Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens RPG now "officially canceled."

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Anthony Davis said:
The game was most certainly NOT a grind fest. Experience was awarded for completing objectives and stealth was greatly encouraged.

Basic gameplay was your party was composed of 3 to 4 members. Party members could be from 1 of 4 different professions, marine, agent, engineer, and ugh...I forget the 4th at the moment .

In addition to stealth, party members could place traps for Aliens, such as turrets, mines, door bombs, and more. Doors could also be welded or cut to slow down Alien movement and create bottlenecks.

There was research, crafting, base defense and much more in the game and working.

ragej.jpg

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
So will it contain just as many pop-culture references and movie quotes as FO2? This is a big canon now, I hope Feargus and Co. didn't lost their touch and will keep the same level of quality in New Reno 2 or New Vegas or whatever the addon to a shooter with nerfed SPECIAL that is being made in 1 year is called.

I really wonder what your motivation is sometimes. Here we have one of the last few devs who take a second to answer questions he absolutely doesn't have to, and all you can do is continuously fling poo at him (and not even in a humorous way). Seriously what are you expecting to accomplish here? That he cracks down and admits to everything you say or on your mind do you feel you're doing everyone a big favor by warning them about the hazards of buying "shit" games from obsidian?

denizsi

Arcane
This super secret project; it's Wasteland, isn't it? Please, either give a straight no, or don't respond at all to this question. You have until infinity to <s>confirm</s> ignore/not respond.

edit: Uh, never mind. Once again, I mistook Feargus for Brian Fargo. You could still give straight no, though. Heh.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
denizsi said:
This super secret project; it's Wasteland, isn't it? Please, either give a straight no, or don't respond at all to this question. You have until infinity to <s>confirm</s> ignore/not respond.
I think Feargus said it was an original IP.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Marcelo21 said:
all you can do is continuously fling poo at him (and not even in a humorous way).
Like where? Ah you mean at first I've said that I disliked what they were doing to alien designs (and that's it) and then said that his boss is irresponsible guy and Obsidian will now churn out a yet again half-finished product and a "sequel/mod" again - except with Fallout name on it?
I can't see how I was continuously flinging poo at him. Especially personally.
Or care to show me where I did that?

Seriously what are you expecting to accomplish here? That he cracks down and admits to everything you say or on your mind do you feel you're doing everyone a big favor by warning them about the hazards of buying "shit" games from obsidian?
Or probably I just express my opinion in accordance to what I think about Fearghus, Obsidian and their less than stellar track record? Can't it be that simple?
Because every time when it comes to Beth or Bio there is a real poo flinging going on with actual insults behind their back, but when it comes to Obsidian even a different opinion is a tragedy over here.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
You've been on a crusade to expose obsidian as a bad developer ever since AP came up.
It's been months. We get it. You despise their existence and wish they'd go bankrupt, you think all their games are shit ("EXCEPT MOTB WHICH IS MEDIOCRE :!: ") and that they suck huge donkey balls. How about you just sig all those facts so you don't have to spam them across every thread where their name comes up just to prove that we are being fanboys?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Instead of making an Aliens game, I think they may have a good concept in trying to make a "biomechanoid" game.

To a play a pseudo-parasitic creature that develops and evolves features from all the animals it devours on would be a neat and fun direction, from growing a giant pre-hensile tail to maneuver in space or a quadrapedal formation for terrestrial speed, and son.

Nothing too fancy or gimmicky, like Spore or anything, but a basic and simple system for choosing and developing body parts. Giger's mad artwork is quite appropriate for it.

Rosh

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
Basic gameplay was your party was composed of 3 to 4 members. Party members could be from 1 of 4 different professions, marine, agent, engineer, and ugh...I forget the 4th at the moment .

Since the game was going to use stealth against xenomorphs, I'll just safely assume the 4th to be NINJA!

In addition to stealth, party members could place traps for Aliens, such as turrets, mines, door bombs, and more. Doors could also be welded or cut to slow down Alien movement and create bottlenecks.

Here is what cracks me up. Stealth against a xenomorph?! They were the masters of stealth. They didn't need to see, they didn't need to breathe, and they certainly didn't need Obsidian to be working on them either, even though that was your only title in development that didn't promise to totally suck BioWare's ass.

No matter how dark it was, they could easily smell out a human by tasting the air, which is somewhat represented in the AvP games. That is what led to some of the horror aspect of the setting being far different than the typical "I'll just hide in this room while the bad guy walks by" cliché, because getting out of their sight really wasn't a viable escape option - your fear would seep right through the door. It is also why Predator cloaking technology is fairly useless against them.

The scent wasn't always that clear, sometimes allowing someone to hide from them for a while, and why Ripley did so well against them. After a while, she wasn't really afraid, and the scent of fear is quite strong to a predator. In her case, it was more like a psychotic anger, which would theoretically mask her from those searching for the smell of fear. Or were you guys hoping for some product placement?

"Hey guys? Let's flood the entire base with Axe Deodorant so they can't smell us and we can hide!"

"Dude, I hate them as much as you do, but that's just fucking evil."

Could any of you please kill skyway dead? I'm getting sick of filtering posts just because skyway/metalcraze, humanity's biggest waste product, keeps spamming crap in threads that could be interesting. Developers should be encouraged to post here, not nerd raged upon from people who love nothing and contribute nothing.

Uh... venting time is over. Back to filtering.

butsomuch

Novice
CarnivalBizarre said:
Could any of you please kill skyway dead? I'm getting sick of filtering posts just because skyway/metalcraze, humanity's biggest waste product, keeps spamming crap in threads that could be interesting. Developers should be encouraged to post here, not nerd raged upon from people who love nothing and contribute nothing.
Ditto. We must collect money to hire an assassin who can kill a psychopath named skyway or metalcraze.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Rosh said:
Darth Roxor said:

Since the game was going to use stealth against xenomorphs, I'll just safely assume the 4th to be NINJA!

Here is what cracks me up. Stealth against a xenomorph?! They were the masters of stealth. They didn't need to see, they didn't need to breathe, and they certainly didn't need Obsidian to be working on them either, even though that was your only title in development that didn't promise to totally suck BioWare's ass.

I think I know what part of the problem is, I mean besides general belligerence. When I talk about these facets of the game, I use terms that mean something to me and the rest of the team, but mean something completely different to other people not on the project.

For example. stealth to other people means Thief, or some other game. Stealth for us meant scouting, avoidance and traps.

As for the rest of your comment, shrug.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
butsomuch said:
CarnivalBizarre said:
Ditto. We must collect money to hire an assassin who can kill a psychopath named skyway or metalcraze.
Sounds like a job for... LITHUANIAN HITMEN.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Marcelo21 said:
You've been on a crusade to expose obsidian as a bad developer ever since AP came up.
It's been months. We get it. You despise their existence and wish they'd go bankrupt, you think all their games are shit ("EXCEPT MOTB WHICH IS MEDIOCRE :!: ") and that they suck huge donkey balls. How about you just sig all those facts so you don't have to spam them across every thread where their name comes up just to prove that we are being fanboys?
This is actually what I've said about double-standards. You obviously don't have that problem with people who bash Beth and Bio while constantly going "Obsidian is teh awsum!", AP is a new Deus Ex, etc. for months too. But this is how it goes on the Codex.

Also stop putting words in my mouth - I don't enjoy mediocre games just fyi. I won't comment on the other bullshit that I didn't say.

butsomuch said:
CarnivalBizarre said:

I feel your pain.

BearBomber

Scholar
butsomuch said:
CarnivalBizarre said:

But what will you do if he kills the new skyway not the old one?

Roofles!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Note that I never derailed this thread but people who go "kill skyway, burn him down!!" while not making a single post related to the topic.

In fact I'd rather wanted people to continue discussing this topic, just not me.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
FeelTheRads said:

The general work ethic at Obsidian?

I definitely would not say that, but I understand you are just being flippant and that's cool.

The Aliens team worked their tails off and then some. Disagree all you want about design decisions and other issues, but it is dishonest and ignorant to imply that the Aliens team was lazy.

Mistakes were made, of course, that is part of the price of developing new technology and just being human, but Josh led that team by example, working hard and pouring a lot time and heart into that game and so did everyone else working on it. I am thankful for the hard work they put into Aliens, they really paved the way for us on our current project.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
I definitely would not say that, but I understand you are just being flippant and that's cool.

Flippant, but partly an honest question too.

Admittedly, so far I have only played the NWN2 OC and about half of MotB from Obsidian's games and it simply looks like that's how it goes there: hey I thought it would be cool I remove the player's companions at a certain moment for no reason at all, what do you think? *shrug* whatever... Hey, I thought it would be awesome if we had a dumb NPC who would speak in 3rd person and when asked why he does it to say he doesn't know what you're talking about! *shrug* fine... Hey, I thought it would be super awesome and funny if we added ANOTHER character which does the same thing in MotB too because I don't think the players got the joke the first time! Oh, yeah, awesome!!!!!!!11 *shrug*

And so on...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
FeelTheRads said:
Anthony Davis said:

Flippant, but partly an honest question too.

Admittedly, so far I have only played the NWN2 OC and about half of MotB from Obsidian's games and it simply looks like that's how it goes there: hey I thought it would be cool I remove the player's companions at a certain moment for no reason at all, what do you think? *shrug* whatever... Hey, I thought it would be awesome if we had a dumb NPC who would speak in 3rd person and when asked why he does it to say he doesn't know what you're talking about! *shrug* fine... Hey, I thought it would be super awesome and funny if we added ANOTHER character which does the same thing in MotB too? Oh, yeah, awesome!!!!!!!11 *shrug*

And so on...

I really wish I could sleep tonight...

NWN2 OC is another story altogether, and once again, laziness was not the problem.

NWN2 OC had several problems, many of which were solved when Josh Sawyer Chris Avellone took over the project - which is the nicest and most professional way I can phrase it.

We all worked very hard on NWN2: OC, especially once we found our direction. Unfortunately sometimes you can't go back and you have to live with certain choices that have already been made and implemented. Especially when you are talking about Voice Actors who record their lines far in advance, and tons and tons of scripting and programming for the INCREDIBLE number of cutscenes in that game and other gameplay elements.

Notice that REQUIRED companions were not in MotB and SoZ? (note: I think the red mage chick in MotB might have been required for just the first level/tutorial level, after that you could do what you want)
Notice that there were far fewer cutscenes in those games too?

Anyway, that is about all I really want to say about that. You will have to infer the rest from other posts made by other Obsidian devs.

Rosh

Erudite
Anthony Davis said:
I think I know what part of the problem is, I mean besides general belligerence. When I talk about these facets of the game, I use terms that mean something to me and the rest of the team, but mean something completely different to other people not on the project.

/facepalm

Really, if the internal communication is as poor as you represent, that explains a lot.

For example. stealth to other people means Thief, or some other game. Stealth for us meant scouting, avoidance and traps.

Those are "reconnaissance" and "deterrence", not "stealth".

Merriam-Webster said:
stealth
Pronunciation:
\ˈstelth\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English stelthe; akin to Old English stelan to steal
Date:
13th century

1 archaic : theft obsolete : something stolen
2: the act or action of proceeding furtively, secretly, or imperceptibly <the>
3: the state of being furtive or unobtrusive
4: an aircraft-design characteristic consisting of oblique angular construction and avoidance of vertical surfaces that is intended to produce a very weak radar return

Or did you happen to mean the kind of stealth where rainbows shoot from your ass?

And that is probably why this title was deservingly shitcanned after your team's inability to accurately describe game mechanics pissed someone off who held the license quality controls.

Obsidianate: "...and so the player uses stealth against the xenos -"

IP Control Exec: *spews coffee across the meeting table* "STEALTH?! Did none of you fuckers ever watch the movies?!"

Dele

Liturgist
asd

After the retarded human-alien in Alien resurrection i don't give a shit what kind of aliens anyone would think of doing.

AVP 2 had all kinds of weird-ass aliens, including predaliens and whatnot.

I was looking forward to this game, sad to see it canceled.

Other than that it's amusing to see codex bashing the only game company which makes somewhat decent 'aaa' rpg titles nowadays(hopefully they've learned from nwn2 engine by now) but i suppose there isn't anythign codex doesn't bash.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Look at all those pathetic fuckers in this thread that wish for Obsidian's death, yet want to see leaked screens/footage of an canceled game that "would have been shit anyways". Even more pathetic that these same fuckers will rush out and buy Alpha Protocol at release day.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Volourn said:
Look at all those pathetic fuckers in this thread that wish for BioWare's death, yet want to see leaked screens/footage of an canceled game that "would have been shit anyways". Even more pathetic that these same fuckers will rush out and buy Dragon Age at release day.

R00fles!
Fixed.

Rosh

Erudite
Morgoth said:
Look at all those pathetic fuckers in this thread that wish for Obsidian's death, yet want to see leaked screens/footage of an canceled game that "would have been shit anyways". Even more pathetic that these same fuckers will rush out and buy Alpha Protocol at release day.

Awww, isn't that cute. The little fanboy trolls come in to play. Sorry, kid, haven't wasted my money on an Obsidian game since KoTOR2, as I got disgusted that I essentially payed full price for a cheap, unfinished knock-off of the original. I have no plans on buying the budget version of Ass Effect, thank you.

Borrow a copy like I have of other Obsidian games, yes, but I'll never throw my money away on a half-finished game from them ever again. Not even for Fallout: New Undermountain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom