Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trashos

Arcane
Dev Diary #1 - Meet The Companions

df7f856c87b1001433698d50de721ed1b103b311.png

Really, what's the probability that this bunch isn't going to start blabbering about white patriarchy? "Fantasy" my ass.

OK, OK, let's wait and see.

Here's some more info on companions:

Regarding Companions:

-There are 11 Companions total including Nok-Nok. They are all confirmed: Amiri, Ekundayo, Harrim, Jubilost, Nok-Nok, Octavia, Regongar, Valerie, Tristian, Linzi, and Jaethal. There will also be Custom Companions (which will not be voiced or have a real backstory but which you will be able to build from the ground up).

-Companion characters are a mix of New characters, iconic Pathfinder characters, and characters already existing in the AP.

-Custom Companions (like in Pillars of Eternity) are being implemented. They will be introduced by a Pathfinder Society Venture Captain.

-Amiri, the Iconic Barbarian, is a companion with a lot of backstory and events happening around her throughout the game. Amiri is the only Iconic Companion. Amiri will have her iconic weapon available and viable even for later parts of the game. Amiri is a Gorumite and she can be heard crying out "For Gorum!" as she rushes her foes.

-Jubilost Narthropple is a companion. He a cantankerous gnome, is kind of a jerk, and you can fail to recruit him if you screw up your attempt to help him out with his wagon (though you'll get a chance to try again later). He's also a character from the original AP. He is an alchemist now and uses a Heavy Crossbow by default. Chris Avellone really wants to work on him because Jubilost is a gigantic dick.

-Valerie is a blonde haired Human Woman from Brevoy. She is a Fighter, and a failed Paladin of Shelyn. Valerie's relationship with religion is complicated. When you meet her she is an atheist.

-Octavia is a female Half-Elf wizard/rogue/arcane trickster. She was once a "Bonded Servant" to Numeria's Technic League. She is friends with the Half-Orc companion Regongar.

-Regongar is a Half-Orc Magus who is also Octavia's Friend. He seems to be either Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil. He escaped (possibly with octavia) from the clutched of Numeria's Technic League. he likes using intimidate. Regongar was originally statted as a Sorcerer, but since the Magus was unlocked, he is now an Eldritch Scion Magus.

-Ekundayo, is a Thuvian Ranger from Absolom. He is Lawful neutral, has a Hound Animal Companion, and uses a Bow.

-Nok-Nok is a Goblin Companion who is probably a Rogue. He believes he is on his way to becoming a god. He is super loyal (for a Goblin) and was unlocked in the final hours of the Kickstarter campaign.

-Harrim is a Dwarven Cleric of Groetus. He has a Mohawk looking hairdo. He is a confirmed companion.

-Linzi is Halfling Bard. She decides to join you because she wants to record your story..

-Tristian is a Blonde Human Cleric of Sarenrae who can be seen in this image alongside Amiri, Octavia, Valerie and Regongar. He is a companion.

-Jaethal is a Elven Inquisitor of Urgathoa. Jaethal is Evil, and Undead.

-Companions can disagree with you, leave you, and even turn on you if they don't like you. They do NOT need to be in your party for this to happen. Companions are living people and don't stop existing just because you leave them home.

-The story can change considerably depending on your party composition.

-Each companion has an expandable novel style bio that expands as you learn more about them and progress in the game.

-You can take 5 Companions with you in a party at one time, for a total of 6 characters.

-You can level up your companions based on your own preferences, even changing their classes if you wish, there is however a suggested path, and you can have them auto-level if you wish instead.

-You will also be able to choose from several AI behaviors for your party members, allowing them to use spells and abilities or spend resources on their own. You can switch AI on and off for each character separately, there will be various options for AI. Currently there are fairly simple options for the AI (switched off, using attacks that do not spend anything, make use of everything aside from AoE and consumables, etc). This may be subject to change in the future. You can turn Companion AI on or off with the click of a button on the UI.

-Each companion will have one or several levels in a predetermined class when you meet them. You can level them any way you wish from there on out, but their "starting class" is preset.

-Chris Avellone really wants to write Amiri and Jubilost. He is definitely writing Nok-Nok.

-Companions definitely have an opinion, will act on that opinion, and will act strongly on that opinion (leaving the party is only one possible ending for companions you butt heads with). Mentions have been made of Companions turning on you as well.

-There are some companions that simply are impossible to influence with your charms, only your actions.

-Some of the companions come from as far as Absalom and even Thuvia and you will be able to talk to them about those lands.

-Companions' stories carry through (heroic and tragic, though both are not set in stone for each character) throughout the game to the very end.

-Companions have their own choices of deities. (Presumably these are pre-selected for them).

-You can of course put any gear you want on all the characters without restrictions (though this may be restricted on lower difficulties to keep newer players from doing things like putting full plate armor on the party wizard).

-You can influence companions' personality but that will rarely go as far as changing their alignment.

-Your companions can't be bribed with shiny loot to ignore your indiscretions. They can be bribed with attention, story decisions, and alignment based actions to like you more though.

Shadenuat

Arcane
She is a Fighter, and a failed Paladin of Shelyn. Valerie's relationship with religion is complicated. When you meet her she is an atheist.

:nocountryforshitposters:

-Custom Companions (like in Pillars of Eternity) are being implemented. They will be introduced by a Pathfinder Society Venture Captain.
:fuuyeah:

Terra

Cipher
-Companions can disagree with you, leave you, and even turn on you if they don't like you. They do NOT need to be in your party for this to happen. Companions are living people and don't stop existing just because you leave them home.
That could be interesting if done well. Most companion "reactions" in games tend to be them bitching at you a bit while in your party. If some of them actually stood against you a key plot moments because you went against there beliefs, that could be pretty cool. If there's one thing I'd say in NWN2's defense I really enjoyed trying to intimidate all the companions who turned on my character during the final encounter. Would definitely like to see more games get away from the "must be in your party to react" approach.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, because Mazzy was actually funny.

Also her becoming paladin was indeed a problem because she was a hafling trying to be like human warrior and romanticising knights of a different race whom she could never become.

One tradition Kingmaker takes from BG though is true - womyn generally are a bit more interesting than men. Although BG2 had interesting male characters in comparison to Kingmaker who are all fucking Valygars.

The thing is even BG1 was sometimes interesting enough to plagiarize literary and real life tropes.

Kingmaker plagiarizes standard modern fantasy tropes TM instead. It's a recycling circle of banal shit sadly.
Very unfair to claim that when you got 100s of hours of playing Bg1 and 2 vs a short blurb about companions past (this is not how and what they will be during the game)

Shilandra

Learned
She is a Fighter, and a failed Paladin of Shelyn. Valerie's relationship with religion is complicated. When you meet her she is an atheist.

:nocountryforshitposters:

:fuuyeah:

This has confused me for every game its mentioned in. How can an atheist exist in a DnD game? The gods are real and tangible and have massive, readily observable effects on reality to the point where them fucking with each other and not involving humans at all can have massive consequences for the mortal realm.

I could understand her being just not worshipping her old god anymore, or just not a practitioner who worships at all. But an Atheist? Really?

Payd Shell

Arcane
I think atheism in a setting where gods exist is supposed to be something like 'Yeah, an entity called xyz exists but it's not a god just because it's very powerful'.

jungl

Augur
Why don't crpg developers make a dnd rpg tailored for incels since we all are rapist racists that hate women. How about a evil oriented dnd campaign where you play a greenskins or beastmen where mostly everyone has a intelligence of 7. You control a small tribe that pillages temples have your goblins spear and rape warrior maidens. Have your burly 300 pound orc warriors chase down and eat halfings for their calorie uptake. Instead of conquering and ruling a kingdom destroy and pillage them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, I just noticed the game's "Imperial Edition" includes a season pass for three DLCs.

Seal12x12.png
A Season Pass. The Season Pass will automatically get you access to the first three packages of post-release downloadable content. These additions expand the world of the Stolen Lands and add new companions, locations, buildings, items, and most importantly - new adventures, memories and emotions for you to experience!

Copying Obsidian here too?

In the Kickstarter comments, BerserkerKitten says:

Kickstarter backers of $40 and $55 tiers get the extras from the Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Noble Edition.
Kickstarter backers of $75+ tiers get the extras from the Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Royal Edition.
The season pass will be sold as a separate add-on before the game releases.

Detailed announcement of season pass contents is still being worked on. It's not included in any of the Kickstarter tiers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Shilandra

Learned
Why don't crpg developers make a dnd rpg tailored for incels since we all are rapist racists that hate women. How about a evil oriented dnd campaign where you play a greenskins or beastmen where mostly everyone has a intelligence of 7. You control a small tribe that pillages temples have your goblins spear and rape warrior maidens. Have your burly 300 pound orc warriors chase down and eat halfings for their calorie uptake. Instead of conquering and ruling a kingdom destroy and pillage them.

Umm, well, I mean...

https://www.mangagamer.com/detail.php?goods_type=1&product_code=186

Here you go?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I thought this would come in august, not september the fucking 25, I havent played anything for almost 3 months now, give me something for the love of god:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom