Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XIII

Servo

Arcane
Why is there no Final Fantasy XIII thread? I wanted to talk about how pretty it is.

PROS:
  • Combat is fun
  • It's pretty
  • Cutscenes are pretty
  • Characters are pretty
  • There are no ugly people in it
CONS:
  • Combat is brainless
  • Characters are retarded
  • Story is as cliche as it is complicated
  • Every anime trope is here in spades
  • No exploration at all
  • Non-existent RPG mechnacnics
So basically 10/10 100% AAAAA+++ GOTY (2010)

Ermm

Erudite
So, that FF XIII-3 thing got released a while ago. Well, just reminded that to anyone who cares.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can do so by starting to port all post-Final Fantasy VIII games to PC, revive Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun and bring Amy Hennig back to CD, and immediadely shut down Eidos Montreal lest spreading more cancerous nuThiefs around the planet that nobody ever asked for.
AND they need to port Bravely Default to PS Vita.

Servo

Arcane
PROS:
  • Combat is fun
CONS:
  • Combat is brainless
does not compute.

Sorry, I meant the combat is fun when it's not brainless, which is sometimes. Unfortunately, I'm about 20 hrs in and the only thing that can maybe sometimes be a little challenging is using the right paradigm for various situations. "Do I switch paradigms now and heal up my tank or try to get a couple more hits in to stagger the enemy?" Also unfortunate that there's zero consequence for dying, just reload the fight.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
To be fair, except for games that allow Iron Man gameplay, few are the ones who have any actual consequences for death.

It's sad. Not everything is wrong with FF13. If they had decent storytelling rather than starting in medias res and adding crappy senseless flashbacks, the story might have made more sense and could, who knows, have actually been good. If they had added towns and a more balanced/classic fight system, FF13 might even have been a superior game to FFX.

Haven't played FFXIII-2 yet. I heard the gameplay is better, but boy, that universe and those characters...

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
It's sad. Not everything is wrong with FF13. If they had decent storytelling rather than starting in medias res and adding crappy senseless flashbacks, the story might have made more sense and could, who knows, have actually been good. If they had added towns and a more balanced/classic fight system, FF13 might even have been a superior game to FFX.

Haven't played FFX-2 yet. I heard the gameplay is better, but boy, that universe and those characters...
I'm making my very first FFX run on Vita and the game seems very similar to XIII. And I do think that XIII got a lot of gameplay ideas/mechanics from X (the battle system with paradigms is similar to the roles of your every team member in X, the crystarium and overall gameplay concept of long straight locations with mob thrashing with cutscenes)

BTW I like characters in XIII more than X. Not sure about the story, because I'm around 20 hrs in the game and the things only start to become interesting. And I liked the story of XIII, I've digged the l'cie/fal'cie concept.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I like the XIII series including story and charachters for some reason.

At the very least compared to the critisism they recieve. (For example I don't think they are worse than previous FF games or other FF games) Not that there aren't things wrong with it. XIII-2 was my favourite FF game since IX.

As far as Toryiama goes its certainly by far the best he's been the past two generations.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It begins, apparently. Maybe it's just the mobile streaming nonsense.
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/FF13_Portal/

6I48h2T.jpg

Martius

Liturgist
13-2 is bit better than 13. Better pacing, less linear and so on. I have played only demo of Lighting returns but half of it was tutorial, other half cutscenes.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
So which one of these three is worth playing the most?

This is just a hypothetical question, ahem.
XIII has the better story. And the one that sort of makes sense. So if you want a MAJESTIC VISCERUL emotional engagement movie with the occasional interactive scene and 40 hours of running through corridors, that's the one for you.

XIII-2 is much better as an actual game, combat system is more interactive, more strategy is involved and you can capture and train creatures like it's Pokemon or something. But the story is about as coherent as Prosper on a heroin binge and makes even less sense if you haven't played the first game. Constant dicking around through time (but not in a good way like Chrono Trigger).

I played II halfway through and then went for the first one, just to find out WTF happened, who Lighting was and who got their cocoons all in a bunch. But yeah 2 is the better game. Don't know about the 3rd one, I'm still waiting for it to reach the bargain bin before I buy.

Overall the first one could have been a lot better, even with the boredom, if they just replaced some of the characters with something less retarded. If Vanille could just shut her goddamn whore mouth for 5 seconds or Snow can stop being a stereotypical white knight, it would have been a lot better as a movie.

Diablo169

Arcane
Would rather see 9 and to a lesser extend 10 then these titles on PC. still at least they seem to be porting newer games to the PC platform.

Martius

Liturgist
13 have also one big problem. In theory you are supposed to have three party members and mix their roles during combat buy you cant do that because during first half (if not more) game jumps between different pairs. Near end it pretty much dumps everything at you at once - all party members with option to learn all roles, side quest, bigger and open location and so on. It feel like people at Square had some idea for mechanics but for whatever reason decided to lock it until nearly you can finish it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Not really near the end though, more like halfway through.

TigerKnee

Arcane
13-3 is probably the best one, but that's a bit of a relative comparison. Non-linear Action RPG.

13-1 is too dragged out, mechanics introduced too slowly. 13-2 is better in this regard because it has more mechanics that are fun to play with, but unfortunately they reduced the difficulty too much so you can't appreciate it since you can auto-battle through every random encounter.

And of course I don't have to talk about 13's corridor simulation. The gameplay outside of combat in that game is complete tripe, and the battles aren't good enough to salvage the complete lack of exploration, party building, loot, etc.

Don't even get invested on the plot of the games, especially 13-2 cliffhanger and how 13-3 eventually ended everything, which is just comedy gold. 13 is badly executed but at least there was some interesting ideas behind it unlike the two sequels which are retcon hell.

Servo

Arcane
It begins, apparently. Maybe it's just the mobile streaming nonsense.

I'm confused. What is beginning, exactly? There is a PC port?

Morgoth btw seriously don't even bother. Unless you have immunity to anime weaboo crap and just want to see some pretty graphix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom