Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline 0 A.D. The Open Source RTS

MoLAoS

While the tech trees sound nice, what makes this different from Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Age of Mythology etc

Well IIRC they added some new stuff, although I never played AoE2 so I can't say whether it makes a significant difference. They have their soliders that can gather but lose gathering and become more combat oriented as they gain experience. Territory or something. I dunno.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
I picked it up because you stress this aspect a lot. I would rather hear what would make this game better than, let's say AoE 2. Because you know, graphics matter only at first glance, after a an hour graphics that makes you "know what you are looking at" are enough. So, what exacatly this game propse that other RTS'es don't have?

You're talking too much about those graphics, really. Not that they're not good looking, but they're not what's supposed to make it a good game.

Yes, the graphics are certainly most important fucking thing in strategy games...

An engine isn't just about shiny graphics.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
If this is as good as Age of Empires I might put some money into it.

I don't think you can beat the isometric 2D engine of age of Empire 2 and the gameplay possibilities it allowed.

I've played 0ad and it's kinda shit right now. They initially had a few good ideas, like those walls you could climb on, something I always wanted to see in AOE, but I think they have taken them out of skirmish mode.

A minor details, the art assets for the celtic faction sucks. They made them look like some kind of stone/bronze age civilization, which is kinda incoherent compared to the great deal of historical accuracy in the other factions units/buildings

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
RTS genre dying out was one of the few good things to come out of the general gaming decline of 2000s. Good riddance, and don't bring them back.

Strongly fucking disagree with that.

Graphics and UI looks alot like Age of Mythology. TBH I'd prefer a more AoE2 style isometric camera and UI style, but that's just me.

I'll back this one. I miss good RTS games.

mondblut

Arcane
But the "RTS" subgenre proper (aka Dune 2 clones) must die a violent and painful death. They are a fucking Hidden Object Game of strategy genre.

I've never seen these horrible clones anywhere.

warcraft1-3.gif
command-and-conquer-1995.jpg

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That style (particularly the UI) was copied a bit during the early-mid 90s. I know Warcraft 1 copied it.

My favourite RTS games would be

Age of Empires II: The Conquerors
Starcraft: Brood War
Warcraft 2
C&C Generals (original)
Battle Realms

I also have high respect for

Dark Reign
Total Annihilation
Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne
Empire Earth
Age of Mythology (not with the expansion)
C&C Red Alert 2
Company of Heroes (original, before the online bullshit)

I was never into original AoE, I was more of a fan of Warcraft and TA:Kingdoms at the time, and I didn't have a PC to play the older games like Dune 2 and Red Alert 1, I only played them on friends computers. Nevertheless the RTS genre has some sweet, sweet games and you can't deny that SC1 is an awesome e-sport. SC2 is rubbish though.

MoLAoS

Man, it gives me a sad. No one ever mentions warlords battlecry, which I vastly prefer over SC and even WC. I guess because its not designed for a solid multiplayer experience.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
Why would anyone follow this shovelware when Age of Empire 2 is getting a full fledged expansion, with even prettier graphics, perfect engine, and the overall superior gameplay? (As long as you install a mod that brings back the old fire, resource icons and farm texture).

They aren't raising money fast enough anyway and won't make it. No one wants to see Age of Empire 1 ported to Age of Empire 3 engine.

Sensuki

Arcane
Forgotten Empires is a mod to original AoE2 and they're making it an official mod and converting it to AoE2: HD.

You can play the mod on AoE2 original but I don't think you get the widescreen res support and stuff

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
Basically I think it's even worse. The Mod team was struggling with a lot of good features, such as engine tweaks (to allow for bridges to be build for example or boats to go under bridges), decent new campaign, modelling new assets (such as more architecture sets because the Eastern European and Byzantine ones were getting overused), or implementation of a few new units...

They aren't porting the mod to HD, they are teaming up with the HD team. Which means that I doubt the HD team will allow their shared work to be distributed for free as a mod.
Which means the mod will stay as it is, while the official Expansion will get more good stuff.

That plus the fact that the HD version has a bigger playerbase, full of noobish newcomers which makes it more agreeable than fighting the same 10 unbeatable Brazillians on gameranger. Quick matchmaking.

But it has no lan which sucks. Sucks a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom