Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
thanks chaps, primordia bought
If you're unsatisfied, let me know. My rule is that players who don't like it can have any of large number of keys I've got from variouys Kickstarters and charity bundles I backed using Primordia proceeds.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If you're unsatisfied, let me know. My rule is that players who don't like it can have any of large number of keys I've got from variouys Kickstarters and charity bundles I backed using Primordia proceeds.
If they didn't like Primordia they deserve nothing but Bundle garbage :argh:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If they didn't like Primordia they deserve nothing but Bundle garbage :argh:
There is a fair amount of that in the keys, so there's that, at least. :)

sser

Arcane
Developer
Picked up:

SYNTHETIK
Star Traders: Frontiers
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Halo Wars (very meh, should probably refund it if I'm not lazy)
Ground Control II

Average Manatee I started in Factions and did the quest to get to Prophecies. I need an E/Me build that only uses stuff Michiko teaches (plus the stuff you're given in the tutorial) and aren't skill quests in Prophecies so I can get to the Prophecies skill quests and trainers.

It's been almost a decade since I played and I had pretty much all the skills unlocked, so hard to say. Fire is generally the go-to for PvE. Some of the pulsating AoEs work well in normal mode (though not in hard mode because the AI is smart enough to get out of the area).

deuxhero

Arcane
Average Manatee
That's still the case as far as I can find. My current setup is
Aura of Restoration
Glyph of ELemental Power
Glyph of Lesser Energy
Arcane Echo
Firestorm/Breath of Fire (experimenting which to use)
Flare
Elemental Atunnment (Had to die a few times to get this one)
Resurrection Signet

Now I'm trying to reach the places in Prophecies with trainers and skill quests.

Last edited:
Average Manatee
That's still the case as far as I can find. My current setup is
Aura of Restoration
Glyph of ELemental Power
Glyph of Lesser Energy
Arcane Echo
Firestorm/Breath of Fire (experimenting which to use)
Flare
Resurrection Signet

Plus one "free" slot (there's a signet of capture there now. I'm trying to reach and kill Chung for his Elemental Attunement)

Flare is sort of a newbie trap. You're better off running Conjure Fire and wanding, way less energy requirement for basically the same damage. You could use a few more attack spells. Meteor Shower is a good superweapon for taking down bosses, knockdown can take most things out of the fight entirely. The real money elite skills come from Nightfall, with Searing Flames and Savannah Heat (and glowing gaze for energy). Elemental Attunement isn't bad though. Star Burst is also alright if you're brave, and it's Factions. Arcane Echo isn't really worth it unless you're duplicating something amazing with it, and Glyph of Elemental Power is just kind of bad.

EDIT: Apparently Flare got buffed to affect Adjacent enemies if you suffer from overcast, so it's kind of decent now.

Note that spells dealing damage directly are affected by armor, while almost all spells and skills that modify or trigger off attacks are armor ignoring (conditions like burning are also armor ignoring, each pip of degen is -2 HP/s, so -14 HP/s for burning). Conjure fire is one of these that ignores armor on its bonus. This is part of the reason Eles don't really scale well to high-end PvE (almost everything has high armor, health, and in hard mode avoids AoEs). They tend to be one-dimensional fire spammers outside of PvP and very specific farming or area-counter builds in PvE. So you might try a Necromancer/Mesmer/Ritualist if Elementalist starts to get old. Keep in mind that once you've unlocked a skill on any character you can buy it on any other character from any skill trainer, or learn it (or elite skills) from skill books. Similarly Heroes can use all unlocked skills. So a new character can get up to speed pretty quickly thanks to the old one helping out.

Also make sure to familiarize yourself with Guild Wars AoE-size descriptors. Terms like "in the area" and "nearby" are very specific, you can check in the PvP isle test area. Suffice to say that "in the area" of Star Burst is really dang huge. All the great spells you want to spam are at least nearby-range.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's absolutely no reason to play GW1 except for the pvp -- and I don't mean the random arenas. The story is borderline horrible and the pve is boring, for its age the game is pretty, though. Originally guild vs guild was meant to be the end game, but then pve kind of caught on among the larger population of players.
I clocked 2.5K in the game -- playing in a top guild against Koreans is about the best experience I've ever had in a computer game, but that was a fleeting moment.

However, if you insisit on carrying on your tomfoolery and you guys need resources or something, I could have a look through my characters inventories, if I bother to install the client.

deuxhero

Arcane
Average Manatee
I'll grab Conjure Flame. I only kept flare because it was free. Grabbing Star Burst is way above where I am (level 15, A Master's Burden). Grabbing Meteor Shower requires I actually get to the trainer in Tyria, which is proving annoying.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ruiner - aracdey goodness? wait for inevitable bundle fodder?

This is a pretty good dual-stick shooter. Only caveat I would underline is the dual-stick part. I thought it controlled like ass with KB&M, as most of those types of games do.

Heretic

Cipher
You know that the so called "dual stick shooters" started on PC with Abuse, right?
If a dual stick shooter controls badly, then that's on the devs.

Curratum

Hear, hear, dual-stick shooters on PC started at a time when PCs had no controllers with dual analog sticks! You heard it here first, fellas! :D

Heretic

Cipher
Ok, retard, once again:
The genre where you control the movement and aiming independently with two hands, which is today called "twin stick shooter", was created on PC.
If a game from this genre doesn't control well with KB + M, it's the devs' problem, not the genre's problem.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*facepalm*

From the top:

Gun Fight, known as Western Gun in Japan and Europe, is a 1975 arcade shooter game designed by Tomohiro Nishikado.
The game had two distinct joystick controls per player, with one eight-way joystick for moving the computerized cowboy around on the screen and the other for changing the shooting direction.

Robotron: 2084 (also referred to as Robotron) is an arcade video game developed by Eugene Jarvis and Larry DeMar of Vid Kidz and released by Williams Electronics (part of WMS Industries) in 1982. It is a shoot 'em up with two-dimensional graphics.
Robotron popularized the twin joystick control scheme, one that had previously been used in Artic Electronics' Mars and Taito's Space Dungeon, both from 1981, and originated with Gun Fight in 1975.

Here's an image of the arcade cabinet for Robotron:

118124215730.jpg

Yup, sure looks like a PC to me!

And just in case you'll try to weasel your way out by saying Abuse was the first Twin Stick Shooter on the PC... wrong again:

Llamatron (stylized Llamatron: 2112 on the title screen) is a computer game programmed by Jeff Minter of Llamasoft and released as shareware in 1991 for the Atari ST and Amiga computers and in 1992 for MS-DOS.

I hereby officially request a "Possibly Retarded"-tag on Heretic.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The genre where you control the movement and aiming independently with two hands, which is today called "twin stick shooter", was created on PC.
You mean like all those games where you move with wasd and aim with the mouse?
Doom is the best twin stick shooter of all time.
Nah, you aimed and moved with arrow keys. You shot with the other hand though.
You're wrong. Doom (Bethesda Softworks, 2016) is actually unplayable without a mouse. Nice try though.

Heretic

Cipher
I reacted to
I thought it controlled like ass with KB&M, as most of those types of games do.
That is provably wrong.

Abuse, Alien Shooter/Zombie Shooter, Crimsonland/Neon Chrome/Time Recoil/Jydge, Livelock, Leap of Fate... are all twin-stick shooters that control perfectly with KB + M.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom