Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS 0 A.D. - A free, open-source game of ancient warfare

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
https://play0ad.com/game-info/project-overview/

0 A.D. (pronounced “zero-ey-dee”) is a free, open-source, historical Real Time Strategy (RTS) game currently under development by Wildfire Games, a global group of volunteer game developers. As the leader of an ancient civilization, you must gather the resources you need to raise a military force and dominate your enemies.

History is Yours for the Taking
lTjIT27.png

“0 A.D.” is a time period that never actually existed: In the usual calendar, one goes from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D. and skips zero. This reflects the historical fiction in the game: Who would have won if all the factions were pitted against each other when each of them was at its prime?

We intend to portray some of the major civilizations over the millennium of 500 B.C. to 500 A.D. (Hence the midpoint, zero.) That is an ambitious prospect, so in the first edition of 0 A.D. we focus on the last five centuries B.C. Perhaps in future expansion packs, more civilizations will be added, along with additional gameplay features.

We put a strong emphasis on historical accuracy while developing 0 A.D. We plan all our units and all our buildings based on reconstructions of how the units and the buildings might have looked like in the ancient world. We even name them in the original languages, such as Greek and Latin. But it’s worth remembering that any game should be fun to play, so, in many cases, we preferred playability over historical accuracy.

0 A.D. is Free of Charge
p5rmAgC.png

0 A.D. is completely downloadable at no cost and always will be. No “freemium” model, no in-game advertising, no catch. This is our iron-clad guarantee.

Although you might find some people selling copies of 0 A.D. on physical media, remember, you will always have the option to download 0 A.D. gratis on the internet, directly from the developers.

0 A.D. is Free as in “Freedom”
05PWAa5.png

0 A.D. is freely licensed software, because we believe everyone should have access to great games, and that everyone can learn from developing them. You can redistribute and modify the game as long as you abide by the GPL. And you can even use parts of the art and sound for your own projects as long as you abide by CC BY-SA.

0 A.D. is Still Under Development
vE0XKql.png

Work on 0 A.D. began in 2001, first as a mod concept for Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. In 2003 development moved to a standalone game with its own engine, Pyrogenesis. In 2009-2010, the game was released as free, open-source software and and much of the codebase was rewritten. Learn more about the story of 0 A.D. »

Currently, 0 A.D. is still in alpha phase, which means an early experimental phase. It is playable, and you can already download and test the game, but some features are still missing. When will 0 A.D. be released? It is very hard to predict. Even after we are done implementing all the features, we will want to conduct extensive beta testing, which can take a while. Information about release dates will be released at the appropriate time.

I'm being told by a friend that this "it is basically a modern AoE with better graphics, more mechanics and better historical descriptions".

Beowulf

Arcane
Wow, they are still doing this.

It's in development for like what, a decade?

Tigranes

Arcane
Holy shit, this is alive?

This was basically the hope for Age of Empires when Ensemble died.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
it seems this is set in a world were you can grow crops during snow season.
You've got to be kidding me.
That is what you are complaining about in a free RTS game?

Holy shit, this is alive?

This was basically the hope for Age of Empires when Ensemble died.
Not much changed, actually. They continue developing, with - I think! - very few paid members (last time I looked it was one programmer) and the rest is community work.

Projects like these usually don't "end". Instead at some point they reach a quite playable point.

I usually look at the project twice or so per year to check out the new features.
I think I last played Alpha 17 and that was already quite playable, though you did need quite a machine to handle it.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Not being familiar with the game at hand, I thought WW had gone off the deep end and was making a parody topic of that 'give it a try! it's free' guy.

Johannes

Arcane
Last time I quickly tried it, I just felt like I should be playing proper AoE2 instead. It didn't have the right "feel", was it pathing, graphics, tech tree or whatever combo of those it felt inferior.

Of course that's maybe five years ago so maybe they've improved since. Alas it's just as likely they've just gone further into decline since...

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Does it now offer anything that Age of Empires doesn't? Any features that set it apart?

Last time I tried it (also a few years ago) it was basically just Age of Empires in a new skin.

80s Stallone

Arcane
Last time I quickly tried it, I just felt like I should be playing proper AoE2 instead. It didn't have the right "feel", was it pathing, graphics, tech tree or whatever combo of those it felt inferior.

It's the same with OpenRA. No port really matches the original games, albeit it features advanced stuff.

The good thing is someone is truly re-engineering C&C Red Alert, not creating an inferior inspired-by-clone: http://redalertpp.org

From there, new features could be added, like building queues and advanced A.I.

But one can only dream...

kris

Arcane
it seems this is set in a world were you can grow crops during snow season.

Wow dude really. I know modern people know fuckall about farming but... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_cereal

Granted they dont exactly grow during the winter (merely hide under the snow) but not sure how much field work is still involved.

I am pretty sure I know more about you about growing crops in cold temperatures for sure, which that post really showed.

The game showed GROWING crops beside snow, which just means that they have crops and seasons in the game, but that seasons dont really affect crops. Probably snow affects nothing at all and is just there for show.

this is hardly a big issue. but codex gonna codex i guess.

That's pretty common actually.

As5lxgq.jpg

No. No it isn't, because things dont grow when it is frozen. what is that thing by the way? I been around, but cant remember I seen anything like it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game showed GROWING crops beside snow, which just means that they have crops and seasons in the game, but that seasons dont really affect crops. Probably snow affects nothing at all and is just there for show.
Ahh, I think that's what you got wrong.
Afaik, there are no seasons in the game.
Just maps with a winter setting. So that map the footage was taken with always has winter ;)

True seasons affecting gameplay... would be interesting, but that game already has lots of mechanics to know about*, not sure if yet another layer would be too helpful.

*And last time I looked, those were not communicated all too well. Which is to be expected in an alpha, I suppose.

Last edited:

MoLAoS

What's the point of having actual seasons in an RTS game? Makes no god damn sense. That would imply the game was going on for decades.

DramaticPopcorn

Ahh yes, because you build stone castles in days (AoE).
If you want a realistic timescale and seasons, you will have seasons rotation within mere minutes, because of research advancements. it's a stupid gimmick for stupid people.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
What's the point of having actual seasons in an RTS game? Makes no god damn sense. That would imply the game was going on for decades.
If you want a realistic timescale and seasons, you will have seasons rotation within mere minutes, because of research advancements. it's a stupid gimmick for stupid people.
Wow, what an impressive display of a lack of imagination.

Can't understand what's so hard about imagining an RTS game where a single map/campaign/whatever takes places over the course of a few years, including seasons affecting gameplay in a significant way.
It hasn't been done yet, but I still think it could be interesting if done well.

Not saying that 0AD should have it - not at all, for the reasons I stated above.

DramaticPopcorn

Wow, what an impressive display of a lack of imagination.

Can't understand what's so hard about imagining an RTS game where a single map/campaign/whatever takes places over the course of a few years, including seasons affecting gameplay in a significant way.
It hasn't been done yet, but I still think it could be interesting if done well.

Not saying that 0AD should have it - not at all, for the reasons I stated above.
In a different game, yes, not in AoE clone, which is what obviously being advocated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom