Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info ArcaniA Add-on Delayed due to Diverse Legal Positions

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Jason, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Gothic 4: Arcania; JoWood Productions

<p>In a move destined to disappoint wonky, sub-par RPG fans around the world, JoWood has <a href="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=21ee93887d53169fec8008104bb8debe&amp;t=1805913" target="_blank">delayed ArcaniA &ndash; Fall of Setarrif</a> indefinitely.</p>
    <blockquote>Vienna, Austria, March 23rd 2011; JoWooD has to delay the add-on &ldquo;ArcaniA &ndash; Fall of Setarrif&ldquo; indefinitely. The legal background of the official add-on to &ldquo;ArcaniA - Gothic 4&rdquo; is unclear and diverse legal positions with the BVT fund that financed the main game are present.<br /><br />&ldquo;It&rsquo;s uncertain whether the game can be released onto the market in its current form&rdquo;, explains Stefan Berger, Business Development Manager JoWooD, &ldquo;of course this must be investigated and settled before the release - unfortunately&rdquo;. Due to this fact JoWooD officially announces, that the release of the Add-On has been set on hold and will be delayed indefinitely for now.</blockquote>
    <p><br /><em>Thanks to jdaubenb for sharing this tragic news</em></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    ^ Top  
  2. Zarniwoop Destiny Cleanser

Zarniwoop
    Ah, some good news on the Codex at last. Feel free to delay that shit all you want.

I knew I made the right move in finally signing up. :smug:
    ^ Top  
  3. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Angthoron
    This news breaks my heart.
    ^ Top  
  4. Alex Arcane

Alex
    Maybe not, but I still hate to see a game stopped because of legal reasons. I mean, was there ever a time when a game that run into legal troubles would actually really harm the plaintiff? All cases I ever heard about were companies using the legal system to try to wind market advantages.
    ^ Top  
  5. ortucis Scholar

ortucis

All DA2 fans?

:smug:
    ^ Top  
  6. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Eh, the press release is probably just poorly worded. From what I recall JoWood is under the control of a corporate receiver as a result of their bankruptcy proceedings. So maybe they thought the costs of marketing, production, whatever wouldn't be profitable enough given projected sales. The company is basically being run in a manner to pay off their debt at this point.
    ^ Top  
  7. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Damn it! What will Darth Roxor review now?
    ^ Top  
  8. Blackula Educated

Blackula
    Maybe this game was too shitty even for jewood standards? Think about it; worse than Forsaken Gods...
    ^ Top  
  9. Mastermind Arcane

Mastermind
    I was. :(
    ^ Top  
  10. thesheeep Liturgist

thesheeep
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *breathes* ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ^ Top  
  11. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    I was so looking forward to Darth's double deview of "ArCaniA: The shittyness continues" and "Dragon Age 2: Will the shittiness ever stop?"...:(

Fucking Jowood, robbed me of entertainment once again :x
    Damn you, damn you to hell!
    ^ Top  
  12. kofeur Educated

kofeur
    Sometimes it's fun to play a shitty game just for the heck of it :)
    ^ Top  
  13. Trojan_generic Savant

Trojan_generic
    This. Jowood is essentially dead. Good luck with the patches for this add-on.
    ^ Top  
  14. ChristofferC Augur

ChristofferC
    And there was much rejoicing.
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I am deeply saddened by this turn of events.

[​IMG]

:smug: :smug: :smug:
    ^ Top  
  16. made Arcane

made
    Rumor has it Jewood tried to screw BVT out of its share from DLC sales - DLC that was developed alongside the game, financed by BVT. There's potential lulz to be had here if the dispute can draw media attention to that practice.
    ^ Top  
  17. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    Possibly because PB still owns the IP. JW has only acquired the rights to a Gothic 3 expansion and a "Gothic 4". After that, they would have to be a licensee of PB to keep using the setting and the name or stop using it altogether.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)