Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"A new recipe for the roleplaying game formula" - Guido Henkel

nikolokolus

Arcane
I think Guido might be right about Skyrim, but not for the reasons he gives.

A lot of PnP campaigns I've played in are a lot like Skyrim: GM cooks up some half-baked "save the world" bullshit metaplot. Players rebel and say, "fuck this, let's go off over here, kill everyone and take their shit!" GM gets mad and eventually tries to railroad the players back on track, at which point most of the players start to get bored and everything grinds to a halt half-way through. Eventually optimism takes hold and a new "totally different" (but exactly the same) game starts up. Pattern repeats ad nauseum ad infinitum.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Skyrim vs old blobbers -both are LARPing galore. At least in skyrim you are larping with better graphics, not having to constantly use your fucking imagination for every shitty 2D 8bit sprite.
No. You just have no imagination because you're a might-as-well-be-still-birth retard who still sucks mommy's teet.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Skyrim vs old blobbers -both are LARPing galore. At least in skyrim you are larping with better graphics, not having to constantly use your fucking imagination for every shitty 2D 8bit sprite.

Why did you feel the need to defecate here?

Blackmill

Scholar
Hmm, he's got some interesting opinions on Skyrim, but I absolutely agree that more effort should be made on constructing a "dungeon master" AI. That said, depending on the goal of the AI (i.e. when the AI, or a subroutine of it, is an adversary to the player), it may need to update it's parameterization based on the player's choices. I'm not sure the computation required in these updates could be performed on consoles, and while that doesn't affect me, I doubt many game developers would be willing to lose such a large consumer base.

Dorateen

Arcane
If the goal is to make an AI that is adversarial to the player(s), go right ahead. But traditionally, that is not the directive of the Dungeon Master, in its original conception. The Dungeon Master is an arbiter of rules, a referee. Above all, he should be impartial. And while there are many anecdotes about "killer DMs", which add to the mystique of the hobby, the tabletop role-playing game is meant to be a co-operative experience. There is a social contract that exists between the players and DM in a gaming group.

Also, the game master is not a storyteller, but a world designer. It is his purpose to set up locations, populated with NPCs to interact with, and oversee running the campaign. The players are the ones tasked to forge their own story about their characters.

That's why in the computer medium, the adventures that work best are those where the number-crunching and details of mechanics are handled in the background by a neutral software program, with the least amount of intrusion into gameplay by the developer.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You could probably write an article about the state of RPGs in 2005, but now? For every thing you write that "RPGs don't do anymore" there are likely several small & indie RPGs doing exactly that.

Mark my words, his article will - once again - read like "I ignore small studios and really wish Bethesda, CD Projekt or BioWare would hire me to make a AAA RPG".

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
If we are talking about if RPG should be more like Sandbox Simulations I going to argue that it's a YES.

The thing about RPG is the eternal "what is a RPG?", RPG is a term that represents a legacy of influences and tropes from its wargaming roots to Dungeons & Dragons tabletop to its adaption on a computer under the CRPG umbrella and so on.
It has very little to do with "Role Play", What is actual "roleplay"? Its not a nice thing to acknowledge but its to play pretend, we have to be honest those LARPs are doing actual roleplay even if its far from our CRPG sensibilities.
Roleplay is not about choices and its not about consequences and its not about combat or skills. Its acting in a world, its collaborative storytelling with the GM with the system used as a moderator so that the players don't pull bullshit on each other and keep things organized and moving along.
Not you might say I don't need your stinking "acting", who cares if its not roleplay? I want my thing that is CRPGs!
And you are right, you don't need to act, people go on about character builds all day long but the fact that they optimize for the best and treat that like some achievement means they don't really care what the characters represent, and even if they did it would be pointless since the games themselves would not be about that since they cannot act. All you would get at best would be some shitty choices and a gimped character that can't complete the game.

Now I am going to get to my main point, the thing is playing pretend is not simple at all! We can do it because we are humans! And its the reason why no computer RPGs have been about roleplay. The only case where it could happen is in a Sandbox MMORPG or the old MUDs or other freeform multiplayer games. And even then the experience would be limited compared to PnP RPGs.

So here is THE question, Why is that? Why can't we have that kind of experience on a computer game?
The secret lies in something the GM has,the player have and everyone who writes fictional books.
It is the Representation of The World, the personal view of the world.

When a writer writers a fictional book he uses the experience he has of our real world and changes a few things but works roughly the same. It's why there is the advice to write about the subjects you know about from personal experience, because only through experience can you write with any kind of depth.
In a Tabletop RPG you add some rules and lore to change that real life representation of the world into the fictional one, but the original still works in the background. This is why merle adapting a RPG system to a computer no matter how complex and detailed is pointless because it does not have the original representation of the world.
The Real World is an objective system that follows its own logic rigorously, a human's experience might know some parts of it and other parts might be faulty, science has yet to understand its full logic, especially of those meatbag creatures called humans with all their psychology,behavior, society and culture. But we know plenty enough.

So what are Sandbox Simulations? It's simple, it's creating a Representation of the World from scratch, every action, every system, every AI, every interaction, every consequence painstakingly coded to give a world its own logic, a simulated fictional world.
Of course there would be some cheats and abstractions built into the system because its impossible to follow the complexity of the Real World logic. But like human experience we can get close enough.

The more in depth you can make the Representation of the World the more you can the experience of the game like a fantasy book. You can live in a fantasy world. It is not exactly roleplay because nobody is forcing you to act and its not exactly a story either.
It can still have its goals,challenge and systems as a game to make it a fun experience.
To some extent games already have their own Representation of the World. A classic example is The Sims where everything is simplistic actions and progress bars, its simple but it works.
Another example is Crusader Kings where every expansion continuous to refine it's Representation of the World with new systems, actions and story snippets.

This is what I consider RPGs can do in the future.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, some people play D&D to experience an complex "representation of the world" - but others just dungeon-crawl and kill shit.

Baldur's Gate 2 may look like the ultimate RPG experience, but it's provably crap for people who only play Vampire, Traveller or Cthulhu. There's no "TR00 RPG EXPERIENCE".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Today's Guido Henkel. He started posting Unity tutorial all of a sudden. "Endless Scrolling Starfield in Unity": http://guidohenkel.com/2018/05/endless_starfield_unity/

Turns out it's part of his Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TheCodewarrior

Does the world really need more tutorials?

Contrary to popular practice, I’ve always found video tutorials unsuitable for programming purposes and I have therefore decided to prepare written tutorials instead. That way you can glean information very quickly, particularly if you are already on familiar turf and know what you’re looking for. Unlike a video tutorial that simply follows along as you do, a good, written tutorial takes a decent amount of time and effort to prepare, however. It needs to be fine-tuned in order to make sure it covers everything, including preliminaries—and does so in an understandable manner.

My tutorials will feature images, illustrations and animations to show what might be happening behind the scenes, to make sure you will fully understand how the solution works. Your contribution will give you access to concepts, to materials, research and information that you can immediately put to use!

Well, text-based is all well and good, but how about taking a subject that can use your unique strength than other tutorial makers. RPG development and design tutorial for example.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Guido was one of my idols when I was a kid. Today I looked at his twitter feed and he seems like a totally different person from the guy I imagined.

:?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Guido was one of my idols when I was a kid. Today I looked at his twitter feed and he seems like a totally different person from the guy I imagined.

Afraid it was always your imagination. Avellone let him have it in that big thread of his.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Guido is not on Realms Beyond anymore, so what now? If he works on another classic RPG I will support him, but not Bard's Tale MMO.

Bocian

Arcane
Guido is not on Realms Beyond anymore, so what now?
koala.png

we have to be honest those LARPs are doing actual roleplay even if its far from our CRPG sensibilities.
Define LARP. Lately it's being used as a derogatory term for doing needless and uninfluential things in action RPG's like the famous Oblivion/Skyrim roleplaying guide.
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying

I kinda agree with a lot of stuff in the original article in this thread, up to the point where he praises Skyrim. A more concise way to summarize it would be player agency.

The single biggest problem with modern RPGs (and games in general) is the lack of player agency. Player agency doesn't have to be about any one specific thing, it can be done in a lot of different ways (C&C in Fallout, figuring out how to use various systems in Deus Ex, solving puzzles in Ultima Underworld, managing inventory and learning stuff in NetHack, , mastering the combat system in Dark Souls, and so on). But the player has to feel like they are actively doing something, that their actions and decisions are affecting the world in an active way.

In modern AAA games, it's all auto-pilot. Run from quest marker to quest marker, follow quest compass or cookie trail, mindlessly do the tiny tasks allocated to you, do the errands.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
It came out in the Ceres thread that Guido left them for money reasons:

My opinion is that he's in a difficult position, because he's not made a game for so long that it's not easy to get back in. Maybe he should do a small one man project, like a lot of other people are doing today? A small indie game to show off his old skills would be an instant pre-order for me.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There seems to be a direct correlation between the autism people exhibit regarding modern day politics (Trump) and their ability to make good games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom