Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 3

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's called resource allocation, retard.

But yeah, you probably still believe game development is magical process where everybody works just for the chance of riding the rainbow and if they don't do a good job is because they hate rainbows. After all, you also think money for games comes from the good witches in the magic kingdom.

Then again so do you, but it gives you KKKs pretending otherwise.

Listen to the famous internet phsychologist MetalCraze, he known what you think.

Better check your head, bro. You're a moron.

Tomipapa

Educated
Did they say already how hero levelling is gonna work? Hated how it worked in AOW2, bloody popamole three choices rather than full-on RPG-style hero levelling.

Unfortunately we know nothing. There was only one post about it on the something awful forum by one of the devs(Gerblyn), but it was half years ago so it might be outdated.

Splicer posted:
How will leveling work? Same as SM, where you choose from one of 3 randomly offered?

Gerblyn:I think the current plan is more AoW 1, where you get points to buy upgrades. That’s not final though.

I also hated the AoW 2/SM leveling system, so i hope the plan is still the AoW 1 way.

Tomipapa

Educated
AoW3_ExplorationSites_GoldenZiggurat_overlay.jpg

AoW3_ExplorationSites_ManaNode_overlay.jpg

AoW3_ExplorationSites_MonstersDen_overlay.jpg

catfood

AGAIN
Wait, the battles take place OUTSIDE the points of interest? WTF, what happened to the ye olde dungeon delving from AOW1?

Suicidal

Arcane
It's been gone since AoW 1, sadly. I really liked that aspect of it.

Tomipapa

Educated
Info about how many "racial" units we will have

"Each race has 7 units (not counting settlers, etc). Although they fit within certain categories and do not include monsters not belonging to the population (you get these through spells, class upgrades and dwellings), we feel there’s good variety between them and there might actually be more pure racial units than the previous games:

1) Irregular – vary from Draconian hatchlings to human civic guards and dwarf miners. Usually skirmisher types. Others have a particular trick.
2) Infantry – melee focussed units. Some carry shields which give block others carry greatswords which have the overwhelm ability.
3) Ranged – vary between archers, crossbowmen, draconian flame blolters, goblins shooting homing mosquito darts
4) Polearm – from phalanx type units to swiss guard type halbardiers.
5) Cavalry – mounts very per race. Raptors, boars, unicorns.
6) Support – priest types, generally having some special buff and/or attack per race. Goblin Plague Doctors. Dwarf Rune Priests, etc.
7) Special – the pinnacle for each race. Goblin beetle riders. Orc Blackguards, Dwarf first born.

Races have a terrain likes and dislikes affecting morale and city econmics.

Each class generally has re-searchable skills that upgrade a selection of racial units. Example: Theocrat adding templar like abilities to certain military units and buffs support units. This ensure class and race intertwine."

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
So every race gets the same just reskinned units. Oh joy.

AoW:SM had the same kind of partial symmetry where each race had a basic melee troop, a gimmicky irregular, an archer, a cavalry, a priest, etc. but they weren't reskins, they had noticeable differences in stats and abilities

MetalCraze

Arcane
Global map surely looks pretty
Tactical maps need work

Hopefully there's more to it than good looks and it's not just a reskin/rehash

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I have not been following the development on a regular basis, so i'm actually pleasantly surprised about the amount of mechanics they seem to have kept intact. It may be a minor thing but what i'm missing (at least so it seems) is the list of skills and traits of units on the tactical map. Speaking of the tactical map.. still don't like it much. It does indeed look a bit like AoW2 in another engine, with a few tactical additions, which is good. This footage keeps me pretty much neutral towards the game. Not that eager to play it, since i'm still enjoying AoW2, but might pick it up eventually. So far it doesn't look like decline, except for maybe the engine.

Also:

oqf38w.jpg

Really? Funds well spent indeed.

catfood

AGAIN
Yeah, that is such a completely useless feature. I never understood why people prefer these to vastly superior hand-drawn portraits. I do like the custom coat of arms creator though.

Tomipapa

Educated
An interview. Sadly, nothing new for someone who following the game from the start. We had rumors about the new leader respawn system and now he confirmed it. It's called throne room, if you have it and die you will respawn in 3 turns, if you don't then game over. No more tower spamming, this is a massive incline!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's called throne room, if you have it and die you will respawn in 3 turns, if you don't then game over. No more tower spamming, this is a massive incline!
Is it throne room spamming?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
No more tower spamming, this is a massive incline!
Depends, having to take each and every tower city in AoW2 was sometimes painful but running staight for the leader as in AoW1 (given the stupidity of the AI) was worse. At least tower spamming forced you to properly defeat your opponent's empire and not just cut its head.

Tomipapa

Educated
Depends, having to take each and every tower city in AoW2 was sometimes painful but running staight for the leader as in AoW1 (given the stupidity of the AI) was worse. At least tower spamming forced you to properly defeat your opponent's empire and not just cut its head.

True. But in AoW 1 there wasn't any respawn system. At least here you can respawn, of course if you are sitting in the capital while the enemy capture it you will die. But if your leader not in the capital then first he must capture it, and only after that he can hunt you down. Plus the devs said this throne room is relocatable(the details are unknown).

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Well, I hope in turns out as a good compromise between having to capture too many cities or not enough. We'll see.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You know what I would love to see? More importance on moving and using your mage. Leading armies, participating in combat. Perhaps forging some items for him, enchanting him with defensive spells. Not being a guy that sits i the capital and does research, casts spells from afar. Well, not ONLY that.

AoW could learn a lot from fro Dominions in this regard.

Tomipapa

Educated
You know what I would love to see? More importance on moving and using your mage. Leading armies, participating in combat. Perhaps forging some items for him, enchanting him with defensive spells. Not being a guy that sits i the capital and does research, casts spells from afar. Well, not ONLY that.

AoW could learn a lot from fro Dominions in this regard.

You will see this. One of the main reason your wizard sat in his capital all the time was because he didn't get any xp and level. But now leaders also level up and gain new abilitites so you will see them in action. Especially leaders like the Warlord

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You will see this. One of the main reason your wizard sat in his capital all the time was because he didn't get any xp and level. But now leaders also level up and gain new abilitites so you will see them in action. Especially leaders like the Warlord
And now they would level up and become unkillable monsters, which would return in 3 turns.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I'm curious about something that was mentioned in the first video. Cities (or some cities) seem to be connected. If one of them is destroyed, the other will also be destroyed. I assume (and hope) not all cities will function this way, and if not, what are the requirements for a city to 'behave' this way?

Tomipapa, do you happen to know anything about this?

Tomipapa

Educated
I'm curious about something that was mentioned in the first video. Cities (or some cities) seem to be connected. If one of them is destroyed, the other will also be destroyed. I assume (and hope) not all cities will function this way, and if not, what are the requirements for a city to 'behave' this way?

Tomipapa, do you happen to know anything about this?

You mean when he captured Logano at 17:40? Sorry, i have no idea it might was a bug but i ask this question on the official forum .

Some new screens btw

AoW3_SCREENS_BrigandCamp.jpg

AoW3_SCREENS_CrystalTree02.jpg

AoW3_SCREENS_TomeofWonders.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom