Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Mojobeard

Augur
Game only has option for 30/60?
Documents\My Games\DRAGON QUEST XI\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor and GameUserSettings.ini , FrameRateLimit=45.000000

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
For those with beefy GPUs:

You can increase the .ini file's Resolution Percentage (UE4's "supersampling" option, btw) beyond '100'. I didn't test it much since my GPU is weak and thus I won't be using this edit, but there it is anyway.

Also didn't test lowering it down further than '65', but I imagine it will do so by editing the .ini. FF15 goes up to '125' and goes down to '50', so I imagine it'll be the same here.

I don't use DSR but I've read that it's always better to use a game's built-in resolution scaling / supersampling than to use a forced one through the control panel, which is why this would be of interest. In terms of pixel scaling it's better to disable your control panel's DSR and use the game's scaling instead.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's harder than the Nintendo DS DQ's, and easier than the NES and SNES DQs. It's not as hard as SMT: Nocturne, but harder than every single other "modern" JRPG. With the stronger enemies option I'd say the difficulty is just about right.

However the japanese version, which lacks the stronger enemies option, is laughably easy.

Hm well. How much of a difference there's between the original DQ IV-VI with their respective DS remakes? V and VI remakes are less grindy, but also have less monsters to get into your team. I can't tell whether they tweaked parameters or not, but all Nimzo, Bjorn, Nocturne, Mortamor,Estark etc. have roughly the same attack patterns, still pack a wallop and attack twice a turn AFAIK.

Dragon quest IX you can't expect much progress without a competent team. And also has the legacy bosses. Still, the painful amount of tedious grinding you have to do for the prepping discourages to ever attempt in tackling legacy bosses....

BTW how many options in battle do you have early on at DQ IX? Still the old same sizzle/frizz/whoosh with fixed damage? The tension buff? Just smacking critters until they down with basic attacks?..

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Acquired for the PS4. I didn't notice having to pick a difficulty setting.

So far its press X to win.

Is difficulty that Draconion shit? I didn't pick any of that shit. Seemed like stupid choices.

Played about 3 hours. Game has good looks.

Music isn't to bad (it's midi?), but I have it set to 3. Just ambient like.

About to enter the 2nd town. Stopping for the night.

So far, I like it.

Zep--

Jinn

Arcane
Is difficulty that Draconion shit? I didn't pick any of that shit. Seemed like stupid choices.

You're going to miss out on a fair amount of challenge (if you don't grind a ton) without the Stronger Monsters option. Definitely is not hit X to win with that. I'd almost say it's worth restarting, honestly. You won't notice the challenge in the first few hours, but it starts to ramp up after that. As for the rest of the options? Yeah, more for hardcore replay material.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Zep Zepo

You just fucked yourself Zep, better restart and enable stronger monsters. Do it NOW while you still only have a few hours clocked.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
BTW, everybody's favorite modder Special "Kaldaiene" K. just released a version of his DLL injector fixer/mod for DQ11, so far it only has added HDR support for TVs that support it and he hasn't coded any performance fixes specific for DQ yet, but the injector/mod has an OSD that allows frame-rate limiting, fps display, forcing borderless/windowed/fullscreen, custom resolution on-the-fly (just type it into the injector's OSD), options to force the game to render on d3d9 or d3d10+, another option for specifiying the amount of CPU cores you want the game to use (or the game to THINK it's using via core-spoofing), lots of other parameters and tons of other shit no one will ever use.

I'm using it just to limit frame rate (limited to 57, using the rule of target FPS minus 3), force a custom resolution (going with 1792x1008), and forcing that into borderless, and the fps display. Pretty useful injector.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, is it shit?

Why would you think it was shit? No, it isn't shit. It's really good. If you like classic Dragon Quest games, you'll like this.

I mean I haven't really played classic Dragon Quest games so I'm curious about whether the fundamental formula turns up and is worthwhile in 2018, or if it's too much of a port of 1990s mechanics and is just good for what it is.

How does the JRPG formula stack up/is it actually a good game overall?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I think it stacks up just fine, and so far it's great. DQ formula is basic, but what it does... it does very, very well.

EDIT: Believe it or not, the biggest strength DQ series has is its writing, its characters and world. It is always a true pleasure to play in this world.

Jinn

Arcane

Basically just what aweigh said. Dragon Quest has never pretended to be about anything other than the simple fundamentals, but it does this extremely well. I'd say if you're going into it with an open mind and craving a great JRPG, then there is no way you won't like it. Otherwise, if you still have doubts, try out a classic Dragon Quest game and see if it's something you can get into. It's not always for everyone, but I find it's a type of game that just keeps getting better for me as I get older. Simple, elegant, with fun - and sometimes heart-wrenching - stories, great characters, excellent soundtracks, and some nice challenging moments.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zep Zepo

You just fucked yourself Zep, better restart and enable stronger monsters. Do it NOW while you still only have a few hours clocked.

yep, you can always turn it off if you find it bothersome, but you can't turn it on except at the beginning so it's worthwhile to just start with it on anyways. that being said every other DQ game except the first two never really required grinding if you use buffs and debuffs effectively...

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean I haven't really played classic Dragon Quest games so I'm curious about whether the fundamental formula turns up and is worthwhile in 2018, or if it's too much of a port of 1990s mechanics and is just good for what it is.

The DQ formula has remain mostly unchanged (new games add new stuff but often remove other things, but the core gameplay is the same as it has been since DQ1 (battle system) and DQ3 (which pretty much started the story/scenario template.) It gets away with this because that core gameplay is masterfully crafted and is a pleateau of incline.

DQ sticks with the tried and true, it doesn't try to reinvent itself every entry like Final Fantasy, which focuses more on gimmicks and spectacle for brainlets. While DQ focuses on adventure backed by good combat, world building and story vignettes for monocled individuals. Remember, Yuji Horii made DQ1 because he was a huge fan of Wizardry and wanted to make that type of game but with more emphasis on stories and scenarios.

Jinn

Arcane
Speaking of the storytelling. From about 6-7 hours in:

The way they handled the razing of Cobblestone village was really good. So, when the King first sends Jasper to Cobblestone, I thought "of course he's going off to burn it to the ground," but then later someone refers to it as an "investigation," which made me reconsider, even though I know what a common JRPG trope home villages getting burnt to the ground is. So when I finally returned, and (AWESOMELY) got transported through time by Yggdrasil to go talk to my dead grandfather and younger self, I was thinking "hmmm, everything must be alright in the village then, and when I get transported back I'll go see my mom." Totally threw me off guard when I suddenly came out of it to see everything around me destroyed. I don't know, it was just some tricky writing that had me both smuggly anticipating what was going to happen, then being surprised by it actually happening through subverted expectations.

Also, Erik is a true brother. Super likeable friend character.

The gameplay kind of just keeps getting better every hour too. Having a lot of fun with exploring, combat, leveling up, forging, and pretty much everything else I'm doing. Been hitting some really nice challenging normal encounters around Level 8-9. So thankful they released this in the west with increased difficulty. My general rule when I enter a new area is picking a few fights with any new monster I see, then avoiding that monster type for the rest of the map for the most part. It's pretty comparable to how many encounters you'd enter in any Chrono Trigger map. If I'm clearly getting my ass handed to me, I'll usually fight to my next level and start moving forward again.

Last edited:

Fred

Learned
The DQ formula is always the same.
A naive story with lovable characters and great game mechanics and progression system (and usually great music too). A huge post game.
But it's well crafted and executed. The characters are simple, often stereotypical, but they aren't dumb and don't act dumb like in a lot of other (j)RPG, where the plot is over complicated and the characters aren't making sense. I'm not sure how to properly express this, but how often in a game you facepalm because nothing make sense, the characters don't act in the very obvious way, so in the end you play the game while trying to ignore how dumb everything is around you.
In DQ everything is simple, but there is no facepalmy moment. Except the "but thou must !" questions they keep including (do you want to do this ? YES/NO, "NO" "Hoho did you really say no ? Don't do this to me, are you sure ? YES/NO" until you say yes xD).

Basically DQ games are comfy, nothing attack your senses, nothing insult your intelligence, there is no character you want to hit repetitively in the face to cure them of their stupidity. Except DQ2 of course which is I think one of the hardest jrpg around, this one isn't comfy.

jungl

Augur
You have to smoke a lot of weed to enjoy dragon quest games like I mean a SHIT ton of weed where you developing alzheimers before your 40s.

Jinn

Arcane
I have literally been playing this game all day. It is a masterpiece. If anyone who likes Dragon Quest has any reservations, or just good JRPGs in general, stow them and get this game. I'll be giving my full impressions in a day or two, but goddamn is this good.

Theldaran

Liturgist
even ps4 pro version is locked to 30fps.

hashtag pc master race

Well you know, the recommended GPU for this is a Vega 56, wew... PS4 can't even dream of that. Else, a 1060, also outside the scope of puny consoles.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm not familiar with the AMD cards, but I'm running it fine on a gtx 1050, obviously with shadows and lighting on "medium", no AA, 1080p and FPS hitting lows of 45 in intense areas.

That's fine for me, and considering this rig is years old and is made of entry-level parts, that's great. I have a feeling I won't be running Resident Evil 2 Remake very well, tho ^_^

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'm not familiar with the AMD cards, but I'm running it fine on a gtx 1050, obviously with shadows and lighting on "medium", no AA, 1080p and FPS hitting lows of 45 in intense areas.

That's fine for me, and considering this rig is years old and is made of entry-level parts, that's great. I have a feeling I won't be running Resident Evil 2 Remake very well, tho ^_^

Ah, yes, a 1050 is more than capable of running this game, it's actually above minimum reqs. The 1050 is also capable of running most of the current games.

Vega 56 is a monster, more comparable (if anything) to a 1070. Seems this game leans quite a bit towards Nvidia cards. Though an RX580 would definitely run it OK.

Get a new PC when Cyberpunk releases ;)

Curratum

I'm on an ancient CPU and the game runs pretty decently.

i3 2120 @ 3.3 ghz, 8 gb ram, R9 380 4gb. Playing at everything maxed out, at 1440 x 900.

It dances between 60 and 35-40 fps, averaging out something like 45 I would imagine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom