Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adventure games with C&C and multiple solutions to puzzles ?

DramaticPopcorn

It's all in the title, are there any?

inbe4 Torment

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adventure games rarely have even simple plot branching, let alone C&C.

Eyeball

Arcane
I believe I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream had different ways to solve puzzles as well as different endings to the various character chapters, mainly revolving around how immorally you wanted to Progress through the story. In one part, for instance, you find yourself in need of a human Heart (don't ask). The moral way of obtaining one is to jump through a series of hoops before getting it. An easier way is to shank an innocent character and use his. This will let you Progress the story but give you a worse ending and make the endgame more difficult for that character.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A Tale of Two Kingdoms

Multiple solutions: All of the Quest for Glory games (on a 'each single puzzle' level, not really at the storyline level where you do totally different things to solve the main quest).

trustno1code

Prophet
Resonance has multiple endings, multiple solutions, some non-linearity (puzzle-wise, not story-wise) and some optional bits as well.

I'll also echo SCO and recommend A Tale of Two Kingdoms, one of the main selling points of that game (well, if it wasn't free) is it's non-linearity, multiple approaches to solving puzzles and consequences (there's a score system, no dead ends though).

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
Probably won't be taken well, but visual novels are more or less adventure games with C&C, branching and puzzles.

Redlands

Arcane
Additionally some of the games in the King's Quest series have this (thinking of 1 and 6 in particular).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks for suggestions, guys, I've played Blade Runner a couple of years ago but couldn't finish it for some reason.
There is a scene where a bomb explodes and on modern CPUs it explodes too quickly to escape. I had to run the game in a virtual machine to get past that part.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you do consider Walking Dead an adventure game (and that is a big if), you might want to check into it. While I'm not sure this classifies as a game, I thought it was absolutely brillant at what it was. I had lots of "Holy shit ?! Could I have prevented that ?!" moments.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
King's Quest 6, Fate of Atlantis, King's Quest 7 to a small extent. That's pretty much it, aside from what's already been mentioned.

SearchEngine

Learned
Bereau 13-Sort of like Maniac Mansion. You choose 2 out of 6 characters (hacker, priest, witch, vampire, mechanic & thief). They each have their own abilities to solve puzzles. The story is linear though. Speaking of Maniac Mansion...

Maniac Mansion-You choose 2 out of 6 characters to accompany the main character Dave and they too have their own abilities. The game has multiple endings, five of them the good endings, and the game can be finished depending on the characters you choose.

As for the King's Quest series, only VI has both multiple endings and multiple paths. I, II and VII have multiple solutions but the story (and I'm using that term very loosely for I and II) doesn't really reflect on how you choose to solve the puzzles. III, IV, and especially V are linear.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
star trek a final unity definitely has a few different solutions to puzzles, and some c&c. I remember early on you can free a lady by shooting the thing above her but you risk killing her, or find a different solution, and if she does die you just keep playing and dont get to talk to her... stuff like that

You also can choose who goes on your away missions, and some characters have different areas of expertise that can come in handy

There are also recurring characters that you can kill in battle, or find peaceful solutions, and you can meet them again later if they are alive.

also has multiple endings

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
We have some of both in Primordia, now on sale for the low low price of $3.99! Act now and get abGOG.com exclusive wallpaper, plus the soundtrack, while supplies last! :)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
^ MRY's post may look like an add plant's post :P , but Primordia does have some C&C and variations at the endings and it's an excellent game on the whole. Get it !

Blade Runner, QFG, A tale of two kingdoms, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, and Maniac Mansion have already been mentioned.

Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis offered 3 different paths to follow, the paths converge in the the end though.
Clock tower for the snes had about 10 endings and had some randomness each time you started the game.
Zak McKraken offered different solutions to some puzzles, iirc.

But yeah, there aren't many adventure games with branching storylines, C&C and multiple endings, you'll need to go to the action/adventure category.

Alpha protocol may be considered a good adventure game with great C&C and crappy action sequences.
The Silent Hill series have multiple endings, depending on some of your actions throughout the game.
Eternal Darkness offers three options at the beginning that alter the gameplay and give different endings.
The wing commander games had some C&C during combat and downtime that affected certain situations and endings.
Pathologic offers 3 different characters/paths and some non-linearity.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Thanks for suggestions, guys, I've played Blade Runner a couple of years ago but couldn't finish it for some reason.
There is a scene where a bomb explodes and on modern CPUs it explodes too quickly to escape. I had to run the game in a virtual machine to get past that part.
There is a fix for this thingie. I don't remember the exact name, but I guess I have it on my HDD somewhere. Bump me if needed.

As for the games... The Pandora Directive.

Wolfus

Arcane
Memento Mori has multiple endings but I am not sure if there is a English version.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ignoramus. They do it better than any CRPG has. Confirmed as a Dicksmoker. :rpgcodex:

Pandora Directive is the most obvious one, but many others have already been mentioned too.

Both Heart of China and Rise of the Dragon have both multiple solutions to puzzles as well as C&C and multiple endings. HOC does the endings and C&C better but both do very well on multiple paths (though in Rise the effect on the story may be more palpable, and the "paths" are not as clear-cut). Both are also great games.

Conquests of the Longbow has a ton of little bits of C&C that you may not even know are there until you reach the ending, which is then dictated by all those choices taken together.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ignoramus. They do it better than any CRPG has. Confirmed as a Dicksmoker. :rpgcodex:

Pandora Directive is the most obvious one, but many others have already been mentioned too.

Both Heart of China and Rise of the Dragon have both multiple solutions to puzzles as well as C&C and multiple endings. HOC does the endings and C&C better but both do very well on multiple paths (though in Rise the effect on the story may be more palpable, and the "paths" are not as clear-cut). Both are also great games.

Conquests of the Longbow has a ton of little bits of C&C that you may not even know are there until you reach the ending, which is then dictated by all those choices taken together.

I said rarely, didn't I? ;) Yeah, I actually remember the C&C in all those games you mentioned (except HoC which I didn't play)

I would say that it's not the standard template for the genre. (It arguably isn't in RPGs either, but at least there's been a popular movement to emphasize it over the years. Do adventure game fans talk about C&C?)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
(It arguably isn't in RPGs either, but at least there's been a popular movement to emphasize it over the years. Do adventure game fans talk about C&C?)
They don't, not in the way you're thinking and that was done for RPGs, but I think it's also why adventure games did it better and with less fanfare. It got talked about a lot in CRPGs, but that resulted in it becoming more of a marketing gimmick with no real substance (see Mass Effect). With adventure games nobody ever really considered it to be a tenet of what the genre should be about, or even a feature that would be desirable and that has to be there just because regardless of quality, and nobody attached a buzzword to it even, it was just an element that was lauded when done right (as it was with Pandora especially, but also Blade Runner and Last Express, even Riven). TBH the main reason I push it around so much is as a response to the idea that C&C is a central and defining point of CRPGs - I think it's not and can be done well in any genre, and so how good the C&C is in a CRPG has no brearing on how good of a CRPG it is - though it will of course have a bearing on how good a game it is.

Ghostdog's list is pretty good, and all games on it are also good games in their own right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom