Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/05/winter-is-running-aliens-colonial-marines/#more-102673

I don't know. They certainly nailed the looks of it, but where's the much touted horror element? This just looks like another scripted, action-heavy bug hunt.

And those Aliens are just like in the recent AvP too slow and dumb. I think this game is gonna suck. Gearbox, you cannot into master FPS design a 'la Valve.

^ Top  
  2. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    The trailer from several months ago already indicated that it was to be a rather bland dudebro shooter. I agree that the visuals seem pretty faithful though. Also massive :incline: with a vocal FPS protagonist.

edit: iron sights ololol

edit2: did the marine just stun an alien with his pistol butt? :lol:

^ Top  
  3. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    Looks like CoD with aliens. Predictable. They're taking the easy route for a money grab here.
    Also, hooray for QTE cinemati ackshun sequences. Can't get enough of those.

edit: is it me, or the whole aliens have acid blod that freaking hurts thing was dropped entirely? That or they're showing trailers of playing on god mode again.

^ Top  
  4. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    Whatever, the guy that played the segment must have been playing it on console and/or be a retard. This whole thing has no intensity. And scripted events completely and utterly destroy the mood when designers implement it wrong. Monolith got it right with FEAR 1, but Gearbox just doesn't get it.

^ Top  
  5. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    Generic spess mahreen fragging aliens with a pistol like it was shooting fish in a barrel. I'd call it :decline:, but this is Gearbox we are talking about, so it's kind of expected to be shit. They are incapable of making good games.

^ Top  
  6. CorpseZeb Learned

CorpseZeb
    Parrots:
    Well, some of their games which names starting on the letter "B" are more than OK - Blue Shift or Borderlands. But yes, if the alien is slow and fluffy, then there is no alien at all.

^ Top  
  7. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    Borderlands was total shit. Never played something boring as that. Even Hellgate: London was an exciting masterpiece compared to Boringlands.

BoA: Hell's Highway. Okay-ish scripted cover-shooter with sorty tiny maps. Overall, well executed, but totally forgetable.

Blue Shift. Bleh.

DNF. A friggin' nightmare.

Opposing Force. A Masterpiece, and the only excellent game GB ever created.

What else have they made?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    Parrots:
    I don't get the point of squad-based corridor shooters. Why would you want to have someone else kill stuff for you? There's no suspense or intensity to be found on those videos, it just looks slow and boring.

AvP2 was linear and scripted as fuck too but it still made you jump out of your chair many times when those fuckers dropped down from the ceiling or came through the walls or made your life miserable in some other way. They almost always came from behind you or above you and it was hard to avoid serious acid burns even with the motion sensor. I guess console controllers just are pretty much worthless when it comes to that kind of action, so now all the xenomorphs are right there in front of you waiting to be shot one at a time.

^ Top  
  9. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    Meh, as long as it's fun. Since the cancellation of the Aliens RPG by Obsidian, I'm done expecting anything of quality from the Alien franchise, video game or otherwise, but it could be entertaining.

^ Top  
  10. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    Creative Assembly has an Alien (! - not Aliens) game in development too, though. Maybe that one turns out to be good.

^ Top  
  11. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Is this that thing that Anthony Davis is working on ?

^ Top  
  12. CorpseZeb Learned

CorpseZeb
    Parrots:
    Now, come on... Hellgate...?! Borderland is co-op-funny, at least. And what is wrong with Blue Shift? Personal taste, I presume. Anyway, they made some HL strange console ports (like "Decay") and - of course - yes - that... thing... "DNF". After that, I'm afraid of any new game from them.

^ Top  
  13. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Aliens: Infestation is a relatively recent cool DS game, Metroid-style gameplay and semi-permadeath mechanics. Quite fun, the only fatal flaw it has is the very short duration.

^ Top  
  14. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Parrots:
    It's a console shitter bros, what did you expect?

^ Top  
  15. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman Professional Doorstop Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I'll WATCH this on YouTube sometime after it's been released, but NO WAY am I forking over money for this.

Also, Derp with Aliens showing up on Smartgun HUD when they shouldn't. Don't show up on Infrared and stuff...

^ Top  
  16. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    i'll watch a Let's Play on youtube later too.

^ Top  
  17. Sul Savant

Sul
    Parrots:
    God that FoV. I feel like I'm seeing the world through a straw.
    Why they do that? You can't even see the pulse rifle counter!

^ Top  
  18. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    At least the aliens in the mp video are fast and furious. Everything else looks lame.

And were are the aliens that get limbs shot off and still keep on crawling towards the player?

^ Top  
  19. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Parrots:
    Just looked it up and it looks nice. Thanks for the tip!

Anyway it could be fun to get it when it's discounted for the co-op.

^ Top  
  20. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    If the game bombs, it will drop in price rather quickly.

^ Top  
  21. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Parrots:
    This looks great, nice atmosphere and all that, but damn is it slow as hell (and not just the movement speed, the action itself). I imagine playing it would be exciting in a survival horror kind of way, except for the fact that the aliens themselves seem to be easy to gun down by the bucketload. Oh well, there goes any tension and suspense the game could have otherwise had.

^ Top  
  22. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    The should have dropped this instead of the Aliens RPG.

BURN IN HELL SEGA! BURN!

^ Top  
  23. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Parrots:
    I guess the FPS is more likely to sell more than the RPG, so that must have been the logical choice.

^ Top  
  24. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    Parrots:
    LOL I liked how at the beginning it looks like that bridge is breaking apart, but he keeps walking.

Anyway, it looks incredibly underwhelming. The fights with the Aliens almost looks like a railroad shooter like House of the Dead. It's like the player just stops and shoots at anything on screen without having to move.

EDIT: At around 3:40 did he not just shoot the legs of another marine? :lol:

^ Top  
  25. MapMan Arcane

MapMan
    Parrots:
    Looks lame as fuck, not that I expected anything else. The only thing Gearbox made that I liked was OPFOR. Everything else, including blue shift, sucks donkey balls. I want this game and boringlangs 2 to be gigantic flops so they can finally go bankrupt.

PS: In any FPS game, control should never be taken away from the player. Never.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)