Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amberstar and Ambermoon?

neilsouth

Augur
Being playing fate but another great game on the amiga was Ambermoon which was a sequel to amberstar. It was a huge game , with dungeons and fighting and many quests. Because of the amount of disc swapping involved i'd recommend installing the discs to the hard drive via workbench.

Hard Drive setup Guide here
http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http ... al_1/3.php

Preinstalled ClassicWork Bench Packs
http://classicwb.abime.net/

The discs ( don't get the de version )
http://www.thegamearchives.com/?val=0_2 ... 17_0_1_0_0

When asked to install ( install to dh2: )

Ambermoon1994ThalionDisk07of10G_031.png

Ambermoon1994ThalionDisk07of10G_051.png

http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/amb ... rmoon.html

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I enjoyed this game. If you know German you might want to get the German original version - it's rare to have games in German so it might be enjoyable to some to know that that version exists.

The game itself wasn't without its flaws, though- most notably that you weren't allowed to change the class of your main character, something that kept bothering me quite a bit. The lush environments make up for it though, especially once you start exploring the other planetoids.

spekkio

Arcane
They do. In Jappon that is. Western developers want to code another Halo. Or WoW.

Luzur

Good Sir
spekkio said:
They do. In Jappon that is. Western developers want to code another Halo. Or WoW.

FPV strategic RPG's? no, not exactly.

Final Fantasy clone number XIVIIII? more likely.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They make a lot of Wizardry games in Japan, and art-style aside, they are very good blob-based dungeon crawlers with TB combat.

Etrian Odyssey, EO 2, The Dark Spire (western art style for this one), the hundreds of Wizardry games, and many others. Though the latest DS Wizardry game isn't worth your time.

spekkio

Arcane
C'mon Lulzur, resistance is futile!

21l4vty.jpg
ixgobr.jpg

15519nk.jpg
5ppxlz.jpg

Just imagine that the lolis are beardy dwarfs and you're good to go.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede said:
Though the latest DS Wizardry game isn't worth your time.

Why not?

Also, never played this baby but the screenshots look gorgeous. And the combat seems like it has a board where you can move your characters around, which would be awesome.

Luzur

Good Sir
Jasede said:
They make a lot of Wizardry games in Japan, and art-style aside, they are very good blob-based dungeon crawlers with TB combat.

Etrian Odyssey, EO 2, The Dark Spire (western art style for this one), the hundreds of Wizardry games, and many others. Though the latest DS Wizardry game isn't worth your time.

hmm, i knew about Dark Spire and EO2, but i am not well reversed in recent Japanese RPG world contrary to what my collection pics tells you.

maybe i give some of them a try, if i find the emulators for them.

Mortmal

Arcane
I strongly advise you to play albion by the same developperas well if you havent, sadly its not on the amiga but on pc this time.Truly original sci fi/fantasy setting, much better plot than usual.I rate this one just under the ultimas.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank said:
Jasede said:
Though the latest DS Wizardry game isn't worth your time.

Why not?

Also, never played this baby but the screenshots look gorgeous. And the combat seems like it has a board where you can move your characters around, which would be awesome.

We might be thinking different games, but the last Wizardry on the DS in Japanese I played had a fatal flaw- actually two. Too much dialogue, and more importantly, you can't create your own characters. Also, combat was traditional.

--

Luzur, I spoke too soon, I think. The only games that completely fit the Wizardry-like category that you may not know about are Strange Journey (due for release soon, I think by the first of April) and the Japan-only Wizardry-likes, of which there are a great deal, but moot since in Japanese. I think only one of them came to the US: Tales of Forsaken Lands. It does have anime-art but the gameplay is very much Wizardry and the enemies look traditional. It's a PS 2 game. There's also Class of Heroes for the PSP, but again, it contains anime-graphics and is apparently crushingly difficult.

Martin

Educated
Isnt one of those games ...on the pc at least, the one where when you navigate in 2d maps the character says "ouch" and a very annoying sound plays everytime you hit a solid object?

I dont know what those developers were on but it was bad shit.

Tails

Arbiter
Martin said:
Isnt one of those games ...on the pc at least, the one where when you navigate in 2d maps the character says "ouch" and a very annoying sound plays everytime you hit a solid object?
For sure this was in Dungeon Master.

neilsouth

Augur
Martin said:

:lol: Yeh Dungeon Master

Never did like that game , i was a hardcore eye of the beholder fan!

sirfink

Scholar
Martin said:

Wizardry 6 and 7 both do this, but I remember a game where you actually suffered hit point loss every time you did this! Damn that sucked.

sirfink said:
Wizardry 6 and 7 both do this, but I remember a game where you actually suffered hit point loss every time you did this! Damn that sucked.
Tails said:
For sure this was in Dungeon Master.

It wasn't such a big deal, though, except it made looking for invisible walls somewhat annoying, even with the Magic vision spell.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Mortmal said:
I strongly advise you to play albion by the same developperas well if you havent, sadly its not on the amiga but on pc this time.Truly original sci fi/fantasy setting, much better plot than usual.I rate this one just under the ultimas.

I second that, Albion's pretty solid. Just a word of caution: the game's overloaded with furries.

spekkio

Arcane
LP of what?
Luzur - done already.
Wapanese Wizardrys - not translated to english.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
neilsouth said:
Being playing fate but another great game on the amiga was Ambermoon which was a sequel to amberstar. It was a huge game , with dungeons and fighting and many quests. Because of the amount of disc swapping involved i'd recommend installing the discs to the hard drive via workbench.

Hard Drive setup Guide here
http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http ... al_1/3.php
Very big thanks for the HD setup guide! Finally I installed the workbench onto the hard drive! It was so slow to boot the floppy! And using the WinUAE setup Fate is running much better!
:)

http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/amb ... edits.html
http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/amb ... edits.html
You can download from this link the game + Amberstar.

Wolfus

Arcane
Ah, Ambermoon... My all-time favourite game ever... There are some new fan-made patches, that repair flaws mainly in EN version and one major bug in both versions, when Gryban can not gain levels. Search English Amiga Board for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom