Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Lockkaliber, May 7, 2010.

1. Matt7895 Magister Patron

Matt7895
    Codex 2014 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    I really liked Alan Wake. The story isn't that great but the setting and the gameplay worked really well. It is quite tense in parts, especially when you're in the woods (which, to be honest, is most of the game). Don't get the whining about controls, it basically handles like any other consolised third-person action game, and the torch and gun tend to lock on to the nearest enemy so there's no fucking about trying to aim with the thumbsticks.
    ^ Top  
  2. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    I couldn't get over the awful facial animation in some of the videos I watched. It looked like some idtech 3 shit.
    ^ Top  
  3. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    A victim of lengthy development time. They improved it with the DLC, or so I'm told.
    ^ Top  
  4. Phage Liturgist

Phage
    More or less a genre slapped onto every "scary" game out there. Isn't really a genre, kind of hard to explain.

I'll be fair though, Alan Wake is better than most shit in that genre, like Fatal Frame.
    ^ Top  
  5. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I finally had a chance to grab the two DLC chapters aaaaand...they sucked. There was no story progression whatsoever - it was essentially filler that ended up in exactly the same place as the original ending, which saddens me since there'll likely be no sequel. There were also a lot of frustrating gauntlet-esque sequences where it was clear what the developers wanted you to do, but just didn't work. I preferred the emphasis on conserving flares/bangs in the original to gimmicky environmental aids. The Signal was particularly bad, but I did enjoy the final battle in The Writer - probably because I love fighting those super-fast Taken (EVERYONE should've been like that). If you like dying and re-trying until you figure out the trick to a particular fight then you might get a fair bit out of the DLC, otherwise just watch an LP or something. Oh well, back to jerking it to the CE "Making Of" book.
    ^ Top  
  6. Vibalist Augur

Vibalist
    there's an alan wake 2 in the making. im pretty sure of that.
    ^ Top  
  7. curry Prophet

curry
    it has already been officially announced
    ^ Top  
  8. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Huh, where? All I heard about was an XBLA sidequel.
    ^ Top  
  9. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    ^ Top  
  10. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    lol, its become a supernatural console shooter.

i remember the earlier build from 2009 promised to be a thinking man's game, but alas.
    ^ Top  
  11. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    ^ Top  
  12. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I have zero interest in re-purchasing AW on the PC, and if the spin-off is as shitty as I expect it to be then I'll just get it on XBLA.
    ^ Top  
  13. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    ^ Top  
  14. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I'm totally at a loss as to why they'd be making a PC port at such a late stage. It's not like the game was wildly successful on the xbawks (it did alright, IIRC, especially considering the utterly shitty job microsoft did at marketing it).

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12 ... more-85982

:lol:

:roll:

:smug:
    ^ Top  
  15. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Maybe the fact that it didn't sell that well was a factor and they are looking to make a quick buck by porting it to the PC
    ^ Top  
  16. Toffeli Prophet Patron

Toffeli
    Wasteland 2
    I stopped caring when it turned from a Twin Peaks sandbox (of sort) to a linear shooter.
    ^ Top  
  17. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    ^ Top  
  18. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I got bored waiting for my desktop, and purchased Amerikwan Nightmare. As predicted, it has virtually nothing of the atmosphere or writing of Alan Wake. Played for a couple of hours and reached what I thought was a very early finish, at which point the shitty BACK IN TIME trick is pulled and you have to start the previous three levels all over again, with minor changes. According to wiki I'll have to do this twice :lol:

General gameplay is identical to Alan Wake, with less downtime for cutscenes and dialogue, and what little survival elements there were in AW stripped out entirely - respawning ammo cabinets max your batteries and bullets every couple of fights. There are a few new enemies and weapons, though with the exception of a ranged grenadier they don't really change the way you approach combat. Quasi-boss fights are unremarkable - nothing on the scale of the Concert or 2nd DLC finale in AW. Now whilst - unlike the DLC - the story is a progression the overall narrative of the series (albeit with an ambiguous LOL ITZ A DREAM ending), it doesn't really feel like anything consequential is going on - I doubt AW2 will refer back to these events at all. Essentially it was like going through the shitty DLC again, but less frustrating.

Overall I'd class it as a passably mediocre TPS, not really worth the £10 worth of microsoft points.
    ^ Top  
  19. shihonage You see: shelter.

shihonage
    Alan Wake's linearity is likely result of its DLC/"chapter" nature.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)