Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Al Lowe's Leisure Suit Larry Remake -- Out Now

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I was mostly referring to the people wanting to pay Al Lowe to say good stuff about their game.

But yeah, that too.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So Sierra were fucked over and it wasn't their fault? That makes it all the sadder...at least if they had gone down from their own bad decisions or market changes like so many others...

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
I always admired the Williams for seeing ahead and selling their share of the company just before the shit hit the ventilator. They collect yachts and will live the rest of their days travelling the world carefree now.

I have to admit that we could be getting good games now if they had ended up broke.

They didn't. Shit already hit the fan at that time. They were booted and mobbed out of their own company. Several of their titles of the late 90's were a result of that. KQ8 ended up quite differently how Roberta originally envisioned it as the other exces just threw in stuff they wanted to do and gave a rats ass about her.

I think the whole thing is also frequently mentioned as to why they retired from gaming and refuse to come back. Building up your own successfull company and then having it taken away by shitheads does that to you.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The project changed development teams.

The guys who did the concept art that was featured on the Kickstarter, are no longer working on the game.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/15/l...isher-trades-up-to-a-new-developer-exclusive/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leisuresuitlarry/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again/posts/268369

Let's hope a fairly good game still emerges out of all this. I understand why people get skeptical about Kickstarter after such shenanigans.

edit: Holy shit, one of the comments on Kickstarter:

Sorry Al, I love your games. I really do. I have very fond memories of playing all of the Leisure Suit Larry games way back to the 80's. However, regretfully, I feel that you have done a deal with the devil by singing with this Paul Trowe character. The guy is extremely toxic and goes against everything the Sierra games and their legacy ever stood for.
Paul Trowe has a shocking track record of behavior on just this Kickstarter project alone; ranging from lying about you (Al Lowe) being involved with threatening legal action against Sam Suede, to trolling the comments section of other Kickstarter projects (like SpaceVenture by the 2 Guys) under the fake names "GameSpyGeek" and "ZirconJimLaffer83" (I bet there are others), using inflammatory and highly childish vitriol in his exclusive updates ("trades up"), impersonating Josh Mandel (and probably you too), Trying to misdirect the 2 Guys from licensing Space Quest, calling his own Kickstarter backers (who gave him over $600K, no less) 'dictators and jackasses on Twitter. And the list just goes on and on...
This creep might think he's real clever using "Guerrilla Marketing" to draw attention to himself and the Larry franchise, but as most of the community can now see, he is really damaging it, and damaging the good names of Josh Mandel and Al Lowe in the process. Absolutely NOTHING Adventure Mob said about you guys could begin to compare to the damage Trowe is doing to your collective reputations. And I say that almost apologetically.
Paul Trowe is obviously out of his league here. The guy is certainly not CEO material, and he has no other game design talents to speak of! It's obvious the only things he's bringing to the table are all bad and negative. Honestly, Trowe seems like dead weight to this project, which would do just fine - even better - without him being involved at all.
The community has seen this guy for who he is, it stinks, and they don't like it! Now they are speaking out for valid reasons. Please don't try to defend the indefensible. I find it so sad that Al and Josh got conned into dealing with someone who exhibits all the traits of a sociopath. I really wish the Larry game was coming out in a more positive light.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the whole thing is also frequently mentioned as to why they retired from gaming and refuse to come back. Building up your own successfull company and then having it taken away by shitheads does that to you.
why do you hate capitalism?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Speaking of Sierra's demise, I have been playing Gabriel Knight 3, which was their last adventure game, and I'm quite sure you can blame it in itself for the demise of adventure games and the company. I do understand that there was already difficulties at Sierra, but GK3 is both marvellous and horrible. It is the climax of a gameplay system that simply couldn't go on.

How to rent a bike in Gabriel Knight 3:
-Steal some guy's passport, draw a fake moustache on his passport, steal his jacket, find a cat, stick duct tape next to a door, chase cat to door, get cat hair from door, glue cat hair to your face using MARPLE SYRUP. And voila, you are disguised as the renter of a bike, one that doesn't have a moustache, but hey, you drew a fake moustache on his passport !

How to open a stuck window in Gabriel Knight 3:
-Go to your apartment, open your own window, climb on the roof, intrude on your neighbour's appartment through the window, go to the bathroom, steal cream for hemorroid (no shit), leave the appartment, go to stuck window, use hemorroid cream on stuck window.

And most of the plot is not making sense either. At one point you see some suspicious guys going to some place, but the main character won't care at all before he solves an entirely convoluted and not making any sense puzzle by drawing hexagrams, circles, triangles on a map which leads to... oh , that suspsicous place where suspicious characters ! Better check that out ! You control also two characters which refuse to interact with each others, sometimes not mentioning trival things like a vampire attack that happened in the middle of the night.

Fuck this shit. Adventure games of that era died for a reason.They are now being ressurected in a much saner form.

I do not deny the heritage of the Sierra era. It is great, I consider them classic. The story in GK3 is, albeit flawed, a masterpiece. But the gameplay elements was just trying to one-up each other games in ridiculousness and complexity. At some point, the bubble burst and gamers couldn't stand it anymore. It is not the ONLY reason, of course. 3D acceleration and Quake happened. But between GK3 and that scene in KQ8 early in the game when you get to kill a monster shitting down a toilet, what happened is no wonder. They failed to attract new gamers and disgusted old gamers. Sadly, there was no more room in the industry for Ken, Roberta, Jane Jensen, Al Lowe, The Two Guys for a long time.

Redlands

Arcane
Speaking of Sierra's demise, I have been playing Gabriel Knight 3, which was their last adventure game, and I'm quite sure you can blame it in itself for the demise of adventure games and the company. I do understand that there was already difficulties at Sierra, but GK3 is both marvellous and horrible. It is the climax of a gameplay system that simply couldn't go on.

How to rent a bike in Gabriel Knight 3:
-Steal some guy's passport, draw a fake moustache on his passport, steal his jacket, find a cat, stick duct tape next to a door, chase cat to door, get cat hair from door, glue cat hair to your face using MARPLE SYRUP. And voila, you are disguised as the renter of a bike, one that doesn't have a moustache, but hey, you drew a fake moustache on his passport !

How to open a stuck window in Gabriel Knight 3:
-Go to your apartment, open your own window, climb on the roof, intrude on your neighbour's appartment through the window, go to the bathroom, steal cream for hemorroid (no shit), leave the appartment, go to stuck window, use hemorroid cream on stuck window.

And most of the plot is not making sense either. At one point you see some suspicious guys going to some place, but the main character won't care at all before he solves an entirely convoluted and not making any sense puzzle by drawing hexagrams, circles, triangles on a map which leads to... oh , that suspsicous place where suspicious characters ! Better check that out ! You control also two characters which refuse to interact with each others, sometimes not mentioning trival things like a vampire attack that happened in the middle of the night.

Fuck this shit. Adventure games of that era died for a reason.They are now being ressurected in a much saner form.

I do not deny the heritage of the Sierra era. It is great, I consider them classic. The story in GK3 is, albeit flawed, a masterpiece. But the gameplay elements was just trying to one-up each other games in ridiculousness and complexity. At some point, the bubble burst and gamers couldn't stand it anymore. It is not the ONLY reason, of course. 3D acceleration and Quake happened. But between GK3 and that scene in KQ8 early in the game when you get to kill a monster shitting down a toilet, what happened is no wonder. They failed to attract new gamers and disgusted old gamers. Sadly, there was no more room in the industry for Ken, Roberta, Jane Jensen, Al Lowe, The Two Guys for a long time.

I'm going to completely disagree with you on this.

Yeah, GK3 sucks and has stupid puzzles in it. KQ8 sucks as well. However, if it was so shitty, then why was the first so good? That has arbitrariness in it as well; pretty much every adventure game does. In fact, why were there any decent adventure games at all? And then why is there a resurgence of games now, which also include some crazy-ass arbitrary puzzles?

Trust me: go get WinFrotz or something similar and try to play Nord and Bert. By your argument that game should have killed off adventure games in their infancy.

The big problem for Sierra was that, while it was the same crew behind the designs, before it got to us the money men got involved after Ken sold the company (which he had to, I believe, because it was publicly listed and so obligated to by law). The ones that didn't know how to make games. Stuff that they'd have usually been able to get away with got kiboshed to get the games out ASAP to get money. Given that, and the general atmosphere at Sierra at the time (which, by most accounts was not good) means you're not going to get the best out of your people.

GK3 did not kill the adventure game, any more than Myst or any game did. They were murdered because LucasArts gave up on them and Sierra was driven over a cliff by mismanagement, and nobody else was "big name" enough to "save" the genre. That, and FPSes were easier to make in 3D engines to wow idiots into paying them; and there's a lot of idiots willing to do so.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
That GK3 criticism is somewhat nitpicky. GK1 and GK2 also had mad arbitrary puzzles. In fact, you can say that type of puzzle is a hallmark of classic adventures.

I think it was vastly inferior to the first two games because of the plot. Don't get me wrong, character development and pacing were great as usual(Jane Jensen did write it) and I enjoyed the game, but the Dan Brown esque conpiracy theories were too much of a shift from the content of the series. By the end of the game the Schattenjäger is no longer a supernatural investigator tasked with fighting evil, he is something else quite differently.

That is why I fear an eventual GK4 might suck. There was too much shit thrown in the ventilator by the end of GK3 and that will have to be carried over. Jesus descendant living in Scotland, a secret society that spawns the globe, Grace fleeing to India, Mosely turned into a spy, Schattenjägers as descendants of Longinus... shit, I wish things were kept simple and unassuming as in the first 2 games. In comparison GK3 was quite the decline.

Is it me or has Paul Trowe's public role been incredibly minimized since all that bullshit a few months ago? Josh handles all the updates, and you barely (if ever) see him comment on the game or what's current. Anyone else confirm this?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is it me or has Paul Trowe's public role been incredibly minimized since all that bullshit a few months ago? Josh handles all the updates, and you barely (if ever) see him comment on the game or what's current. Anyone else confirm this?
Well, yeah, every time he opens his mouth he comes across as a jackass, so it's probably a good PR strategy to keep him out of the spotlight, and doing whatever else it is he does.

I was hoping he was out right fired; it would have served him right for the shit he pulled. Unprofessionalism has broken new boundaries care of one Paul Trowe.

Luzur

Good Sir

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ignored taxalot for daring to compare Al Lowe to Gabe Newell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom