Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Exactly the opposite. D:OS 1 and 2 sold more than PoE 1 and 2.
A bit of an outlier. Compare Pillars to Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, and such.

Of course Pillars itself is an outlier if you look at Tyranny and Deadfire, so what we have left is that BG and NWN did significantly better than the Gold Box games, and ToEE. I guess there's no easy way to predict it anymore.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
A negative review of Baldurs Gate from one of the developers

Some cult classics are timeless. Take Fallout, for example. Every couple years I feel the need to install it again and relive the journey of the Vault Dweller.
Some cult classics don't age well. In its day and age, Baldur's Gate was a breakthrough, an epic journey that brought the magic of a pen-and-paper RPG campaign to the computer screen. But revisiting it after two decades made me realize that, unless you are a game designer, journalist or scholar, there's no reason to play it today. It's not about its age alone: it's about the fact that everything this game did, other games have since did better. There is a whole genre of games that do Baldur's Gate better than Baldur's game itself!
By modern standards, it's very poorly written. The story is a mediocre political thriller with zero depth -- nothing remotely like, say, Planescape: Torment. All the events you see in the wild are simplistic, and do not affect anything later in game. The companions are shallow, with little dialogue -- don't expect deep and nuanced characters like in Dragon Age. And let's not even start talking about the game's mechanics and combat system -- by modern standards, the rules based on D&D 2 edition are horribly archaic and just barely more playable than SSI's Gold Box mathfest.
In short: the game was incredible for its time. But today, whatever you liked about it -- story, combat, exploration, companions -- there are games that do it much better.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
pu6a1oQ.png

Your game is fucked boys.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finally saw the video (part 2), and the game looks like absolute dog shit. The lighting is bad, the 3D graphics and animations are absolutely disgusting, combat looks unintuitive and clunky

Visual style may be shit, but combat so far looks fucking amazing - its a perfect recreation of IE combat, like everybody wanted PoE to be. Just watching these videos gives me an erection. :bounce:

Fortunately we've long moved on since this outdated and hugely overrated IE system.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A negative review of Baldurs Gate from one of the developers

Baldur's Gate was a breakthrough,.. But revisiting it after two decades made me realize that, unless you are a game designer, journalist or scholar, there's no reason to play it today...
By modern standards, it's very poorly written. ... The companions are shallow, with little dialogue -- don't expect deep and nuanced characters like in Dragon Age. And let's not even start talking about the game's mechanics and combat system -- by modern standards, the rules based on D&D 2 edition are horribly archaic and just barely more playable than SSI's Gold Box mathfest.
I let this sink in. I hope you enjoy your deep and nuanced, well written characters in modern RPG, also the fantastic rulesets in them. Fuck this guy, whoever wrote this peace of shit. BG still has better world building, maps, enemy encounters and most importantly rules than 90% of RPGs today. And let's not talk even about BG2 which puts almost everything to shame today.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone that believes Dragon Age has "deep and nuanced characters" isn't to be trusted.
The secret to writing deep and nuanced Dragon Age characters:
1. take a regular D&D style character
2. add one secret backstory (plus point if it is a dark past)
3. unlock that backstory to the player through the game
4. GOTY all years!

PrettyDeadman

This one seems unlike many of the codex drones with copypasted opinions you can encounter on this forum.
Skimming through his review history gave me confidence in the game's writing quality!

ArchAngel

Arcane
You guys are acting like characters in BG and characters in DAO were not written by almost same people. Why can one person praise BG but bash DAO and that is considered OK?
I don't know what games you played but DAO I played has very similar but a bit more complex characters than both BG games.
Combat on the other hand is crap in DAO.

The guy was not saying DAO has better companions than PST, hold your torches..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom