Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I just re-watched Alien myself recently. It really is a spectacularly well-done movie. It's shot beautifully, the acting is good, the FX are great, and the score is wonderfully atmospheric and creepy.

My biggest complaint is that they never explain how the xenomorph managed to go from being 12 inches long to being 12 feet long in a matter of hours.

Ridley waited 30+ years for the right person to come along and reveal that mystery.

damon_lindelof_horizontal.jpg

I don't get it.

Damon Lindelof

Ohh ... still don't get it :)

Edit. I'm no fan of Lost.

Damon (allegedly, according to some fans) fucked up Prometheus, although I personally think Prometheus' messy story is entirely Ridley Scott's fault and Damon was just a pawn (Ridley came up with the Space Jesus idea).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I just re-watched Alien myself recently. It really is a spectacularly well-done movie. It's shot beautifully, the acting is good, the FX are great, and the score is wonderfully atmospheric and creepy.

My biggest complaint is that they never explain how the xenomorph managed to go from being 12 inches long to being 12 feet long in a matter of hours.

Ridley waited 30+ years for the right person to come along and reveal that mystery.

damon_lindelof_horizontal.jpg

I don't get it.

Damon Lindelof

Ohh ... still don't get it :)

Edit. I'm no fan of Lost.

Damon (allegedly, according to some fans) fucked up Prometheus, although I personally think Prometheus' messy story is entirely Ridley Scott's fault and Damon was just a pawn (Ridley came up with the Space Jesus idea).

Now a report says Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox are “freaking out” trying to figure out how to continue the franchise. They’re reportedly ”taking pitches from basically anyone who can crack the story,” and blame for the problems is placed squarely on the shoulders of screenwriter Damon Lindelof. The report says Lindelof came on board, altered Jon Spaihts‘ original script from a one-shot to a trilogy and then abandoned the franchise to work on Star Trek Into Darkness and Tomorrowland.

It seems he had free hands to fuck it up.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Now a report says Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox are “freaking out” trying to figure out how to continue the franchise. They’re reportedly ”taking pitches from basically anyone who can crack the story,” and blame for the problems is placed squarely on the shoulders of screenwriter Damon Lindelof. The report says Lindelof came on board, altered Jon Spaihts‘ original script from a one-shot to a trilogy and then abandoned the franchise to work on Star Trek Into Darkness and Tomorrowland.

It seems he had free hands to fuck it up.

Ridley Scott throwing his pawn under the bus. How about respecting Jon Spaihts and not seeking out Lindelof to mess up the original script in the first place?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
IIRC the studio executives were the ones who wanted to bring in a 'big name' screenplay writer to the project (due to his work on Lost). It was gonna happen whether Ridley liked it or not, and it's their fault that they hired the guy based solely on his name and not realizing how big a mistake it was to bring him on (due to his work on Lost).

Gregz

Arcane
It's doubtful that someone with Ridley Scott's clout could be forced to use a writer without any say on the matter.

Sounds like scapegoating to me.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Reading further into it, it does come off as being everyone's fault, and everyone diving to try and pin the blame on Lineldof. By the looks of things they basically hired him solely on his promise that he could make the film more set apart from the Aliens franchise, and instead made it this big confusing mess of people acting like morons and vague promises of maybe being related to Aliens, which is one of the primary reasons why alot of people wanted to see the damn thing in the first place.

Really, the whole of the post-production chaos of this film could make an interesting documentary in of itself, if it weren't for those pesky confidentiality agreements.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Reading further into it, it does come off as being everyone's fault, and everyone diving to try and pin the blame on Lineldof. By the looks of things they basically hired him solely on his promise that he could make the film more set apart from the Aliens franchise, and instead made it this big confusing mess of people acting like morons and vague promises of maybe being related to Aliens, which is one of the primary reasons why alot of people wanted to see the damn thing in the first place.

The film is not confusing at all if supplemented with some background lore from At the Mountains of Madness.

Expedition team finds ancient city alien pyramid; human wakes up Old Ones a Space Engineer; human learns that Old Ones Engineers created man for no particular reason other than derping around "we made you because we could"; Old Ones Engineer kills humans; the ruckus wakes up a Shoggoth black-goo-turned-into-alien-sperm-octupus-vagina-whatever-it-is; Shoggoth octupus kills Old Ones the Engineer. The end.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Prometheus was utterly retarded. They're gonna start shooting the sequel(s) this Fall with a launch date of March 2016.

I'm not sure what Ridley was thinking about greenlighting such a retarded script. I'd rather liked him handing over the franchise to someone else and focus on the Blade Runner sequel entirely.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I wouldn't mind a Blade Runner remake... or to be more precise, a film that's more closely based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and distances itself as far away from Scott's Blade Runner as possible.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's doubtful that someone with Ridley Scott's clout could be forced to use a writer without any say on the matter.

There was no coercion involved. Scott is a visual director (and possibly also an actor director), and that's all he seems to care about. Simply put, he just doesn't seem to understand writing and generally doesn't get too involved in that part of film making. He simply delegates the job to somebody else and he is good to go, whatever the results, and i think this is his biggest flaw. Indeed, the only reason his earlier films were better is that he had better writers at his disposal. But even back then some of his films turned out to be crap when the writer didn't know what the fuck he was doing. Like in Legend, where the script was an incoherent mess but the visuals were still spectacular, so that you had extreme care in one aspect of the film but complete carelessness in the other, which seems an inexplicable contradiction until one realizes that the carelessness was there from the beginning.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
You don't even need to look that far back; The Counselor was just released last year and was so bad that it was the first movie I've wanted to walk out on since 2006. It was simply shocking how bad the writing was, especially since the screenplay was written by Cormac McCarthy, whom I can only assume was simply unused to adapting his style of writing onto a visual medium.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

There was no coercion involved. Scott is a visual director (and possibly also an actor director), and that's all he seems to care about. Simply put, he just doesn't seem to understand writing and generally doesn't get too involved in that part of film making. He simply delegates the job to somebody else and he is good to go, whatever the results, and i think this is his biggest flaw. Indeed, the only reason his earlier films were better is that he had better writers at his disposal. But even back then some of his films turned out to be crap when the writer didn't know what the fuck he was doing. Like in Legend, where the script was an incoherent mess but the visuals were still spectacular, so that you had extreme care in one aspect of the film but complete carelessness in the other, which seems an inexplicable contradiction until one realizes that the carelessness was there from the beginning.

Exactly. Also sometimes Ridley's incompetency in story and writing miraculously resulted in a strange masterpiece, like Alien and Blade Runner.

Especially Blade Runner, whose best line "tears in the rain" was just the actor improvising on the spot.

Nael

Arcane
Prometheus was like a big budget art college project done by someone who had just read HP Lovecraft for the first time as an adult.

Alien is the only movie in the whole franchise that was worth a shit IMO. Aliens was ok as an 80s shoot-em-up flick but had almost nothing in common with the original material insofar as the tone and atmosphere of the original.

I think this Alien: Isolation game looks to be about the best follow up to the original movie. At least I hope it is. But I'm not one to put much faith in hope.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Prometheus was like a big budget art college project done by someone who had just read HP Lovecraft for the first time as an adult.

Alien is the only movie in the whole franchise that was worth a shit IMO. Aliens was ok as an 80s shoot-em-up flick but had almost nothing in common with the original material insofar as the tone and atmosphere of the original.

I think this Alien: Isolation game looks to be about the best follow up to the original movie. At least I hope it is. But I'm not one to put much faith in hope.

David Fincher's Alien was my favorite and still is.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron

:nocountryforshitposters:

Nael

Arcane

Eurotrash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom