Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The secret is:

Use LMB on her

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Well, sounds like incline to me. If they are gonna call it a mega boss then it better earn that name. Which it probably has. Cool.

It is. At first I was frustrated because I thought the boss was an overtuned HP sponge, but you actually need to use your brain in order to defeat her. Now I'm hyped for Seeker, Slayer, Survivor!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I literally can't land a single attack on the boss. Everything is 0% to hit, on Hard. Also it permakills out of nowhere. This might actually be a tough one.
As Sun Tzu has said, I can't debuff my enemy, but I can buff myself, or something to that effect.

Ok, I'm waiting for 3.0 for a second playthrough. The Eothas challenge should serve to satisfy some critics of the lack of urgency, it's great that they've done it, though a bit unfortunate that to activate the challenges you have to be on PotD with scaling only upwards.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Gameover message if you fail Eothas challenge

You feel a cold pressure settle over you as Berath asserts her presence. She says nothing, but her disapproval hovers like a storm cloud. You didn't act fast enough, and she has come to collect. Suddenly she jerks on a golden thread which extends out of your chest, pulling hard enough to ring the chime she placed there - which now tolls in your ears like a bell tower. The force of it severs your body from your soul, and you go screaming into the Beyond

Before this life fades into an indistinct blur, you think you hear thunder echoing off in the distance - like someone took a battering ram to the world. Wherever he is, Eothas got what he wanted. By the time you realize it, you're already gone - beyond all cares.

Yosharian

Arcane
Leak for Rymrgands challenge: Food items spoil after a certain amount of time

A new experimental feature? - "Allows the caster to shape area of effect spells, modifying their area and Power Level"
That's gonna have a massive impact on my play considering I hoard food forever due to fearing that I might need it for future battles

:negative:

Gameover message if you fail Eothas challenge

You feel a cold pressure settle over you as Berath asserts her presence. She says nothing, but her disapproval hovers like a storm cloud. You didn't act fast enough, and she has come to collect. Suddenly she jerks on a golden thread which extends out of your chest, pulling hard enough to ring the chime she placed there - which now tolls in your ears like a bell tower. The force of it severs your body from your soul, and you go screaming into the Beyond

Before this life fades into an indistinct blur, you think you hear thunder echoing off in the distance - like someone took a battering ram to the world. Wherever he is, Eothas got what he wanted. By the time you realize it, you're already gone - beyond all cares.

> Wherever he is, Eothas got what he wanted

As opposed to when you complete the game on time, which results in... oh wait...

:negative:

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh boy, they gave the Ranger even more Accuracy stacks? Oh well, he's gonna crit all the time now. Guess the combined effect will be better then a Berserker's or Fighter's critical conversions. Plus a Defense bonus, that's pretty cool and should help particularly melee ranger builds.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How so? Melee rangers should be pretty good now.
Whirling Strikes is probably the best aoe melee full attack already, but it's only available to pure rangers late game.
Also multiclass melee rangers should be pretty great now.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
With the addition of post-release content like the DLC expansions and mega-bosses, a sort of a "golden path" is forming through the game. I did nearly all bounties, progressed all factions' quests as far as I could, did all quests I found in Neketaka, and then finished BoW before going to Magran's Teeth, where at the start I was already lvl 20 on all the party.

With the new content coming, the amount of choice of what quests to complete in order to get to lvl 20 will increase, and some higher quality content like the DLCs and mega bosses will take priority over some of the not all that fun content like some of the bounties and some fetch quests.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is shaping up to be quite good in terms of combat content when all the DLCs are out. I find it disappointing they aren't tuning the classes and combat any more, though. Galawain is basically the only interesting challenge up to now too, everything else seems random and not really *challenging*. As in, they don't pertain to the difficulty at all, more like adding extraneous features that nobody wants (like durability, lol). It's still is indeed a bit hack and slashy, but eh, it's optional. It's also good they are so self-aware, focusing on the only worth you can squeeze out of this franchise - the combat.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
which now tolls in your ears like a bell tower

LIKE THE TOLLING OF SOME GREAT BELL

Dicksmoker-tier writing from Obsidian "Entertainment." What a bunch of hacks.
"When the dust settles" is an expression used approximately 9000 times in these texts.

"Then another, then another..." also.

2house2fly

Magister
The book that comes with the megaboss (presumably it's going to be added to lootlists?) is not a bad idea, gives hints on where to find it and how to beat it.
This traveler's guide is circulated for the benefit of newcomers to the Deadfire Archipelago. One passage stands out:

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS the spider Belranga. She is a menace to the isles, a poison-dripping terror of legendary proportions. Her RAVENOUS young swarm unwary travelers, and her rage is NIGH UNIMAGINABLE if a single broodling is harmed. Seek her out AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

The Deadfire Visitor's Preservation Society takes no responsibility for harm inflicted by knowing ignorance of the risks, and every effort has been made to keep travelers AWAY from the following coordinates: 8° 53' N 45° 25' E."

A map of Belranga's position is marked off with a wax seal in the shape of a skull. It points toward an island west of Ondra's Mortar.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Galawain is basically the only interesting challenge up to now too, everything else seems random and not really *challenging*. As in, they don't pertain to the difficulty at all, more like adding extraneous features that nobody wants (like durability, lol).

You haven't experimented with the challenges if you think that's the case.

Magrans - No pausing or slowing down time

Beraths - Permadeath if not revived in 6 seconds

Skaens - No way to prepare or position yourselves before combat

AwesomeButton

Patron
Rymrgand's challenge can turn out to be interesting, if the limitation extends to food and drink that's loaded on the ship, which should be the case, because the equippable items are the same.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
You haven't experimented with the challenges if you think that's the case.

Magrans - No pausing or slowing down time

Beraths - Permadeath if not revived in 6 seconds

Skaens - No way to prepare or position yourselves before combat

Magran is basically cheating, though, I think it'd be more tedious and chaotic than challenging. If anyone has tried it, feel free to share your experiences, but I don't think the game is designed for that. Berath is basically another version of Ironman, which sure, it's more challenging, but it doesn't add anything that wasn't there already and the same tactics that work for Ironman will work for Berath. Skaen is weird, but I guess everything would be more challenging without being able to scout ahead. While I do appreciate adding challenge without adding more mobs or having a smarter AI, I don't know if these kinds of effects are the most appropriate, and they smell more of lack of ideas than anything. If someone has tried playing through the game with them, I'd love to hear feedback.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Magran means learn to assign and play with hotkeys, and develop twitch reflexes with your mouse.

The gods' challenge game modes are primarily cheap in terms of man hours. It doesn't mean they lack ideas, just the budget. I would have preferred a big quest designed around each of the gods, but that's all we can have.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Galawain is cheap in terms of man hours, yet it isn't a random idea thrown into the mix, but somehow complements the gameplay. I guess also Skaen, but it's open to abuse, you can easily quicksave, scout ahead and then quickload. Or just have a character with high stealth. Magran really, really doesn't sound practical, it actually changes the genre, and I would've preferred it be something else. This game isn't like an RTS, where it's designed around controlling masses of units and their abilities in real time. Anyway, the thing is how exactly the challenges complement the gameplay, which they mostly don't. What exactly is the gameplay effect of Rymrgand and Abyddon?

2house2fly

Magister
Sawyer suggested in a tumblr answer that making abilities per-rest would be easy/cheap enough to implement that it might show up down the line

Lacrymas

Arcane
Isn't that what one of the pets does?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom