Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info ArcaniA Add-on Delayed due to Diverse Legal Positions

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Gothic 4: Arcania; JoWood Productions

<p>In a move destined to disappoint wonky, sub-par RPG fans around the world, JoWood has <a href="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=21ee93887d53169fec8008104bb8debe&amp;t=1805913" target="_blank">delayed ArcaniA &ndash; Fall of Setarrif</a> indefinitely.</p>
<blockquote>Vienna, Austria, March 23rd 2011; JoWooD has to delay the add-on &ldquo;ArcaniA &ndash; Fall of Setarrif&ldquo; indefinitely. The legal background of the official add-on to &ldquo;ArcaniA - Gothic 4&rdquo; is unclear and diverse legal positions with the BVT fund that financed the main game are present.<br /><br />&ldquo;It&rsquo;s uncertain whether the game can be released onto the market in its current form&rdquo;, explains Stefan Berger, Business Development Manager JoWooD, &ldquo;of course this must be investigated and settled before the release - unfortunately&rdquo;. Due to this fact JoWooD officially announces, that the release of the Add-On has been set on hold and will be delayed indefinitely for now.</blockquote>
<p><br /><em>Thanks to jdaubenb for sharing this tragic news</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Elzair

Cipher
Honestly, was ANYONE looking forward to this piece of shit?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah, some good news on the Codex at last. Feel free to delay that shit all you want.

I knew I made the right move in finally signing up. :smug:

Alex

Arcane
Elzair said:

Maybe not, but I still hate to see a game stopped because of legal reasons. I mean, was there ever a time when a game that run into legal troubles would actually really harm the plaintiff? All cases I ever heard about were companies using the legal system to try to wind market advantages.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Alex said:
Elzair said:

Maybe not, but I still hate to see a game stopped because of legal reasons. I mean, was there ever a time when a game that run into legal troubles would actually really harm the plaintiff? All cases I ever heard about were companies using the legal system to try to wind market advantages.

Eh, the press release is probably just poorly worded. From what I recall JoWood is under the control of a corporate receiver as a result of their bankruptcy proceedings. So maybe they thought the costs of marketing, production, whatever wouldn't be profitable enough given projected sales. The company is basically being run in a manner to pay off their debt at this point.

Blackula

Educated
Maybe this game was too shitty even for jewood standards? Think about it; worse than Forsaken Gods...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *breathes* ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shannow

Waster of Time
I was so looking forward to Darth's double deview of "ArCaniA: The shittyness continues" and "Dragon Age 2: Will the shittiness ever stop?"...:(

Fucking Jowood, robbed me of entertainment once again :x
Damn you, damn you to hell!

kofeur

Liturgist
Sometimes it's fun to play a shitty game just for the heck of it :)

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Metro said:
From what I recall JoWood is under the control of a corporate receiver as a result of their bankruptcy proceedings.

This. Jowood is essentially dead. Good luck with the patches for this add-on.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I am deeply saddened by this turn of events.

fireworks.jpg

:smug: :smug: :smug:

made

Arcane
Rumor has it Jewood tried to screw BVT out of its share from DLC sales - DLC that was developed alongside the game, financed by BVT. There's potential lulz to be had here if the dispute can draw media attention to that practice.

MCA
Possibly because PB still owns the IP. JW has only acquired the rights to a Gothic 3 expansion and a "Gothic 4". After that, they would have to be a licensee of PB to keep using the setting and the name or stop using it altogether.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom