Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking 1eyedking's List of Games Full of Tasteful Art Direction

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Welcome 1eyedking. That's a very intelligent first thread you wrote there, I am sure you'll make a great addition to our community here.

Forgotten Friend

Educated
Is this a troll post?

Starcraft? My dick has more taste.

DOOM? Cyberdemons good, everything else bad. Not to mention random color scheme. The start of the oh so edgy biomechanical chimera nonsense that made quake series so annoying.

Gothic? Do I have to say anything? Art direction inspired by the sims.

Icewind dale? What what what? Hard to go wrong with a DnD setting but hard to go very right, it's just too generic for words.

I can agree with fallout and witcher and thief.

Everything else I have no real opinion.

1eyedking

Erudite
Added Company of Heroes, both X-COMs. Can't believe I forgot about those. Also GTA:SA as a honorary mention.

Also, Morrowind? Nexus? FF7? Shin Megami Tensei? Homeworld? Good art direction games? Try harder niggers. Those are either pretentiously empty crap, or empty crap period.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
i told him to keep the retardation coming but i had no idea he would take it this far

i'm sorry guys this one's on me

1eyedking

Erudite
Stop posting unenlightened shit comments on my thread. Go play your fucking Wizardries, Jagged Alliances, King's Bounty The Legend, Winter Voices, KotC, Europa Universalis, The Void, Personas, and other masterpieces brimming with cheap emo faggotry, elves and orcs in space, borked accents with incredibly exploitable gameplay mechanics, and pseudoartistic value.

1eyedking

Erudite
"OH GOD THE GAME IS MAINSTREAM IT CANT HAVE GOOD ART IN IT. WHERE'S MY TROIKA GAMES!!!1!"

"WHAT IS THIS 'STARCRAFT IS GOOD ART'? GOOD VOICE ACTING, MUSIC & CUTSCENES, WHAT IS THAT AMIRITE?"

"WHAT? NO OBSIDIAN MASTERPIECES? WHERE IS MOTB???? ILL POST SOME WITTY RETORT SO THAT MY 'CODEX BROS' BROFIST MY POSTS JUST LIKE IN 9GAG!1!!!"

"FUCKING HOLLYWOOD ROMANS BRO, WHERE'S MY PIG LATIN IN MY UNIT VOICES, I'LL GO FUCKING PLAY EUROPA BARABRORUM WHERE THE TRAIT DESCRIPTIONS ARE JUST LIKE I LIKE THEM : FUCKING WALLS OF EMOTIONLESS FACTUAL NON-DESCRIPTIVE TEXT"

Fucking Codex delivers as usual :lol:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
WHERE'S MY PIG LATIN IN MY UNIT VOICES

Icewind Dale Spellcasting said:
Veritas, Credo, Oculos!

Praeses, Alia, Fero!

Vita, Mortis, Careo!

Scio, Didici, Pecto!

Manus, Potentis, Paro!

Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio!

Facio, Voco , Ferre!

Cupio, Virtus, Licet!

but icewind dale is excused yeah i know man latin spellcasting is pretty deep right like harry potter

1eyedking

Erudite
The HUD. God I miss HUDs.

The Overmind. A fucking eye with stretched tendons, how fucking cool is that? "Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me." Best. Campaign. Greeting. EVER.

Unit design is overall, pretty solid and more measured than full-blown "FUCK YEAH SPACE MARINES ADVANCE" with less overdesign.

The Zerg are credible, non-ridiculous aliens. Appart from Alien, they're the only alien race done well. Tyranids have weapons and swords on them, fucking ridiculous.

Humans feel industrial and not a 2.0 design statement.

No fucking fashion venues in space.

Protoss are mostly crap. They should've hired this guy for them.

And if you're still in doubt, click here or here.

racofer

Thread Incliner
ITT:

118q45i.png

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What do any of those three have to do with the actual game?
It's what you see and hear all the time. Ergo, they are the game, dumbfuck.
There are games without voice acting. There are games without cutscenes. There are games without music. There are admittedly not many games without all three, but they probably do exist.

Anyway, I don't think Doom was praised for its Nine Inch Nails music, which is solely remembered for nostalgia value. Otherwise, it did without voice acting or cutscenes. Was Doom not a game?

Forgotten Friend

Educated
The HUD. God I miss HUDs.

The Overmind. A fucking eye with stretched tendons, how fucking cool is that? "Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me." Best. Campaign. Greeting. EVER.

Unit design is overall, pretty solid and more measured than full-blown "FUCK YEAH SPACE MARINES ADVANCE" with less overdesign.

The Zerg are credible, non-ridiculous aliens. Appart from Alien, they're the only alien race done well. Tyranids have weapons and swords on them, fucking ridiculous.

Humans feel industrial and not a 2.0 design statement.

No fucking fashion venues in space.

Protoss are mostly crap. They should've hired this guy for them.

And if you're still in doubt, click here or here.
So it's good because it's more tasteful than warhammer 40k?

At least you didn't point to the shiny cartoony shit they have done more recently but the southern redneck space emperor doesn't seem like a shining moment even if it's meant tongue in cheek as a bash on W when he was in office.

I guess the marinez are OK but the Zerg I just don't like but there's no accounting for tastes. I don't think anyone likes protoss though.

So this is pretty much a list of "Games I Liked And Try to Justify MY Superiority In Liking Them Using A Ton of Mental Gymnastics", right? Doom 3, Icewind Dale 2, Diablo...really? I'd really like to see how you square this list with all the reasons you shit on other games because so many of them fall to the same critiques.

Cassidy

Arcane
[...]Wizardries, Jagged Alliances, King's Bounty[...]Europa Universalis[...] and other masterpieces brimming with cheap emo faggotry, elves and orcs in space, borked accents with incredibly exploitable gameplay mechanics, and pseudoartistic value.

You're not even trying.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Very poor attempt at trolling.

Besides, everyone knows Ico has the best art direction of any video game ever. Of all time. Fucking period.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom