street was, I had to click every single ? until I found it. It's not about helping the brain-dead. It's about streamlining the experience. We don't need remote controls either, but we have those because they help make things easier without ruining the actual experience of watching the TV.

Google Maps is basically a real-life 'quest arrow' so yeeeeah...

I don't know why I argue with retards.

i guess arcanum is just too hard for a monkey like you ;)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
But something like that is in Arcanum which proves that you haven't played it much. You can ask a policeman (but also a quest giver and often other people) for directions for example (in Tarant about Schuyler and Sons for example), you can ask your companions for hints and directions and in Tarant you can use metro to quickly travel to each district for like 5 gold.
So if I wanted to find out where X street was, I had to click every single ? until I found it.
lol
After a short while you should be able to tell where everything is. If not you really should go back to Bethesda games.

Tarant only has like 30 buildings, and there's like 5 roads. This should not be hard to figure out. And 1/3rd of the buildings are some kind of store, do you want to play twenty questions when you ask NPCs to tell you where a store is and they ask what kind of store you're looking for? Anything quest-specific already gives you an address so its easy to find the place.

It's not like the game is Daggerfall with settlements that have hundreds of buildings.

pippin

We have now two threads about Lucas9's inability to understand rather simple games, apparently.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
gets lost in tarant -> should stick to moms basement

gets lost in black root -> ehh

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Which game studio would be the best for making a sequel?
I don't think Arcanum needs a sequel, honestly. It would be interesting to see new games in the same vein, but a sequel? Arcanum is pretty self-contained.

Also, I feel like the "fantasy world racism" theme, which is probably Arcanum's main focus (second only to magic vs science), has been done to death by now.

But, to answer your question, it's be interesting to see Larian to do something like that, because let's face it - D:OS is the best turn-based RPG in years, and I see Arcanum as primarily turn-based. That said, I don't think they could replicate the original Arcanum's writing style.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
not like the ui was perfect but it wasnt that bad, you're just really stupid and are whining about nothing

You should hear his opinions on Gothic 1. The game is 'tedious' and the controls 'shit' because he has to press an extra button to pick up items.

I'm calling alt. Or troll.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'll say it one last time, see if people have brains to understand it: there's a difference between truly streamlining something and completely dumbing it down. Streamlining improves the experience. Adding hotkeys is streamlining, for one. Dumbing down, like removing features in the first place, doesn't improve the experience.

IF you can't understand this... well, then you are all either just trolling or plain retarded.

Thanks Lori.

Arcanum a shit. SHIT.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom