Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga RPG's

This is a sister thread to my C64 RPG's.

I will list the games I have played/finished, and also provide a link to the MG database to rock peoples memories. I did not play as many as the C64; I switched late from the C64 and went early into PC's.

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/amiga/x,50/

Adventures of Maddog Williams
Bandit Kings of Ancient China
Bloodwych and data disk (will need a replay)
Captive
Drakhen
Dungeon Master
Eye of the Beholder 1 + 2
Four Crystals of Trazere and Son of the Empire
Knighmare
Shadowlands
Fate:Gates of Dawn (did not finish, perhaps I should)
Legend of the Sword
Legend of Ferghail

Any that I am missing here? Alternatively, is the PC version better?

Redlands

Arcane
I'm pretty sure Ishar was on the Amiga. I remember it being mentioned in CU Amiga at some point.

I was trying to play an Amiga rpg awhile back called Perihelion The Prophecy.
http://edvardtoth.com/games/perihelion/
perihelion056.jpg

I was attracted to the cyberpunkish post apocalyptic setting.
What irks me is that all the enemy encounters in the game are story based.
Which wouldn't be a problem if the game didn't play & control like a dungeon crawler.
You spend at least a half hour or two just to generate your party. (Maybe even an hour if you take the time to input all the formula's to create magic spells.)
Only to be greeted with a barren wasteland of a world. There's barely anybody to fight, or to interact with.

Granted it's post apocalyptic, but I'd at least expect to get into fights with some demons, or something. Instead of endlessly walking around some maze in the form of a town with nothing to actually do in it. (No loot, no enemies to kill, no villagers to speak to, nothing.)
It's a sad shame, because I loved the atmosphere of the game.
I'm pretty sure Ishar was on the Amiga
All three Ishar's are on the Amiga plus the prequel, Crystal of Arborea (Well the game that originated the setting of the Ishar titles.)
Crystals of Arborea: http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2577 ... rea053.jpg
Ishar http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2356/ishar018.jpg
Ishar 2 http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7959/ishar2057.jpg
Ishar 3
I didn't play Arborea for long. It's basically like a slower Ishar. A prototype.

Even Arkania was on the Amiga.
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5454 ... nia060.jpg
I played, and liked

Heimdall
Hired Guns
Hired Guns is the shit.
hiredguns038.jpg

Hired Guns played like the way I would imagine an Aliens rpg to play like.
A claustrophobic dungeon crawl with guns.
It's too bad that we'll never see a new Hired Guns, because Rockstar North is too busy churning out GTA sequels. (DMA design/Rockstar North developed Hired Guns.)

There's an Amiga exclusive rpg called Ambermoon that's heralded as the best RPG on the Amiga.
I couldn't get the game to work. So I have no idea what the game is like at all.
Ambermoon: http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6590 ... oon116.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8174 ... oon117.jpg

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Good luck with that. :)

The French developer who made this game and Legends Of Fearghall was probably on the verge of creating a whole different subgenre of RPGs, but they never were too successful as a developer.

Their aim seemed to have been to take The Bard's Tale and place it in a massive world with loads of options for each and every encounter. Which is somewhat bad, because The Bard's Tale is a bad inspiration to take from, since it's one of the worse of the second generation of RPGs. To be honest, The Bard's Tale is probably the worst and the most boring pure Western RPG I have ever played.

abstract

Scholar
Ambermoon!

I got it to work with no problems on UAE, it was a bit on the slow side, but I had an old computer then. It was a really good game, though I found the combat quite frustrating - usually it was swing! miss! swing! miss! swing! miss! swing! miss! swing! hit for no damage! swing! miss! swing! hit for 2 damage! and so on; every attack had to display an animation and some mobs had multiple attacks, which meant it just went on and on and on until I finally got fed up and never finished it.

It also had some tricky adventure game puzzles, keyword - based conversations with npc's, pretty grafix, all in all probably the best crpg on Amiga.

made

Arcane
Some of the best Amiga RPGs that had no (or very inferior) PC ports:

Amberstar/Ambermoon
Black Crypt
Perihelion (as mentioned above, char generation is unique and very complex but gameplay somewhat boring; terrific graphics style/atmosphere)
Death Or Glory (this is actually a strategy/RPG hybrid the kind of which you see on consoles all the time but rarely on PCs. One day I'll make a LP for this game, it's fucking awesome)

Shagnak

Shagadelic
made said:
Some of the best Amiga RPGs that had no (or very inferior) PC ports:

Amberstar/Ambermoon
Black Crypt
These two.
Especially Black Crypt. It's just a dungeon crawl, but what a dungeon crawl!

Many a late night with beer and chips was spent on these two. One drunken fuck with mouse and keyboard, one with paper for maps/notes. I miss those days.

The Dude

Liturgist
Yeah, Black Crypt was probably the premier Amiga exclusive rpg. It was Raven software's first game ever, and they really showed that they would become a software studio to be reckoned with. IMO it's at least on the same level as the first two EoB titles, and thus obviously far superior to the third one. There's even a PC openGL demo containing the first two dungeon levels that can be found here. I think the idea from the beginning was to port the whole game, sadly they didn't finish it.

Wyrmlord said:
Blackadder said:

The French developer who made this game and Legends Of Fearghall was probably on the verge of creating a whole different subgenre of RPGs, but they never were too successful as a developer.

Their aim seemed to have been to take The Bard's Tale and place it in a massive world with loads of options for each and every encounter. Which is somewhat bad, because The Bard's Tale is a bad inspiration to take from, since it's one of the worse of the second generation of RPGs. To be honest, The Bard's Tale is probably the worst and the most boring pure Western RPG I have ever played.

Agreed, now. Back when it came out, it was fairly good (considering the competition). I wouldn't play it again, in spite of the fact that I played them on the C64. Better graphics is not a good enough reason.

As for Fate, that game was insane. I played it during a period where I did not have great amounts of time, and though I thought the game was excellent, the hundreds of hours invested did not see me through to the end. I probably have the save around somewhere, not that I think the disk is not corrupted.

Topdrunkee thy ILLnifique said:
I was trying to play an Amiga rpg awhile back called Perihelion The Prophecy.
http://edvardtoth.com/games/perihelion/
perihelion056.jpg

I was attracted to the cyberpunkish post apocalyptic setting.
What irks me is that all the enemy encounters in the game are story based.
Which wouldn't be a problem if the game didn't play & control like a dungeon crawler.
You spend at least a half hour or two just to generate your party. (Maybe even an hour if you take the time to input all the formula's to create magic spells.)
Only to be greeted with a barren wasteland of a world. There's barely anybody to fight, or to interact with.

Granted it's post apocalyptic, but I'd at least expect to get into fights with some demons, or something. Instead of endlessly walking around some maze in the form of a town with nothing to actually do in it. (No loot, no enemies to kill, no villagers to speak to, nothing.)
It's a sad shame, because I loved the atmosphere of the game.
I'm pretty sure Ishar was on the Amiga
All three Ishar's are on the Amiga plus the prequel, Crystal of Arborea (Well the game that originated the setting of the Ishar titles.)
Crystals of Arborea: http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2577 ... rea053.jpg
Ishar http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2356/ishar018.jpg
Ishar 2 http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7959/ishar2057.jpg
Ishar 3
I didn't play Arborea for long. It's basically like a slower Ishar. A prototype.

Even Arkania was on the Amiga.
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5454 ... nia060.jpg
I played, and liked

Heimdall
Hired Guns
Hired Guns is the shit.
hiredguns038.jpg

Hired Guns played like the way I would imagine an Aliens rpg to play like.
A claustrophobic dungeon crawl with guns.
It's too bad that we'll never see a new Hired Guns, because Rockstar North is too busy churning out GTA sequels. (DMA design/Rockstar North developed Hired Guns.)

There's an Amiga exclusive rpg called Ambermoon that's heralded as the best RPG on the Amiga.
I couldn't get the game to work. So I have no idea what the game is like at all.
Ambermoon: http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6590 ... oon116.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8174 ... oon117.jpg

Hired Guns looks like it could have possibilities. Some of the other games here mentioned too. Never heard of the Black Krypt before, so I am guessing Amiga games continued to be published some time after I switched to PC.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
OK, for those whom have played both The Black Crypt both on the Amiga and the OpenGL port, answer me this: Is there something different about the control scheme in the OpenGL port from the Amiga version?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Here are a couple that look interesting but I have not had time to try them yet.

Dragonflight
Paladin or Paladin 2
Swords of Twilight
Abandoned Places (horrible name)
Crytal Dragon
Knightmare
Obitus
Spirit of Adventure (another horrible name)

Anyone play any of these and decide if they are worth playing?

MisterStone

Arcane
I remember my brother played a RPG called "Hard Nova" which seemed pretty cool. But I think it was probably a VGA PC port.

MisterStone

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Blackadder said:

Fearghall was pretty bad... as in worse than vanilla Bard's Tale I. I remember the game being pretty buggy and having horrible documentation; also ridiculous magic mouth riddles that blocked progress through the entire game until you could guess WTF the designers were thinking. Not a good memory.

Luzur

Good Sir
vanilla Bards Tale 1? i didnt know there where patches and mods for that game, atleast not for the C64 version that i played back then.

abstract

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:
Here are a couple that look interesting but I have not had time to try them yet.

Dragonflight
Paladin or Paladin 2
Swords of Twilight
Abandoned Places (horrible name)
Crytal Dragon
Knightmare
Obitus
Spirit of Adventure (another horrible name)

Anyone play any of these and decide if they are worth playing?

Paladin was more of a fantasy - based tactical squad game than a crpg, it got rather poor reviews from what I remember.

There was also Captive 2: Liberation, Legend of Lothian, Hero Quest, the two Elvira games, and Evil's Doom, which looks pretty awesome.

Ambermoon and Amberstar were given good reviews back in the day.

Is amiga emulation any easier these days? Last time I tried you had to hunt for an illegal copy of workbench or something.

Win UAE is very easy to use. http://www.justadventure.com/articles/Amiga/Amiga1.shtm Read that, it will be easier than trying to walk everyone through the system.

Knightmare: Excellent RPG in the vein of Captive/Bloodwych/EoB/etc. It has plenty of good puzzles, and is quite tough. It is on my list for another playthrough.

Faerghail wasn't too bad. The riddles were difficult though, mainly through the poor translation from the source. This lead to many a letter being written to computing magazines (the only way you could get hints, tips and spoilets unless you bought a hint book). The combat was quite good, as were the dungeons.

Hard Nova is on my list to play. I checked it out and it appears to have some promise. You have your ship, with different stats, weapons, etc and also land on planets, space stations, and so on with party based role playing. Tactical battles as well.

Abandoned places looks interesting. There is also an AP 2 as well, though not sure if this ever came out for the Amiga.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
MisterStone said:
Fearghall was pretty bad... as in worse than vanilla Bard's Tale I. I remember the game being pretty buggy and having horrible documentation; also ridiculous magic mouth riddles that blocked progress through the entire game until you could guess WTF the designers were thinking. Not a good memory.
Yeah, that and The Bard's Tale style graphics make you almost eat your brain out from within, and they are guaranteed to ruin further the experience of any game.

I find 90 degree angle tile games to be quite acceptable, but the Bard's Tale shows you the adjacent walls of your present location. It looks like those walls are right ahead of you, but they are actually right where you are.

I look somewhere and think, "That blue wall is where the shopkeeper was," and I walk one step ahead, and I don't see the shopkeeper's house there, and I remember it's exactly behind where I was.

In order to play The Bard's Tale, I took out a my A5 notepad, and started drawing the city map with all its blocks, so I could count how many steps further or back I went in each street. I decided it was too much effort for a game that it did not offer much else either.

circ

Arcane
This isn't an RPG, but an excellent, unique game you should check out if you're using an Amiga or Atari ST emulator: Deuteros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom