Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good space sims on kickstarter (a list thread)

Yes, I know there's already a thread for listing indie space sims, but this one is kickstarter specific. I'm not posting it because I'm a mad space sim fan (though I did enjoy them back in the day) but because they were one of the few genres whose fanbases were screwed even worse and more unreasonably than we were. The genre never died commercially - it simply stopped being made. Largely, I suspect, because any decent team with experience in space sims can render the space graphics, the physics had been well-honed before the genre's collapse, and any attempt to show of the developer's 'l33t skillz' as artists (read 'ability to make everything cinematic with cutscenes') just clashes so horribly with the basic concept of a space sim that even the decline wasn't able to find a way to insert them. Basically, it's such a hard genre to fuck up (in the basic world building and graphical design sense - OBVIOUSLY the ship design, balance, factions, mining/trading, combat balance and all that are going to be far more difficult) that they couldn't build a 'declined' version of the space sims, and so they just didn't make them at all.

And space sims are neiither ancient, nor were they ever niche genres like submarine or airplane sims. This was a huge mainstream genre - there's got to be a whole ton of fans that would be just as excited about a good kickstarter space sim as we would be about Wasteland 2 / Project Eternity / Chaos Chronicles / etc.

So let's start a list of ones we find on kickstarter that show sufficient promise to perhaps be worth a donation. Again, I'll won't be judging myself, as I'm far from a hardcore fan of the genre - just someone who used to play them casually and who can't understand the market dynamics of why they disappeared.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom