Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum High Resolution Patch

Relayer71

Liturgist
I had a similar problem a while back - turning off AA & AF fixed it.

Relayer71 said:
I had a similar problem a while back - turning off AA & AF fixed it.
This alone wasn't enough, but setting video card options to performance mode finally did the trick for me. Thanks!

The_Pope

Scholar
Drog Black Tooth said:
Thanks everyone for the kind words! Hope you enjoy the game a bit more now.

I'm curious, though, does the game slow down for anyone in higher resolutions? Are there any performance issues?

Also, if anyone has hardware to run the game in resolutions higher than 2048x1536, then I'd very interested to see the screenshots.

I've got 2560x1600, but it will probably be about a week before I can try this out. Will post screens when I do.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I'm wondering if anyone found any more bugs. I'd like to make a few more fixes/additions before releasing a new version.

Also, what about performance? Any issues with that? Does anyone experience slow down when scrolling in resolutions like 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1200, etc? And if so, does the '-no3d' option help?

Zyrxil

Scholar
-When I installed with larger fonts, the game just refused to launch; had to uninstall/reinstall without it. I'm only running at 1024x768 so it didn't make much of a difference for me, but it was strange.

-No3d really fucks things up if you try to alt-tab. Don't know if that's the base game or the patch.

-Moving inventory items around can sometimes be extremely finicky. This is especially noticeable (though it does happen at other times) if you try to move a large item you stashed in the hotbar back to inventory. It's like the game isn't detecting where the grid is correctly, and you have to drop half the Quality Broadsword below the grid just to have it auto snap into place.

Hrungnir_dna

Novice
Okay, so I installed this patch and liked it at first. The game certainly looked a lot nicer and everything was a lot more clear. However issues with the inventory grid registering properly and occasional slow-downs were annoying me, and when my PC got a memory-related BSOD while running the game (I had been running it for a while, perhaps it was memory leaks?), I decided to uninstall.

So I uninstall, but unfortunately, my most recent save, the one I had been using under the high-res patch, was corrupted. Stupidly, I hadn't backed it up or used a different save slot, so it seems I'm screwed now (my last save in another slot was quite a ways back). Anyway, it's too late for me, but I just thought I'd let everyone know about these potential issues.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Memory leaks are a common problem in the original game. The software rendering mode (the '-no3d' option) usually helps, though.

Hrungnir_dna

Novice
Yeah, I heard that about the game before. It was just weird that I only got my first BSOD after the high res patch. Maybe the higher resolutions make the memory leaks worse? Either way, I'll try the '-no3d' option.

denizsi

Arcane
I tried playing for a while at 1920x1200, with larger fonts, and no issues, performance or otherwise, that I could see. Scroll limit was ignored though.

Then I played for a while at 1680x1050 and again, no issues. Scroll limit was back in. I've finally settled down at 1280x800, and still no issues.

It would be nice to be able to set a custom scroll limit.

Klyx

Novice
ZOMBWTFBBQ!!!!!!

Drog Black Tooth, you are instantly and permanently my favorite person. I cannot begin to show my gratitude and thanks for your efforts in taking up such a worthy endeavor. I really wish good things for you. Keep up the AMAZING work!

The_Pope

Scholar
The game worked fine at 1920x1200, but at 2560x1600 black triangles covered the screen. Do you want screenshots?

Haven't tried no3d.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The_Pope said:
The game worked fine at 1920x1200, but at 2560x1600 black triangles covered the screen. Do you want screenshots?

Haven't tried no3d.
Please do try -no3d. And I would like to see the screenshots of 2560x1600 in either case.

Also, someone posted screenshots of a rather simplistic resolution hack a while ago. It was running 2560x1600 without any rendering issues.
Antares said:
First time poster, long time lurker. Signed up so i could share some offsets, which I used to make a wide screen hack yesterday.
Turns out that's wasted time now or? :( Looks glorious in 2560x1600 though :cool:

<snip>

Edit: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6595/c ... 0x1600.jpg
Edit2: http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1525 ... 0x1600.jpg
Edit2: http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/871/ ... 0x1600.jpg

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
A thousand thanks won't be enough to express how happy you made me Drog. Thank you

On the point. At first I was having problems with lagging inventory and etc. Then at the point when I was going to come here to whine I saw your post in the news comments section about windows 7 and the -doublebuffer switch.

It does work, I tried it on 3 different pcs running win7 and it was working.

So if you are crazy and use windows 7 don't forget to start the game with the -doublebuffer switch.

denizsi

Arcane
I just noticed that logbook is kind of screwed at any larger resolution with larger fonts. Long entries in the log are cut off as you can't see the bottom of pages, which also prevents you from seeing the page numbers.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
denizsi said:
I just noticed that logbook is kind of screwed at any larger resolution with larger fonts. Long entries in the log are cut off as you can't see the bottom of pages, which also prevents you from seeing the page numbers.
Thanks for reporting. I've expanded the text area and as you can see the longest entry now fits without any problems. Fixed the missing page numbers, as well.
logbooknew.png

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
While it is possible, I'm not sure if it's needed, it won't look as good in any case, since there are only two versions of the font used in dialogs (size 12 and 14).

Here's how the NPC response looks with the other fonts:
Size 16:
font16.png

Size 18:
font18.png
font18alt.png

I can include one of these in the next version, if there's a demand. So please vote, if you want it.

pipka

Savant
OK, here's a screenshot with size 18. How do you people like it?

I think it's cool. Not that i'm going to use it, old fonts are fine by me.
Are there problems with PC's dialog options/choices? I mean, is it going to overlap somewhere and cut out some text?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
pipka said:
OK, here's a screenshot with size 18. How do you people like it?

I think it's cool. Not that i'm going to use it, old fonts are fine by me.
Are there problems with PC's dialog options/choices? I mean, is it going to overlap somewhere and cut out some text?
The original PC response window is 400x100. I've enlarged it to 600x120 to prevent the clipping issues (the window also stretches automatically in case some really long line appears). The NPC response area has been also expanded to 300x300 (instead of the original 200x200).

Drog Black Tooth said:
The original PC response window is 400x100. I've enlarged it to 600x120 to prevent the clipping issues (the window also stretches automatically in case some really long line appears).

:!:

Does this mean that you can fit more dialog onto the PC lines in .dlg files? Or is there a character limit?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Etienne_the_Guardian said:
Drog Black Tooth said:
The original PC response window is 400x100. I've enlarged it to 600x120 to prevent the clipping issues (the window also stretches automatically in case some really long line appears).

:!:

Does this mean that you can fit more dialog onto the PC lines in .dlg files? Or is there a character limit?
There's no character limit, so, yes, you can have PC lines of any length you want, as long as they fit into your screen width.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom