Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Curratum

I think I need to put this thread on pause until the game comes out and it's quite literally GTA V with NuDeus augments and "RPG" mechanics, then we'll all have a big laugh and move on.

Xzar

Augur
screen-a-mercenary-on-the-rise.5.jpg

I dont get the lore of this screenshot. There we have pink-haired punk on one of skyscrapers... Local corps promote punk culture? Then it cannot be counter-culture... I hope when you play as punk you get orders from local Soros then...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Except for that half-faced lady the concept art doesn't feel special at all. The first trailer is still one of the best videogame trailers ever made. This one feels like something hastily put together from some generic asset database. The editing is generic, the hero with a generic voice says generic things and the music is terrible. Super disappointing given that everything CDPR has done so far always felt very special and unique.

Not getting the bitching about GTA tho, a GTA-like cyberpunk RPG is exactly what I want and expect from the game.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dont get the lore of this screenshot. There we have pink-haired punk on one of skyscrapers... Local corps promote punk culture? Then it cannot be counter-culture... I hope when you play as punk you get orders from local Soros then...
Rockstars (rockerboys) are a part of the lore, actually a character class of its own in CP2020. And they look, well, kind of punky. Some of them are sellouts. What comes to latter, I wouldn't be surprised to see a mega celeb being projected on a skyscraper wall, think it happens even today?

sin

Educated
2013:
CDPR: "We want to put more punk into ours. We do not want to make a dark and hopeless world. We are not doing Blade Runner. It will be full of rock and roll." (source)

2018:
CDPR releases a trailer that aligns with their vision. Reactions: too much brightness, where's endless rain, why there's a huge fucking city with lots of vehicles, why it isn't cyberpunk as pictured in Blade Runner?

:greatjob:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
While I like the tone in trailer waiting for the game killed what little interest I had. I can understand why they don't want to give exact release window but not an even 2019 call?
Come on...

Last edited:

AbstractKazzy

Novice
I don't really see the GTA comparisons at all. I agree that the older trailer was better but don't really see why the new one is apparently the worst thing ever.

Dexter

Arcane
CDPR releases a trailer that aligns with their vision. Reactions: too much brightness, where's endless rain, why there's a huge fucking city with lots of vehicles, why it isn't cyberpunk as pictured in Blade Runner?
Because people collectively have a specific image in mind when they see "Cyberpunk", and it's not a colorful and happy-looking Vice City-like. They have likely seen Blade Runner (the original, and possibly the recent sequel), Matrix or the recent series Altered Carbon on Netflix, they might have played some games like Deus Ex or Shadowrun, maybe Syndicate, seen some Anime like Ghost in the Shell, Ergo Proxy, the recent Psycho-Pass or similar, possibly read some books like Neuromancer (whose author agrees with the general sentiment) with a very similar feel on their covers. They think night, skyscrapers with neon lights and evil corporations, not bright sky and actual "punks". And CDProjekt didn't particularly make it a point to dissuade anyone from that view with their first Teaser Trailer or the interview with Mike Pondsmith about it, on the other hand they likely won't have read some old GameSpot interview. You can also go to Google Images, input "Cyberpunk" and see what kind of images pop up (aside from the recent influx from E3) and will get a similar view. So it is not very surprising that this isn't up to their expectations and it naturally clashes with it, you can try to be a smartass about it but that won't change anything about it. This doesn't mean that it's necessarily bad or they can't make it good and change this or adjust people's expectations before it comes out, it just means it's not what people expected and they're going to comment on it.

And yet we haven't seen a single frame of gameplay.
I really doubt we're going to see gameplay any time soon. I'm strongly suspecting that Cyberpunk 2077, along with The Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield are going to be "Next-Gen" games, so likely 2020 along with the Launch of the new consoles as incentives to buy them, with a toned-down version for the current generation of consoles. I doubt they even locked down gameplay to the necessary degree that they could point out in-depth how all the systems will work in the final game at this point, and reception they're getting this E3 might have an influence on how it develops.

Last edited:

imweasel

GTA Los Angeles 2077

CD Potato Red probably didn't need to license Cyberpunk to make that. They could have just called it 'Grand Theft Potatoblade 2088' and nobody would have ever thought it has anything to do with Cyberpunk.

BTW, has anybody figured out why the protagonist has a toaster built into his collar?
rating_shittydog.gif

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A game trailer gets released and the vision doesn't coincide with what someone imagined. Shocking news, really.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

screen-a-mercenary-on-the-rise.5.jpg

Night city is divided by sector.. the zone with the skycrapers and more new of the city is the corporate quarters... there also middle class areas and the worst part of the city the combat zone... there is where all the poors and the lower criminals are segregated... also there is no police there.

Frozen

Arcane
Those skyscrapers only need sprites running around to be complete.

Next gen right there in 1280x1024

bataille

Arcane
Damn, I didn't expect the trailer to change my mind, but now I'm genuinely interested. Good to see that they've been able to assemble a decent design team in glorious Poland wastes.
The trailer showed a lot of interesting images and situations, too, so I'm very optimistic about the more substantial aspects of the game as well. I just hope it won't have filler stuff like those map markers in Witcher 3 or the everpresent quest compass. Paint me fabulously optimistic on that one, though.

Last edited:

janior

Arcane
Patron
Damn, I didn't expect the trailer to change my mind, but now I'm genuinely interested. Good to see that they've been able to assemble a decent design team in glorious Poland wastes.
The trailer showed a lot of interesting images and situations, too, so I'm very optimistic about the more substantial aspects of the game as well. I just hope it won't have filler stuff like those map markers in Witcher 3 or the everpresent quest compass. Paint me gloriously optimistic on that one, though.
ill smash ur skull

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Yes there is a pretty good promise there with the trailer i think they nailed a lot of things that were in the pen and paper game pretty much well
. Also despite what most people believe Cyberpunk never been dark and gritty.. it mostly depends on where you are.. For example the combat zone is very calm in daylight but wakes up at night... It has for sure dark and gritty thematics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom