Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are people thoughts on Matrix online?

errorcode

Liturgist
so?

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
When I want to play MMORPG i play Diablo II battlenet.

Why ? It is free no credit card required.

I also have a few good items .

Why should i .

Pay $50 for a new game.
Pay 15 $ / month or whatever .
Get a credit card to pay the 15 $
Learn a totally new gameplay.
Spend a nother month of instense Mf or the equivalent in Matrix

When i can just play Diablo 2 ?

Also every MMORPG the first 6 months is extremely buggy.
Also a lot of the new MMORPG fail miserably as an example SIMS online or the space one and whatever.

Thorndyke

Novice
Imagine an MMORPG in which every user is named nEo9823432823, TEH_ONE24902, Therese Nospoon and uebarH4xXx0rMorphuesDELUXEKARATEMAN (If you lack the imagination, just check out any non-sex-related AOL chatroom and you'll get the idea).

Seriously, I think a Matrix MMORPG would instantly spawn an abysmally retarted community of powergaming (duh) kids, who would soon scare away the few "serious" players and turn the game's online world into a dump full of overstyled action obsessed morons who kill each other all the time because "TEHRRE CNA ONLEY B ONE 'THE ONE' U FARGOT!!".

Additionally, I've never been a fan of the Matrix series anyway. I'm not bashing it either though, since the first one was entertaining and the basic concept of the Matrix universe is kinda interesting. The execution of it just isn't my cup of tea. Slow motion kung fu in tight black leather just isn't my idea of a dark and gritty vision of a machine controlled future.

crufty

Arcane
I personally can't wait. It's coming out in 3 weeks, and it's name is Doom 3. If that isn't the matrix, I don't know what is.

This MMORPG rumor is just Agent Smith raising hell. Nothing a sawed off shotgun and a chainsaw can't fix.

Reklar

Liturgist
Thorndyke pretty much summed up my opinion on an online game using the Matrix liscense. While I like the setting and find the action a refreshing change from most action movies, it is highly prone to munchkinism. Plus, despite the fact Monolith is a local company (Kirkland, Washington) and I like to support them, I just can't get over the idea that it wouldn't maintain any sort of real free-form environment. Then again, not having a machine capable of running the game could be a factor too. :)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

xemous

Arcane
heh,
well for starters the mmo is inspiried by some shitty movies series, and its only objective is to be bearable anough that fans of the movies keep shelling out the 30aud/month

the devs could be working on a new fps engine for blood 3 or some other ip fps, which is what there good at, i just hope they get it over with and the pig$ let them get back to what they do best

Jed

Cipher
First Matrix movie=Pretty Good.
All other Matrix-related media=Utter Shit.
MMORPGs in general=Blight Upon Humanity.

EDIT: Plus, the whole concept of "the Matrix online" is just way too meta for my tastes.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
xJEDx said:
First Matrix movie=Pretty Good.
All other Matrix-related media=Utter Shit.
MMORPGs in general=Blight Upon Humanity.

EDIT: Plus, the whole concept of "the Matrix online" is just way too meta for my tastes.

Couldnt agree more.. as someone whose gone through alot of mmo's .. matrix will be the same as all the others... With a few minor differences here and their, they are all the exact same game mechanic in different clothes, you play them for 3 months(or 3 years) become the best(l33t, powerful, rich etc) you can, then realise one at 4am one morning, WHY THE FUCK AM I PLAYING THIS SHIT?

errorcode

Liturgist
what about the interlock system that makes combat timed turn-based or the fact that you can swap out your skillsets on the fly with no penalty (as long as you posses multiple skillsets)?

Voss

Erudite
Shit is shit, no matter what format its being shovelled out on people.

Details aren't exactly important if the core concept is crap.

DarkSign

Erudite
I think you guys are too harsh on MMORPGs.

Yes, their gameplay is quite limited compared to CRPGs.

Yes, the majority of people who play them are mindless drones.

However, there is a 5% chance that one of the bazillion MMO cash cows might have interesting gameplay.

TMOnline looks like it COULD be fun. A twist on a fighting game plus a changing skill set system and supposedly a backstory.

I wont judge it until I play it, but chances ARENT high that it will be my dream game.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I really don't see how it could possibly work without bullet time style stuff. You can't do bullet time in an MMORPG, because the time frame of reference has to be the same for all players. You can't just have Neo #9683 slowing down time to dodge a bullet on top of a building and have time maintain consistancy on the floor below him.

On top of that, how many people can be THE ONE? I mean, there's a reason he's called, "THE ONE", right? There's just ONE of them.

errorcode

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
I really don't see how it could possibly work without bullet time style stuff. You can't do bullet time in an MMORPG, because the time frame of reference has to be the same for all players. You can't just have Neo #9683 slowing down time to dodge a bullet on top of a building and have time maintain consistancy on the floor below him.

On top of that, how many people can be THE ONE? I mean, there's a reason he's called, "THE ONE", right? There's just ONE of them.
They have bullet time. When you use a special move or kill an opponent, there is a chance that bullet time will kick in so you can savor your kill. it's localized clientside, so no one but the people directly involved get any slowdown.

Plus, from what i saw at E3, the game takes place after the 3rd movie and picks up the storyline from there. So, there's no "THE ONE" anymore and player's will not become the one, everyone is on even footing.

Another thing that score points with me was that there wasn't the typical MMP combat, but a tactical almost turnbased system. no manic clicking, no beating randomly beating on each other till one dies.

Saint_Proverbius said:

NO there was seven cos of a rectal in consistency apro po of an answer to a problem in the code. The one in the movie was one after six other ones that were all kevin spacey and anyway morpheus was way cooler cos he shouts at hundreds of people and the white guy in teh chair is a pedo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom