Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Todd specifically mentions it's not a MMO - "you'll be in a world with dozens of other players, not hundreds or thousands, because it's the apocalypse".
I'm sure gamebryo had nothing to do with it.

Also FO4 was their smallest title and clearly not the result of 4 years' worth of work since skyrim, guess this was originally meant to be a part of it.

Mech

Cipher
i6BjjuS.png

nuke2.png

As opposed to pretty much every other multiplayer game out there were the objective is to murder everyone else with <insert weapon of your choice>?
Jon is possibly retarded.

Squid

Arbiter
I don't know what anyone here was really expecting. I'm not shocked. You gotta take the new Fallout games at face value. Not as cRPGs, not as Fallout games. Am I upset we'll probably never get another Fallout game in the vein of 1/2 or NV? Yeah. But multiplayer/co-op was just something they were headed for anyway. I'd honestly rather have this goofy co-op game than Fallout 4. I see this as a what if Borderlands was more like Fallout 3 kinda game and I can see that you can probably have a lot of goofy fun with it. It won't give you the things you want from RPG, don't expect that anymore.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm mostly curious how the lore of Fallout will be raped with this one. Strange brand of mutants never seen again and apparently the environment is safe to live in already after 20 years etc etc.

ZeniBot

Cipher
I don't know what anyone here was really expecting. I'm not shocked. You gotta take the new Fallout games at face value. Not as cRPGs, not as Fallout games. Am I upset we'll probably never get another Fallout game in the vein of 1/2 or NV? Yeah. But multiplayer/co-op was just something they were headed for anyway.

Interplay already did multiplayer with Tactics, this isn't anything new. None of what you said is anything new because of Tactics. I just wish that we had a Fallout game that had the multiplayer features that Divinity 2 shipped with, because that's how a fallout game should play, not this shit.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Todd did say they worked on a multiplayer mode for Fallout 4 to see what would work, but didn't include it. 76 seems to be the result of that, so there could be a lot of work they did between Skyrim and Fallout 4 that ended up in 76. It would explain why Fallout 4 is such a small game compared to Skyrim. This probably also means co-op modes will be a standard feature in Beth games going forward.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Here's all the gameplay they showed.

Summing it up will be just combat and looting all the junk you can get to craft shit.
So pretty much Fallout 4 + multiplayer...

EDIT: You can also collect nuclear missile codes and proceed to nuke the game world...

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
None of what you said is anything new because of Tactics.
Bethesda's Fallout is nothing like that though. And wasn't Tactics multiplayer just PvP? Not co-op as far as I remember. Anyway, my point is that Fallout is an entirely different franchise now and we can't really expect anything in the near future to sate our desires for something Fallout that older fans would appreciate. The likelihood of it happening is so slim.

I just wish that we had a Fallout game that had the multiplayer features that Divinity 2 shipped with
Same, to be honest. I just don't see it happening for a very, very long time, if ever.

Dodo1610

Arcane
So they finally did it they removed every single thing that made this series great and replaced it with bad gunplay, mindless grinding and Coop.

Cael

Arcane
None of what you said is anything new because of Tactics.
Bethesda's Fallout is nothing like that though. And wasn't Tactics multiplayer just PvP? Not co-op as far as I remember. Anyway, my point is that Fallout is an entirely different franchise now and we can't really expect anything in the near future to sate our desires for something Fallout that older fans would appreciate. The likelihood of it happening is so slim.
Fallout Tactics in coop would be the ruin of a ton of friendships. On one hand, you have the stealth guy who ambushes everything and make sure he gets all possible loot. On the other, you get Leeroy Jenkins starting a firefight in the middle of a Brotherhood bunker for the lulz. Or carpet bombing Kansas City.

jungl

Augur
fallout tactics coop roleplay online maps on gamespy were hilarious how they eventually devolve into a point in people getting bored and slowly killing each other.

Luzur

Good Sir

So, players can press X and renuke an area, and also take pics with your pals with a dead Deathclaw while doing goofy poses oh boy oh boy

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Just in, from Todd Howard interview at DoritoPope's show:

- you can play solo, but you see other players any way
- they don't want to make the game griefy, but want some drama
- VATS is there, but it's in real time
- no mods support confirmed. but they want to do it later as an update, probably with private servers

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Well shit. Todd & co. have completely lost it. I trudged through Fallout 3, I never played Fallout 4 and now I know Fallout as a franchise is dead.

It's an Xbox co-op now. Press F.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Curious if it will sell,the crowd wasn't that hyped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom