Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good 2d shoot-em-ups?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I was thinking of buying Raptor: Call of the Shadows 2010 Edition, but user reviews had some complaints about bad controls.

So is there any top- or sidescrolling shoot-em-ups available that are worth trying?
I'm too chickenshit for bullet hell stuff.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Define "available".

PC only? Consoles? Emulators? How far back are you willing to go?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Define "available".

PC only? Consoles? Emulators? How far back are you willing to go?
PC. Sold on Steam/GOG/Other or freeware.
Emulations are doable, but I'm most interested about relatively new stuff. Let's say post 2010.
I got Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender, which somehow manages to be a worse game than venerable c64 version of Defender.

RuySan

Augur
Stuff like tyrian and raptor were good when we didn't know any better. Do your self a favour and install MAME to play Japanese stuff. You can't go wrong with CAVE games. Some of them are on steam.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
PC. Sold on Steam/GOG/Other or freeware.
Emulations are doable, but I'm most interested about relatively new stuff. Let's say post 2010.
I got Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender, which somehow manages to be a worse game than venerable c64 version of Defender.

As others have said it already, look further.

On the emulation front, I always recommend the same title first: Parodius, a Gradius/Nemesis clone and then some. If you find it disappointing you don't have a soul.

Falksi

Arcane
Some old school SNES & Megadrive SEUs really take some beating. UN Squadron still makes me spunk.

Crospy

Learned
DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours. It's the only truly stellar non-bullet-hell on steam. The price will probably make you wince, but it's absolutely worth every single cent of it. The variety of game modes and their quality is mindboggling and unique in the genre. CS mode offers the entire legacy of the Darius series, with both levels that play like the modern Dariusburst, and levels that feature encounters and ships from the various classics. The modern ships and the introduction of the countering laser that can be used both as a form of controlled shield, offense, and also a counterburst attack that needs to be very precisely executed when bosses use their own megalaser of death add a lot of spice to the game too. The game has a lot of staying power, mastering even only one feature like the counterburst takes quite some time, and the timing is different on all the ships that have the feature!

Aside from that, I would recommend you ignore emulation of SNES/Genesis and jump into MAME instead. Most shmups on those platforms were mediocre ports of Arcade games, and the ones that weren't port would only count as "average" compared to the better arcade shmups. They only really have nostalgia value, if you were a kid who owned these platforms and couldn't spend much coins on real arcades.
Try anything from Psikyo, like the Strikers series, Gunbird, and some of the not-really-bullet-hell games from CAVE, like DonPachi, Dangun Feveron. Also Darius Gaiden, the best Darius release outside of DARIUSBURST.
Anything from the 19xx is a good bet too, easily capcom at its best :
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/19XX/19xx.htm

If after that you're still liking the genre, you should be ready for some of the truly nightmare-ish stuff like Battle Garegga and Battle Bakraid.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've played the 2010 version of Raptor quite a bit, with a controller, and it's fine.

Starr Mazer: DSP is also really good, but it got pulled from steam for a copyright violation. good luck getting it now.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Not an exact match for the type of game you are looking for, but Deadstone, my first game is a retro style top down shooter with tower defense and a fairly hefty character development system (4 stats, 70+ perks). Has 2 player local co-op, 2 game modes and 2 separate stories (straight up survival, farce) because it was easier to write another story than make a simple decision. It will be 50% off from tomorrow on Steam. #pimpingmygames

Sjukob

Arcane
No Alien Shooter in this topic ? There are two parts , check out both of them .

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

RuySan

Augur
Jets'n'Guns commits most of the sins of Euro-shmups. It's probably among the best of those (and the soundtrack is great), but still way inferior to the japanese arcade classics.

RuySan

Augur
Jets'n'Guns commits most of the sins of Euro-shmups.
And what are those sins? I'm curious because I'm thinking of making my own schmup and maybe I'm not aware of some of those "sins".

The most obvious is having an energy bar instead of instant death. Another is having enemies which take way too many shots to kill (HP Bloat on shmups!!!). Pop-corn enemies is fun. Besides that it usually boils down to feature creep, like having a store, and currency and whatsoever. Shmups should be simple and pure.

And for the most part, enemy patterns and overall level design is usually much inferior.

Crospy

Learned
- usually very slow scrolling which makes the added environmental factors feel more static than something to be very careful of
- health bars in conjunction with unavoidable damage. Basically it's not the fact that the game has health bars in themselves that make the euroshmup what it is, it's the fact that they add the mechanic because the devs are unable to come up with thoughtful level design and patterns and inevitably introduce damage that is just not avoidable.
- more time spent on adding crappy gimmicks like adding mechanics to purchase weapons in lieu of polishing the core gameplay
- thoughtless placement of enemies, absence of distinctive flow/interesting routing to think of across levels, which ties to point 2 with healthbars. Barely any attempt at making level designs beyond of having to kill a specific turret or large enemy occasionally while the screen scrolls slowly. In japanese shmups, learning routes to preemptively kill enemies is vital. There are full sequences where things get very hairy if you're not already pre-positioning to hit before spawns.
- no concept of pacing, large quantities of enemies with inflated hp coupled with little player power progression (oh you can customize your weapons and buy new ones! but things will still die slowly no matter what).
- controls that feature gravity/inertia
- smudgy pseudo-realistic busy artstyles that detract from the focus on the core of noticing patterns and dodging them.

euroshmup wankery at its finest :
PAPeUOfVO.png

brown shitvomit covered in fog

No game exhibit every single symptom listed, but if you hit more than 3 chances are it's just euroshmup trash.

The TL;DR is that euroshmups are made by developers who try hard and stray as far as they can from the very essence of shmups : shooting and dodging. The design philosophy is to keep throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoy killing lots of enemies and having upgrades to choose from, while not dying from one enemy bullet. This is what euroshumps are for me. I'm not saying they need to be easy, Hydorah being a good example of a hard shmup.

For me, japanese shumps are more about "git gud" to rank high in score. Not very fun.

RuySan

Augur
From the screenshots, seems like hydorah was influenced by Rainbow Arts shmups (Katakis, Z-out, X-Out and Turrican 2 shmup levels) which as far as i am concerned are among the best euro shmups (also, Apydia). Or maybe it was influenced by Gradius...I have to play first to make sure.

One thing i like about Cave games, is that unlike Gradius/R-Type and the kind, losing a life doesn't mean instant game over because of the loss of Power Ups. That's usually as much as a turn off for me in shmups as is random combat in RPG's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom