Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me remember an old DOS RPG game. (Ultima-like?)

Captain Obvious

Scholar
superstalin said:
Actually, I think the combat was the only rogue-like part about it. I remember you could buy weapons in towns. Again, I'm not 100% sure on this one. But I remember using a cheating program to get me a lot of gold and buying something...

Your soul was shattered when Ultima IX was released, and from the scattered fragments of your gamer spirit, you have assembled a fantasy reality, a game that does not exist. Let go, Stalin. Let go.

superstalin

Novice
Never!

This is like searching for your long lost elementary school crush when you're in your 40's.

mondblut

Arcane
superstalin said:
It's directly top down 2D. Not a dungeon crawler!

I think the avatar (You) had animations... Very simple one at that. Just walking animations.

Couldn't you tell some basics first? Was it TB or RT? What kind of ruleset it had (levels, skills, classes or not, etc). What was the story about? "Looks like old Ultima" is quite a stretched description, and "character was tall" doesn't really help at all.

Captain Obvious

Scholar
mondblut said:
Couldn't you tell some basics first? Was it TB or RT? What kind of ruleset it had (levels, skills, classes or not, etc). What was the story about? "Looks like old Ultima" is quite a stretched description, and "character was tall" doesn't really help at all.

Either that, or post pictures of boobies. I have the feeling that either will increase the productivity of this thread tremondously.

superstalin

Novice
mondblut said:
superstalin said:
It's directly top down 2D. Not a dungeon crawler!

I think the avatar (You) had animations... Very simple one at that. Just walking animations.

Hmmm. I think it was based on movement, like rouge-style. If you stand still, nothing happens, you need to move for them to move. But once you move onto an enemy, the screen doesn't change during combat, it just stays there until one of you die. No combat screen.

The story, I have no idea..

Divinity: Original Sin
superstalin said:
...I'm not 100% sure here! I would move with the arrow keys, and just "move" into the direction of enemies until they were killed. It had a gold system that I could buy things with(?). The game had NO party system, and NO 3D-Dungeon mode. The starting map is very green, with a castle and trees near you.

This combat system, of just touching the enemies, is very much like the one in the JRPG series Ys:

ys-pc.png

more here: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ys/ys.htm

superstalin

Novice
I don't think it was a JRPG, I'm sure. I do remember the grass in the game being more deeper green and lot more solid.

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm, I think I can recall what game you mean. Can you tell us the color of hte sky in that game? The exact shade? (down to the right pixel?) it would be a great help.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
AndhairaX said:
Hmm, I think I can recall what game you mean. Can you tell us the color of hte sky in that game? The exact shade? (down to the right pixel?) it would be a great help.

You.Are.Not.Helping.

Section8

Cipher
Excelsior? It's a fairly straight forward Ultima clone, and if you jack up your charisma, you can sell things for more than you bought them for and cheat your way into a lot of gold.

MisterStone

Arcane
Legacy of the Ancients maybe? It had lotsa colors... The avatar doesn't look right, though. It was the single PC RPG that had a "galactic museum" where you would unlock new areas with special tokens/coins.

lota03.gif

Also maybe questron 2? It used a similar engine, I never played it so I don't know if it fits your description well or not.

Fuck... the description of that avatar rings a bell, but I just can't figure it out.

Oh yeah, maybe it's this one I am thinking of... Wrath of Denethenor (written by a HS senior no less!) but it was released for Apple II and C64 only, also not so many colors. :(

119125979500.png

Wyrmlord

Arcane
In the process of asking this question, superstalin has allowed us to unveil every Ultima clone ever made.

A truly difficult question, considering that is a little troublesome to distinguish one from another.

Wasn't there some Ultima clone based on LotR as well?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
In the process of asking this question, superstalin has allowed us to unveil every Ultima clone ever made.

A truly difficult question, considering that is a little troublesome to distinguish one from another.

Wasn't there some Ultima clone based on LotR as well?

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
MisterStone said:
Legacy of the Ancients maybe? It had lotsa colors... The avatar doesn't look right, though. It was the single PC RPG that had a "galactic museum" where you would unlock new areas with special tokens/coins.

Wasn't he like saying "no 3D dungeons"?

Legacy of the Ancients

Legacy_Of_The_Ancients_ingame.gif

Divinity: Original Sin
i remember a friend who was trying to remember a cartoon from the 80's. No one could know based on the information given by him. only two years later someone found a website and found a match to his description.

So I have faith superstalin will eventually find out... but it'll probably take long.

MisterStone

Arcane
Lol, SuperStalin posted this on another site as well:
showthread.php

This means we've got to figure this shit out... can't let those "yougamer" wankers show us up, can we? For Codexia!

superstalin

Novice
Actually, I posted it in about 4 other forums. This one has been the most helpful yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom